If you are looking for a high paying job...

This is a discussion on If you are looking for a high paying job... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I saw this a year ago, but I suspect it is still open....

Thread: If you are looking for a high paying job...

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

If you are looking for a high paying job...

I saw this a year ago, but I suspect it is still open.

Attached Images
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Actually, it opens and closes, and opens again...quite frequently...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's not very good compensation for a CTO. Especially a CTO over there.

Of course, you can probably get that CTO position without a harvard mba.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Check out some of the intelligence-field jobs available to contractors. Some of it is just great with how much you make. They usually pay for expenses too so while you're overseas, this cash just builds in your account.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Do we get free M16's and all the ammo we can fire?

Is the bonus a free body bag at the end of the term?

a couple of shipmates came back from being overthere and were talking about contractors like that. They even said that it is tax free to boot.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

DC Founder
    What website did that come off of. Do you have a link?
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Oh yeah, the money is great if you make it back to spend it!!!!

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Can I carry?
    Can I OPEN carry?
    Do I get grenades?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

VIP Member
    The first $80,000 (give or take) is tax free, with stipulations (including limits on the amount of time you can be physically present in the US during the tax year, and so on), and it does NOT apply to direct hire US govt. employees - we pay all the tax, all the time. Joe, of course, gets the whole kit and kaboodle tax free when he's in theater!

Kabul isn't that bad. For 200k, plus bonus, plus stipends and travel, plus tax breaks, plus housing and food and incidentals paid for (usually), plus plus plus.... I'd recomend that you guys peruse the job listings over there - they need a broad range of skills and abilities - from cops to computer techs to construction guys to you name it. I may go back for another year after my next year in Baghdad - the danger levels are relatively low, the money is good, the work is rewarding, and - to quote Bunny from Platoon - "the only worry you got, is diein', and if that happens, I ain't gonna know about it, so what the ****?"
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I could do Afghanistan for a year I reckon. Have to be in as a contractor--too old for the military now.

VIP Member
    I enjoyed my 15 months or so there - though only a portion of that time was in Kabul. It ain't downtown Pleasantville, but it's not that bad. Of course, my perspective may be a bit skewed...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    Do we get free M16's and all the ammo we can fire?

Is the bonus a free body bag at the end of the term?
    No, But I hear you get a shield of protection and plus 1,000,000,000,000,000 hit/health points if you treat your subordinate wonks well.

100K is not a tough nut to crack here in the US (especially eastern seaboard) if one has good technical and personal skills and is willing to consult. No need to got overseas for that.

VIP Member
    100k is the miminum, and includes none of the extras. All told, the packages are normally worth much more than the base salaries... And going overseas is it's own benefit - there is a whole wide world out there, and it's even better seeing it AND getting paid!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    100k is the minimum, and includes none of the extras. All told, the packages are normally worth much more than the base salaries... And going overseas is it's own benefit - there is a whole wide world out there, and it's even better seeing it AND getting paid!
    If I didn't have a baby at home, I would consider it. Just to work like crazy for 2 - 3 years and come out and pay off the house and some hunting land. But the baby and my comfortable existence here just makes that a non-starter for me.

In one of my more patriotic moments I contacted the Navy about their commission program for computer wonks. They would have waived the age requirement and started the process to get me in. I was excited. Then my wife showed me the pregnancy test results and that changed that.

I have done some computer consulting for defense contractors in VA in the DC suburbs. That can be pretty lucrative in and of itself.

But for the techies that are not afraid of travel, that could be a nice way to cash in and create some memories (hopefully all good).

Links