Some "interesting" things that have happened at school...

This is a discussion on Some "interesting" things that have happened at school... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some years ago a distraught mother of a student brought a gun to school and actually shot one of the faculty - in the leg ...

Thread: Some "interesting" things that have happened at school...

Senior Moderator

Some "interesting" things that have happened at school...

Some years ago a distraught mother of a student brought a gun to school and actually shot one of the faculty - in the leg or hip as I recall. She was tackled by one of our administrators!

Not too long after 9/11, I walked out into the wide hallway/lobby entrance in our building and there was a bookbag in the middle of the hall. No one was around, no one seemed to belong to it, so I called security. I checked my faculty handbook to confirm that teachers are not allowed to do things to get themselves blown up. By the time they got there, a woman came out of the women's restroom, picked up the bookbag and started walking off. Anybody could have walked off with her unattended bookbag. It was right in the middle of the hallway. I had a little polite, respectful, talk with her; she was embarassed.

There was a similar incident where a bookbag was left in the same hallway but near some couches. I watched and waited, called security and finally a guy comes and picks up the boodbag, security and I both had a talk with him.

Then, not so long after Columbine, I'm going down the hall and see a guy approaching with a long black leather coat on. It was too warm for the coat and his arms were not in the sleeves but rather concealed inside the body of the coat. I did not like that. I watched where he went and then went on to my class. I wondered through the whole class period if we were going to start hearing booms. We didn't so I dismissed it. Two days later, here comes this same guy, in the same coat with his right arm inside the coat exactly the way you would conceal a long gun under this long black coat. The next day, I couldn't stand it any longer so I reported it to security. The next class period they were literally out in force but discrete. This time the guy doesn't have the coat on. If he had, I'm quite sure security would have had a talk with him.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The long coat would sure have had me worried!! Suspicious old goat that i am!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

This is why I wish I at least had a choice in CCW or not at work. I'm still not confident about whether or not I actually would but I would try to see if it could work. It's not for protection from any students, which is the misconception many seem to have.

Imagine someone loses a custody battle in court, and they show up the next day to kill the child they lost custody of... Honestly if someone showed up at the front door and shot the secretary, it'd be 30 seconds before anyone knew what was even going on.

Senior Moderator
    You're preachin' to the choir, Euc. I know exactly what you mean.

Oh yeah, one other rather tense experience I personally had. I confronted a student about how he had finished his lab so quickly. It was pretty obvious he was lost and didn't want to try. He jumped up and yelled, "I've got more things going on in my life than school! I can't go through another holiday season; I might as well take my gun and shoot myself!"

There was a table between him and me and students all around him. I didn't know if he meant he might as well shoot himself now or wait until he got home. I thought, if now, would he try to take some of us with him or hurt someone unintentionally with an errant bullet! I moved around the table, preparing myself to attack at the first indication he was reaching for a weapon. I got him calmed down and took him to another room and talked to him. He calmed down and it seemed to be the "defusing" support he needed.

Later, after he had missed about three classes, and I couldn't reach him at his home phone, I called the local PD and they went to his house to investigate. They determined that he had drunk a sizeable amount of anti-freeze and was in emergency at a local hospital. He was on dialysis for about 5 weeks because the anti-freeze shut his kidneys down. They finally restarted.

Links