Teen arrested fer stun gun (Merged)

This is a discussion on Teen arrested fer stun gun (Merged) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police in Connecticut say a 14 year old made a stun gun, using a disposable camera and attempted to fire it at another student. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen arrested fer stun gun (Merged)

Police in Connecticut say a 14 year old made a stun gun, using a disposable camera and attempted to fire it at another student. The boy's father says police are overreacting. (April 3) Author: AssociatedPress Keywords: homemade stun_gun police: teen makes stun gun camera Added: April 3, 2008

I'm wondering what woud happen today if ya got zapped by a cattle prod like we did back in my school,then the cop says electricity is no joke it can kill.yep i guess 50,000 plus volts are possible death and i'm no electrician but it's high amps that cause the problem if i remember correctly and i don't think 1 AA battery has enough juice in a disposable camera to do it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

UGLY: Student Brings Homemade Stun-Gun To School

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Teen arrested for bringing weapon to school

Clinton (WTHN) _ A high school teenager is under arrest after allegedly threatening a classmate at the Morgan School in Clinton.

The 14-year old is accused of bringing a make-shift stun gun to the high school. His father says the whole matter is a big misunderstanding.

Clinton Police say the 14-year old turned a disposable camera into a "stun gun-like" weapon that could shock. He allegedly meant to use it on another student. The school resource officer was called in and the teen was arrested.

"A homemade device that he made off of information that he obtained on the Internet, he actually brought it to school and attempted to deploy it on another student in school," Sgt. Jeremiah Dunn, of the Clinton Police Department, said. "He was unsuccessful and no one was injured."

The teen's father, Bret Haughwout, was visibly shaken when he spoke to News Channel 8. Haughwout says the whole matter has been blown way out of proportion.

"In speaking with my son, he has shown me what he did and that was to take a standard disposable camera, open it up take the inside out and demonstrate to people that if you press the button that normally activates the flash, and then touch between those 2-terminals," Haughwout said. "One gets a minor shock equivalent to what a 9-volt battery touched to your tongue would do. Over this he's been arrested on a class D felony?"

In all, the teen has been charged with possession of a weapon on school grounds, attempted assault and breach of peace. He's scheduled to be in court in two weeks.
    This one also happened about 40 miles away.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Science project?

Another example of zero tolerance run amok........!

That is so stupid!!
    9-volt battery =felony = STUPID
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I can't believe they are saying he MADE the weapon. He figured out that the camera had a capacitor. SO WHAT? He didn't invent or create this thing, he took it apart to see how it worked. Haven't we all?

Let's ban all disposable cameras now!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there is a connection between the adoption of the zero tolerance policy and increased school violence. It seems to me that once they took the right to defend yourself out of schools the more aggressive violence began to rise. Instead of two people solving their problems between themselves it's esculated over time because they feel they can't do anything else to defend themselves. Think about it, if someone beats up on you every day and the teachers don't do anything about it, would you eventually become more angry on take matters into your own hands to defend yourself?
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

Give me break, who hasn't done somthing like that...
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Everything is on You Tube nowadays. People need to relax some.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centermass View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there is a connection between the adoption of the zero tolerance policy and increased school violence. It seems to me that once they took the right to defend yourself out of schools the more aggressive violence began to rise. Instead of two people solving their problems between themselves it's esculated over time because they feel they can't do anything else to defend themselves. Think about it, if someone beats up on you every day and the teachers don't do anything about it, would you eventually become more angry on take matters into your own hands to defend yourself?
    I certainly am not the type that will stand there and get punched and kicked. A suspension is easier to deal with than broken bones, punctured organs, and even death. Fortunately for me though, I never got into any fights in school. I don't like to or want to fight anyone, but I will if its a matter of life or serious injury/death.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Up until middle school, I delt with bully's and bigger kids pushing me around. I wasn't and am still not very big. What turned it around for me was that I was being picked on by two kids that were one grade above me. They would find me every day after school and push me around. My dad noticed that I was "depressed" and didn't want to go to school. See, I was always under the impression that if I got into a fight at school for any reason that I would get in trouble with him once I got home. Well, that changed once I told him what was going on. He told me that I would NEVER get into trouble for defending myself. Next day, same thing after school, BUT this time I hit the smaller one and slammed the others head against my locker. Sure, I got beat up a little more that day, but I felt better having at least tryed to defend myself. Every time they picked on me I defended myself after that. Which wasn't to often because they knew I wasn't taking it anymore. I wouldn't say I was weak. I worked out and was pretty fit, I just didn't know where the line was, so I was scared to cross it. I never in my life started a fight, but my dad taught me how to finish one. I got into a lot of fights in middle school, but by the time I reached high school I had a reputation. I never fought in high school. It was known, no matter how big you are I will fight back. To this day, I have never lost a fight against someone close to my size. And have lost very few to guys bigger than me. On a side note I can say that I ended up being friends with alot of the people that I fought. They respected me. When I had kids and they were old enough to understand I made it very clear to them how this worked. I told them that if they ever start a fight they will have to deal with me, but if someone lays a hand on them, they are free to defend themselves no matter what the school says. I'll deal with the schools myself. The main point is that back them they didn't have the zero tolerance policy and I was able to defend myself BEFORE it got to the point where I wanted to do something like bring a gun or other deadly weapon to school to finish it. I absolutely do not condone violence at school, but I don't want my kids to feel and take what I went through. Would these kids that we have seen on tv and in the newspapers have reacted like they did if they would have been allowed to defend themselves without being scared and letting the anger boil until it boiled over?
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

