Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks

This is a discussion on Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks; Gunman Pleads No Contest - Local News | News Articles | National News ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks

FOXNews.com - Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks; Gunman Pleads No Contest - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Florida Retirees Resort to Firepower to Take Out Pesky Ducks; Gunman Pleads No Contest

Saturday, April 05, 2008

It's a debate waged in apartment complexes and residential communities across the country: Feed the neighborhood critters or shoo them a way?

A Florida retirement community did a little more than shoo, choosing instead to shoot at the Muscovy ducks that had fouled the pool and become a general nuisance for residents, according to a report by MyFOXTampaBay.com.

The Clearwater retirement community's homeowners association voted to obtain a firearm permit and entrust one of their own, Bruce Streeter, with eliminating the ducks.

"Because he's the youngest in here, and he can still see well to have a good aim," fellow resident Debbie Clayton told MyFOXTampaBay.com.

Streeter said he only hit two or three, but that was enough for animal cruelty charges to be filed. Streeter pleaded no contest and had to pay about $300 in court costs, which were covered by donations from his neighbors, according to the TV station.
    Ducks not in season?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

That needs to happen in more places. People think they are cute when they come out and throw bread to them, but when they take up residence in a pond or lake, it gets real nasty real fast.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I think the P.C. types in that area need a redefinition of terms. Cruel might be setting a wire or steel trap. But when a plague of animals comes to foul the "farm" and make it unliveable, eliminating the pests is a time-honored method for restoring the balance. I'm surprised he pleaded "no contest." I'm assuming the HOA picked up the tab. Offended sensibilities. What a sad precedent.

Ants are fine. They're highly necessary, just not inside my home. Those that do get eliminated.

Skunks, racoons, mice and other little critters are fine, just not inside my home or to the degree they make my place unliveable. Those that do get eliminated.

Wolf reintroduction in the Rocky Mtns is wonderul, so long as they don't cull the herd or threaten people. Those that do ... get eliminated.

It's the way that works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    A good dog would have done the same without the hassle.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    A dog would require feeding, watering, walking, a fence or chain to contain it, and the poop/pee could 'foul' the area as well. LOL, still might be less hassle that the route they went. OTOH, $300 isn't such a bad price to pay to be rid of the problem, although I doubt they are rid of the problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Administrator

North Park here in PA is overrun with geese.
    Goose poop covers nearly every square foot of the park.
    It contains E-Coli and other bad stuff and has proved harmful to park visitors - Especially Small Children (who constantly touch things and then place fingers in mouth or rub their eyes) as well as not healthy for pets.

The have signs up all over the place telling folks to "pick up" after their DOGS and there is goose & duck excrement absolutely EVERYWHERE.

That sure makes sense.

I won't even take my dog there anymore.
    It's a toxic waste land of bird crap.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I wonder if we could send them some bird bombs? It sounds like the perfect excuse to break out an suppressed .22.
    "Just blame Sixto"

From what I've been told (never tried it) you can wad some bread around an Alka-Seltzer tablet and kill birds that way. Apparently they are unable to burp, so the gas builds up in their stomachs and they pop. Maybe if these folks had asked their children/grandchildren for some devious ideas they would have come up with something....

Austin

They should have open season in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    A dog would require feeding, watering, walking, a fence or chain to contain it, and the poop/pee could 'foul' the area as well. LOL, still might be less hassle that the route they went. OTOH, $300 isn't such a bad price to pay to be rid of the problem, although I doubt they are rid of the problem.
    Not if he's fast enough...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Not if he's fast enough...
    They can get pretty fast when their bellys are empty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Shooting ducks out of season/without a permit can get pricey. Since ducks are typically federal wildlife requiring state and federal stamps as well as small game permits to hunt. They do cause lots of problems when fed and treated like a pet.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The malls around here use starter pistols and lights...seems to work for them.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    From what I've been told (never tried it) you can wad some bread around an Alka-Seltzer tablet and kill birds that way. Apparently they are unable to burp, so the gas builds up in their stomachs and they pop. Maybe if these folks had asked their children/grandchildren for some devious ideas they would have come up with something....

Austin
    you get caught feeding birds alka seltzer and it's a big time cruelty charge and if it's a migratory bird you're looking at federal wildlife charges,people use to toss alka seltzer to seagulls and they's blow up in the air,they can't burp or toot so the expand until they pop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wouldn't consider that cruel, but then I wouldn't consider shooting birds with a shotgun cruel either. Hopefully I'll be on the jury.... I think cruelty would be tying animals up and disecting them alive, or burning them alive, something like that. If you don't have a dog or a shotgun, and you need to kill some birds, what options do you have?

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links