Movie buffs, what gun goofs have you found?

This is a discussion on Movie buffs, what gun goofs have you found? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, it was a slow night for me, so this is what I've got: I was watching "Super Troopers" again and just noticed that when ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie buffs, what gun goofs have you found?

VIP Member

Movie buffs, what gun goofs have you found?

OK, it was a slow night for me, so this is what I've got:

I was watching "Super Troopers" again and just noticed that when the chief pulls his gun inside the motorhome with the dead gal, he actually draws a Crossman single cock air pistol. You can see the bumps at what should be the back of the slide used for grip.

It got me to thinking... what other screw ups are out there? Other than the common 27 round revolver and the UZI with the endless magazine, what else have you noticed, subtle or blatant?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

2. Remove Ads

EW3
    It's not a movie, but on the BBC series Torchwood, the main character, Capt. Jack Harkness, carries a Webley revolver. He comes from the 50th century, but works in the 21st, which I though is a cool touch.

Anyway, every time he uses said Webley, you can hear the sound of brass ejecting and bouncing after each shot. Soemone really needs to tell them over at the BBC that revolvers don't make that sound!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Lets see, The Wild Bunch, love the movie, but its set in 1913 and they have a 1917 Browning machine gun. Weapons continuity in westerns happens sometimes, like Peacemakers in movies set before 1873

Another favorite is the 1911 being carried with a round in the chamber and hammer down, see that one a lot.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'm always impressed with the Glocks that have those mags that hold 85 shots...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Raider's of the Lost Ark, Indy gets into a fight at Miriam's bar. His S&W .45 revolver morphs into a Browning HP in the middle of the gunfight, only to return to its original form before going back into the holster.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Costner's 17-round "six gun" revolver, in Open Range. Or, was that 18?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The frequent finger on the Glock trigger can be seen on most of the newer Law & Order episodes.

Senior Moderator
    The 3 shot shotgun in "Tombstone" that Doc Holdiay shoots. He shoots one guy,shoots it up in the air to scare a horse, and when the horse bolts, he shoots the guy that was standing behind it. Nice touch...except its a double barrell shotgun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Invasion USA. The 7-shot LAW, the infinite-ammo Mini-Uzis, and - of course - the two-shot M203 at the end...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    I'll have to see if I can find it, I think there used to be a web site dedicated to this subject.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I never really paid attention the the 3 shots on tombstone, guess i will have to watch it again
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    It's not a movie, but on the BBC series Torchwood, the main character, Capt. Jack Harkness, carries a Webley revolver. He comes from the 50th century, but works in the 21st, which I though is a cool touch.

Anyway, every time he uses said Webley, you can hear the sound of brass ejecting and bouncing after each shot. Soemone really needs to tell them over at the BBC that revolvers don't make that sound!
    It's been over 10 years since they've been allowed over there...fewer and fewer people would know.

P.S. How about that two-handed grip!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

JD
    Administrator
    In Lethal Weapon 1, Mel Gibson's character talks about how he has the special hollow tip bullet to blow his brains out, but in the two scenes you see it, it's a FMJ.

It's not a goof as much as it is wonderment, that the shooters in all these movies are able to have a normal conversation just moments after firing off hundreds of rounds, with no apparent hearing protection.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    The "cocking" sound when someone draws a Glock.

The NEVER ENDING magazine.

JD and I rented the miniseries "Kill Point" last week and watched it. If we were to go through and make a list of all the errors (not just the gun ones) we'd have a book's worth of material.

But one of the gun errors was that the SWAT sniper covering the bank (with the bad guys and hostages in it) from an elevated position on top of a building across the street has been there for two days. He gets the word that they are going to breach and what does he do? HE FINALLY (after two days of covering this bank) SLOWLY, RITUALISTICALLY PUTS A BULLET IN THE CHAMBER.

My first thought was that someone needed to fire their sniper for sitting up there for two days with an unloaded gun.

And why is it that in almost every movie involving guns that I see, everyone decides to rack their slides as they are running into the fight? Doesn't ANYONE come prepared?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links