The Road

The Road

This is a discussion on The Road within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy, who also wrote No Country For Old Men and All The Pretty Horses, plus others I am ...

Thread: The Road

The Road

I just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy, who also wrote No Country For Old Men and All The Pretty Horses, plus others I am not familiar with.

It's about a father and son on a journey in post apocalyptic America. An incredibly good story, intelligently written and very scary. Not BOO scary, but mentally scary, cerebral... No book has ever moved me like this one.

So if you are looking for a good read, something a little different, I recommend that you check this one out. I could have read it in one sitting but I had other required reading for work that got in the way.

It's being made into a movie as I type, so I'm glad I got to read the book before it gets Hollywooded. Also there is a Wikipedia page on it if you want to look into it, but be careful if you want to read the story because I think it's a bit of a spoiler.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

VIP Member
    Added to my list of future reads
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just placed an order from Barnes and Noble.It go in line behind the 2 books on Physics by Michio Kaku, and 2 novels by Joel Rosenberg. The physics books are actually quite interesting. Kaku has a great way of explaining things for those of us that aren't physicists. I'm well into "Parallel Worlds", and will start "Hyperspace" next week. I'll soon order his new book, "Physics of the Impossible", and add that to the line up.

I'm about 3/4 through The Road. Not bad.

If you like the idea of traveling through a decaying world with a few gunslinger companions, read Steven King's Dark Tower series.

that same story type with lots of real thrills you might read stephen kings "THE STAND". onr of my favs.

sweet ! thanx !
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by What the? View Post
    I'm about 3/4 through The Road. Not bad.

If you like the idea of traveling through a decaying world with a few gunslinger companions, read Steven King's Dark Tower series.

I will check that series out, as I'm sure it's entertaining. But I just want to reiterate for the others that The Road is not supposed to be a shoot em up survival story- it's a story about a man and his son. I have an 18 month old daughter so it really hit home for me.

I have had a strange appetite for 'end of the world' type books ever since I read Lucifer's Hammer, so thanks for the recommendation.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    ... But I just want to reiterate for the others that The Road is not supposed to be a shoot em up survival story- it's a story about a man and his son. I have an 18 month old daughter so it really hit home for me.
    That's true.

Another book I pulled off of my shelf is War Day by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka. I read it back when it came out in 1984, and don't even remember any part of it now except that it is a post WWIII book and I liked it. I'll start on it today, we'll see if I still feel the same almost 25 years later.

But definitely read at least the first of the Dark Tower. You'll be hooked. The lead may be a gunslinger, but it is very much a survival story, in a world that is ending. There are shoot-em-up scenes, but they are rare, and not the focus.

VIP Member
    The Road is one of my favorite books of the last 10 years. It is a great "intro" to McCarthy, as his writing style can be a bit difficult to penetrate, at first. The Road is the most accessible of his books that I've read.

A word of warning to potential readers - the book is not really about the end of the world, or "survival" as such - though it does describe quite a number of situations of "survivalism." It is about a father-son relationship, familial love in the face of horrific evil and hardship, sacrifice, and "survival of the soul" as much as anything else. And, as in all McCarthy, don't expect a Hollywood ending.

McCarthy is not Stephen King - there are no supernatural elements, no greater powers of good and evil, no spirits, haunts, ghosts, or monsters...unless, of course, you consider that his human characters are often all of these things and more...

If you can make it through The Road without flinching (too much), I highly recomend Blood Meridian. An "Old West" tale of staggering beauty and violence, and an amazing read. Ridley Scott is making this into a movie as we speak - it is my fervent hope that he doesn't turn it into Gladiator in the old West... (BTW, my sig line is from Blood Meridian.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Downloading it now

Thanks Opfor, I think those were the words I was looking for :)

I am excited to check out the other books by McCarthy, now I know where to start.

Also, I saw the movie 'All The Pretty Horses' and hated it, but now I understand why the movie was so strange. It has to be an amazingly difficult task to put McCarthy's words on the screen.
    Dave

-Herman Melville

Sponsored Links