Statute of limitations?

This is a discussion on Statute of limitations? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got a call from someone claiming to at a law-firm contracted by city in Texas to collect an unpaid ticket I got in ...

Thread: Statute of limitations?

Statute of limitations?

I just got a call from someone claiming to at a law-firm contracted by city in Texas to collect an unpaid ticket I got in 1994 for driving without insurance. They also claim another citation for failure to appear for the above mentioned ticket, with a $65 fine and a warrant issued 2 months later. Color me confused (and with fuzzy memory on it, as I would've been 19 at the time, now 32ish).

I do recall getting a ticket for no insurance, and then leaving town without paying for it. But just 1 or 2 years later it came back to bite me when I tried to buy a gun for a security job, and couldn't because of the warrant. I paid everything all up, got my gun and life went on for another 10-12 years. Maybe 6 or 7 years ago had a cop-buddy run me through the computer in his car to make sure I was clean, and have since bought several guns (pistols require a LIEN check and a Permit to purchase here), and got my CCW (and the background checks involved there).

They're saying that if that's the case then I need to mail copies of the reciepts or whatever. About the only thing that old of mine that I can find is my kids. I guess the first step is to call the courthouse and make sure that this outfit is legit. Even if so, I sure don't want to pony up $400 in fines that I'm sure I've paid. Isn't there a statute of limitations on this kind of thing anyway?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Isn't there a statute of limitations on this kind of thing anyway?
    Not if you already were found guilty... and if you owe/paid fines, you were found guilty.

Cant you look at bank records? I hope you paid with a check!
    "Just blame Sixto"

If I recall, at the time we were living off of cash and paid everything with money orders. Looks like Abilene will be getting their economy stimulated. AGAIN. Will keep a copy of this check and bank statement until I die.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Administrator
    I'd call the courthouse and have them check again. Sometimes you can even o it yourself via the web. A lot can go wrong causing an error in their favor... and it might have gone to collection after you paid the court.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into next week. Hopefully the call wasn't really a ploy to make sure i was home, so they can let DAWG the Bounty Hunter know where I am at the moment...

I also heard of a scam going around Texas where you would get a call like this and they would ask personal questions and end up opening a line of credit on your name. Be careful what you tell them over the phone unless you call the court house yourself.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

You don't need or want an attorney for this - just call the County or City Court and find out the facts. They'll help you fix it.

This sounds similar to a scam a family member was caught up in. Court records are open documents. My uncle who had a colorful youth and young adult life (including jail time) was called last year saying he needed to pay some fines he never paid. He had paid them, and he did have all his records (through his lawyers office). He went into the court house to clear it up, and the court had everything in order, and stated they never called him, or did anything to try to collect again. Come to find out, someone had gone through court records and was trying to scam people into paying their fines again. The kicker was the mailing address that they gave was similar but not quiet the same as the official mailing address for fines.

Apparently they were already investigating this guy, and was arrested shortly afterward.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Call he courthouse, I had the same problem when I went to renew my AZ DL. I got a ticket in Vermont in 1981 I had paid the fine for, but I had to pay a "reinstatement" fee of $30.00 to release my DL in AZ for renewal. I was able to give them a credit card and they sent he release right over(15 min). I asked the lady at DMV about it, she said that it was becoming common practice to suspend a DL in a certain state because of a failure to pay a "reinstatement fee"
    My driving privledges were not suspended in AZ, but had I been caught driving in VT, I would have been jailed for driving under a suspended DL
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Call he courthouse, I had the same problem when I went to renew my AZ DL. I got a ticket in Vermont in 1981 I had paid the fine for, but I had to pay a "reinstatement" fee of $30.00 to release my DL in AZ for renewal. I was able to give them a credit card and they sent he release right over(15 min). I asked the lady at DMV about it, she said that it was becoming common practice to suspend a DL in a certain state because of a failure to pay a "reinstatement fee"
    My driving privledges were not suspended in AZ, but had I been caught driving in VT, I would have been jailed for driving under a suspended DL
    Same thing happened to me years ago... talk about getting ticked off!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links