Another 1911 pic (idiot mark)

This is a discussion on Another 1911 pic (idiot mark) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I apologize, my spelling in English is bad enough, when I try to spell Japanese words it is atrocious. A1C Lickey...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 1911 pic (idiot mark)

I apologize, my spelling in English is bad enough, when I try to spell Japanese words it is atrocious.

A1C Lickey

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

No Real Problem

A couple of my Colts are pretty beat up.
    I'm refinishing one right now. I've stopped & started working on it about 10 times already.

I would not let any surface scratches prevent me from buying any good (well fit) used Colt.
    That would include an idiot mark on the frame.
    Stainless steel refinishes really easily & you can just Cold Blue over any serious scratches on a Blued gun.
    The most important thing in buying any used Colt (that you can get a good deal on) is to make sure the frame is "unscrewed around with" especially in the feed ramp area.
    Any other cosmetic type problems are easily taken care of.

It's always important to keep in mind that your defensive firearm is a TOOL first and foremost.
    Using any tool will put honest wear marks on that tool.
    So....while I am here joking around about "idiot marks"...I would select a scratched up & dinged & dented Colt .45 auto that functioned 100% of the time over nearly any other firearm.

I remember (on a couple of other forums) some forum members getting upset ALMOST to the point of tears...when they got a scratch or some WEAR MARKS on their carry firearm. That is just plain silly thinking.

My personal opinion is that if you own a defensive carry firearm & it has no "wear marks" or surface scratches after a couple of months then you are not practicing long enough or hard enough ~ or carrying it enough. No carry firearm stays in "Safe Queen" condition for very long.
    And, YES if you practice quickly putting your Colt together in total darkness then that fiream IS going to get surface scratched since you need to put some of it together by "feel" & that means "metal against metal" contact.

I can put a Series 70 or earlier Colt together in the dark but, not a Series 80 which is one reason why I HATE those tiny little USELESS tiny little Firing Pin Stop parts that Colt added to the Series 80 (and later) Colt 1911 style pistols.
    What the Hell were they thinking when they added those crappo miniscule parts?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    A couple of my Colts are pretty beat up.
    I'm refinishing one right now. I've stopped & started working on it about 10 times already.
    Well then, you just send me that bad boy and I'll get her finished up
    As far as the mark, mine have them too, but not way down into the trigger area.

I am unschooled in the ways.....can someone explain to me the big deal about those marks?
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball
    I am unschooled in the ways.....can someone explain to me the big deal about those marks?
    They are scratches, and are not very appiealing to the eye. Finish wear or holster wear is good cause that means you use the gun this type of scratch is bad because it meand someone is careless with their reassembly. That and it just looks bad. There are many ways to reassemble without scratching it, usualy a matchbook, or credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    They are scratches, and are not very appiealing to the eye. Finish wear or holster wear is good cause that means you use the gun this type of scratch is bad because it meand someone is careless with their reassembly. That and it just looks bad. There are many ways to reassemble without scratching it, usualy a matchbook, or credit card.
    I've never owned a 1911 so I didn't know the detail of assembly and such. Thanks.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links