Anyone tried a 'tankless' water heater?

This is a discussion on Anyone tried a 'tankless' water heater? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondering what you thought of them. Seems like a better way to heat water than the conventional tank type....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried a 'tankless' water heater?

Senior Moderator

Just wondering what you thought of them. Seems like a better way to heat water than the conventional tank type.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

They work well but some of the systems are noisy.
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

I know a few people that have them and they love them. They never run out of hot water, and it uses less energy.

They work well but some of the systems are noisy.
    The ones I know have theirs mounted outside.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Some types do not have a variable burner, which means i's either on or off. At low flow rates the water can get VERY hot, then the unit shuts off on over-temperature. The water then gets cold for a moment until the unit cycles back on. Only at real low flow rates, but enough to be a nuisance to a friend of mine I installed one for.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    I'm intrigued by them, but havent tried one yet. I might go that route when I build my cabin.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    The propane and natural gas work better then the electric tankless. We have installed several and have had no complaints. They are very effecient. If you have water with a high lime content you will have to run a cleaning solution thru them once a year or so.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Interesting thread on the topic over a CPF (you have to read a bit before it really gets into the tankless talk).

-john

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

They're great! If I ever build (or my next house), I will be installing one in it.
    Used them for over 10 years when I was in Spain and Sicily.
    In Europe they run off of propane. Supposedly you can run them off of natural gas here also. Never heard of an electric one. Seems that would defeat the purpose and not be as efficient.
    It's like a radiator in which the water runs through the radiator pipes when the hot tap is turned on. Normally they are mounted outside of the main house. One of mine was mounted in the laundry room. They have a 'pilot light flame' and good ones have a temperature regulator. Having one with a good temp regulator is very important in my opinion. Actually, it's not exactly a 'temp regulator' but it regulates the furnace flame intensity that the radiator pipes are running through.
    A lot of people leave the pilot on so that whenever they turn the hot tap on there is unlimited hot water. That is, as long as there is fuel available. If this is the case, there must be a small 'vent' in the wall so that if the pilot goes out, gas will not accumilate (it is deadly). Some people, like my mother-n-law, only light the pilot light 'flame' when they want to use hot water in order to conserve fuel.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I know i am getting one when we move into our new house on May 31st......

I will remember to post a "range test report" for everyone and let you all know what brand we chose, installation costs, etc.

Until then,
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Funny this should come up... I have a service tech coming tomorrow to possibly replace my old heater with a new tankless one. Everything I've read sounds greatl, and these posts helped as well. Thanks!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I have an electric one, try to get the one with a higher flow rate or you'll have the hot then cold water sympton mentioned above. I rather have the gas one, but it is not an option where I am renting right now.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I had one, you need to have good water pressure to get the most out of them.

The CPF thread was interesting, I wonder if it was dated at all - it is not as if this is very new tech, so I doubt much as changed. I was thinking about these the other day - was thinking about using one for an RV remodel.

I can not say that the CP thread was positive. I expect that the RV will be garage kept some of the time, but forgot about the gas issues involved with that. On the other hand, needing a 200 amp service for my garage just too funny. I guess an externally mounted gas unit might work - if the RV had an external hot water connection (it's a remodel, so anything is possible I guess).

I've got a propane model in my mountain cabin. Works great and is much more efficient, especially for occasional or weekend use. Plus, no worry about freezing.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I've got a propane model in my mountain cabin. Works great and is much more efficient, especially for occasional or weekend use. Plus, no worry about freezing.
    Please elaborate? If they don't come on except with flow, freezing should be a greater worry then with a regular tank-type, I think.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links