When i was in school we had kids sneaking in cattle prods ,somebody be walking past their locker and all of a sudden holy mother of god i been struck by lightning,we'd laugh and go to class nowadays ya get caught with a fly swatter you're going to jail
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    That is so stupid!!
    9-volt battery =felony = STUPID
    I totally agree with this statement!! That is completely blown out of proprotion!!! I dont see how you can be charged with a felony with a shock of a 9 volt battery!!!!

We did cattle prods under the bleachers.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

AEA
    Up until middle school, I delt with bully's and bigger kids pushing me around. I wasn't and am still not very big. What turned it around for me was that I was being picked on by two kids that were one grade above me. They would find me every day after school and push me around. My dad noticed that I was "depressed" and didn't want to go to school. See, I was always under the impression that if I got into a fight at school for any reason that I would get in trouble with him once I got home. Well, that changed once I told him what was going on. He told me that I would NEVER get into trouble for defending myself. Next day, same thing after school, BUT this time I hit the smaller one and slammed the others head against my locker. Sure, I got beat up a little more that day, but I felt better having at least tryed to defend myself. Every time they picked on me I defended myself after that. Which wasn't to often because they knew I wasn't taking it anymore. I wouldn't say I was weak. I worked out and was pretty fit, I just didn't know where the line was, so I was scared to cross it. I never in my life started a fight, but my dad taught me how to finish one. I got into a lot of fights in middle school, but by the time I reached high school I had a reputation. I never fought in high school. It was known, no matter how big you are I will fight back. To this day, I have never lost a fight against someone close to my size. And have lost very few to guys bigger than me. On a side note I can say that I ended up being friends with alot of the people that I fought. They respected me. When I had kids and they were old enough to understand I made it very clear to them how this worked. I told them that if they ever start a fight they will have to deal with me, but if someone lays a hand on them, they are free to defend themselves no matter what the school says. I'll deal with the schools myself. The main point is that back them they didn't have the zero tolerance policy and I was able to defend myself BEFORE it got to the point where I wanted to do something like bring a gun or other deadly weapon to school to finish it. I absolutely do not condone violence at school, but I don't want my kids to feel and take what I went through. Would these kids that we have seen on tv and in the newspapers have reacted like they did if they would have been allowed to defend themselves without being scared and letting the anger boil until it boiled over?
    I had a similar situation when I was about 12. Two guys from school came to my house and called me out. They said I was messing with one of their's sister, which of course I wasn't and did not know why they were after me. I was scared to go outside and they were out there banging on the door and telling me to come out and how they were going to teach me a lesson.........

My Dad was there and he told me what had to be done. After talking with him, and still a bit scared, I went outside and took both of these guys on. One ran when he saw that I meant business and the other got the fight of his life and lost. My Dad ended up pulling me off him while I had him down on the ground and beating him badly.

Needless to say, I never had another problem from those two or anyone else in that school. Ever.......

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that there is a connection between the adoption of the zero tolerance policy and increased school violence.
    Zero Tolerance = Report Everything as an Assault

When everything is considered an assault "reported" school violence increases.

As "reported" school violence increases Zero Tolerance becomes more widely instituted.

See the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links