Fitness help needed.

Fitness help needed.

This is a discussion on Fitness help needed. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry if this way to off topic but I need all the help and input I can get.. And I do not know where to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitness help needed.

Fitness help needed.

Sorry if this way to off topic but I need all the help and input I can get..
    And I do not know where to turn..

My husband is 5.9' and 220 pounds..and now he hates himself and me,since its my fault that he went from his 175 pounds when we met.
    I love to cook and to spoil him.And now I would really like to help him anyway I can..I love him just the way he is but today he figured out that
    he wanted to become a police officer and is to fat to do so..

Since I can eat chocolate and junk food without gaining any weight I do not know much about diets..So I would really,really appreciate any help,tips or diet plan recommendations you might have..

I would like to make plan for him and help him stick to it..What plan can I give him that will help him loose his 45 pounds wish?

Help..

I was up to right at 220 and lost 35 lbs. in about 3 months drinking nothing but water. I would eat my normal meals, but instead of sweet tea or soda, I would just have water. No guarantees, but it did work for me. Hope that helps.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Sorry if this way to off topic but I need all the help and input I can get..
    And I do not know where to turn..

My husband is 5.9' and 220 pounds..and now he hates himself and me,since its my fault that he went from his 175 pounds when we met.
    I love to cook and to spoil him.And now I would really like to help him anyway I can..I love him just the way he is but today he figured out that
    he wanted to become a police officer and is to fat to do so..

Since I can eat chocolate and junk food without gaining any weight I do not know much about diets..So I would really,really appreciate any help,tips or diet plan recommendations you might have..

I would like to make plan for him and help him stick to it..What plan can I give him that will help him loose his 45 pounds wish?

Help..
    I have found that portion control is the key to losing weight. We have all lost sight of what a normal portion is because of the huge portions served at most restaurants. I know that "Weight Watchers" has a number of different diet plans to meet the different needs of people, and it is not just for woman.

The other key aspect of weight loss is exercise. Dieting without excercise, including weight lifting, and particularly cardio, is likely to be much less effective. Muscle burns calories much more efficiently then fat, so the more fat converted to muscle through lifting weights, the greater the weight loss.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Does he work out? Strength training is the best place to start!
    Muscle burns fat!! Strength training and cardio 4 days a week, this will also help him in the LE field! Diet's don't always work, as long as you use common sense you can eat just about anything as long as you put in the work on the bench!! If he is working out you don't want to limit some fat's and carbs That's where most of your energy comes from, as long as you use said energy to build muscle. Get him a subscription to mens health!! Good luck!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

see your family physician - no one should start a diet or physical exercise plan with out a consult first....

does he drink beer or soda? (stop)
    snack foods? (Stop)
    exercise!! (walk, jog, run, bicycle, swim etc)

forget fad diets - they only work for the short term - and recent studies show that they may be hazardous to long term heart health...

Burn off more than you take in.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Cut out soda and as much carbs as you can. Don't eat before going to bed, (want at least 3 hours in between). If you are going to eat a lot of carbs, better to do it in the morning than the evening.

Cut back on portions if at all possible. Start being more active. Start small and build up. Make goals. Walk 1/4 mile, walk 1/2 mile, walk a mile, run 1/4mile, walk 1/4 mile. Etc. Build up to being more fit. As long as you are hitting goals the experience is better and you want to continue.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

AZ is right, you have to burn more than you intake, that is they key.

Eating healthy is neccessary, and watching fluid intake, lots of water is good, but a lot of fluids have tons of carbs or sugar in them (alcohol, soda, sport drinks, energy drinks) that can offset just eating healthy.

Exercise, walk, jog, run, do calisthenics. In my experience cardio helps to lose weight, while lifting will add bulk and burn fat at a slower rate. So lots of cardio, like every other day or so.

And also he has to have patience with the programs, so weeks will yield bigger gains than others, so may not yield any, losing weight is a process that takes time in order to do in a healthy manner.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Burn off more than you take in.
    +1. That's really all there is to it. Each lb = about 3,500 calories. If, in a week, you burn 7,000 more calories than you eat, you'll lose 2 lbs...... 8-10 lbs in a month.

I love him just the way he is but today he figured out that he wanted to become a police officer and is to fat to do so..
    5'9"/220# isn't necessarily "ugly"; it is dangerous. Stinks to be 35 with a heart condition, or 45 with a stroke.

Best suggestions:
    1) Don't eat out (doesn't sound like you do).
    2) Single servings. Basically, meats and starches should be slightly smaller than a slice of bread, maybe the size of a slice of cheese.
    3) The American Diabetic Assn. Diet is really perfect. It's the format Jenny Craig and many others use, with minor variations.
    4) Snack on fruits & veggies, vs Coke & chips.
    5) If he tolerates it, eat the same things at the same times (him, not necessarily you). As in, oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Ham or turkey sandwich with light mayo, etc., etc., every day for lunch. This takes decisions and crisis out of mealplanning. He knows what he eats, he gets it. If a diet requires too much planning or prep, he won't do it.

It sounds like you do the cooking. Go Asian, Mediterranian or traditional Mexican/Indian. Lots of veggies with modest amounts of bread, meats & cheeses.

Rule of thumb: if it involves baking, uses more than 1/2 cup of sugar(for 4+ servings),or must be served on a plate larger than an 8" saucer, its too much.

I'm a 30+ year type I diabetic who enjoys cooking. Some of the above may seem Spartan, but to be honest, love is healthy, not fattening.

The rest is up to him. He needs to talk with his doctor, but a good rapid 30 minute walk each day shouldn't be a problem. Weights, as much as he can. Resistance is a good burner. He should be able to get a copy of the PD physical requirements- that's his training manual. A diary may help. Paul Sharp, on www.totalprotectioninteractive.com has some good ideas (search "training journal" IIRC). Good luck!

He do not drink soda but tea and coffee..we dont get to much workout but he tried to cut back on what he eats but I feel guilty for feeding him cake and stuff..

guess his biggest problem and now mine is that he has no patient..he require results to fast..in anything..

i do all the cooking so he will eat what I serve him so its kind of my fault..

but thanks for your tips

Since I can eat chocolate and junk food without gaining any weight I do not know much about diets..
    Step 1 = don't keep any of that junk in the house. Purge the house of all crap.
    Step 2 = cook the right food (the right portions, the right ingredients).
    Step 3 = he needs to exercise.

Repeat for about a year.

It want take long at all, If he don't workout now, he will be amazed what his body can do in 90 days. 30 minutes of cardio and a 30 minute weight training schedule 4 days a week is all it takes! Once you start seeing your body change for the better it's addictive! I don't like running (knees and ankles can't take it) Swimming is best (but I don't own a pool) so I do rows! Cardio, legs,back, and arms in 1. If you can sell him on reading mens health and stick to a 90 day workout plan (90days is the key after that it's habit) He will feel better and look better!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Without exercise, low cal diets can do more harm long term. Without muscle stimulation, some of the weight lost WILL be muscle tissue. Every pound of mucle lost means the body will burn less calories per day by itself, evolving to mean that the same number of calories per day that made him fat over say the last 2 years or so, will make him fat in even less time. Add muscle=burning more calories, even sleeping.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The nice thing about a good workout program is it will prepare him for the strenuous physical training at the academy. Have him work harder than he normally would after he loses that weight. Being in top physical condition entering the academy is the best thing you can do.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links