HEY OLD GUYS...Tool questions

This is a discussion on HEY OLD GUYS...Tool questions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To summarize, My grandfather who passed in '03 was a mechanic on a carrier in WWII (at Pearl Harbor) and continued being a mechanic as ...

Thread: HEY OLD GUYS...Tool questions

To summarize, My grandfather who passed in '03 was a mechanic on a carrier in WWII (at Pearl Harbor) and continued being a mechanic as his civilian career and during retirement. In '98 he remarried after Grandma passed and the wicked step grandmother made him get rid of a majority of his tools. He kept the basics of what he had to work on basic tuneups and repairs for his and friends vehicles.

I received a call a couple of weeks ago that the wicked grandmother finally died and if I wanted the remainder of his tools, since I am the only mechanic left in the clan.

Going through the tool box and several boxes, I came across some vintage Snap On, MAC, Cornwell, and others that have to be nearing 70 years old.

Some of these tools I had never seen before and am wondering why they don't make them anymore.

Anyhow, I need help on where to find info or value on some of these items (web sites, or persons that specialize in vintage tools). Some of them I will not part with, others I really have no need for.

I will post pictures of them next week.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Couldn't find many tool appraisers but you can look at the link below. Also, you might try finding the items on auction sites like Ebay and see what they're going for there. Good luck.

Union Hill Antique Tools - Antique Tool Appraisals
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Thanks ronwill.

I spent 4 hours searching around for a ratcheting line wrench set originally made by Tubing Appliance CO in 1951, then was picked up by Proto in 1956, after that, nada. I emailed Proto (now owned by Stanley) and have not received a response.

And that is just one of about 50 items that I need to track down. We won't talk about the ones stamped with "USN".
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

put up some pics,

alot of special purpose tools with some nostalgia attached....

like a port main steam turbine manual jacking rod even fora A4W......

The linked website wants $25 per tool for the appraisal. A little steep but if he does a good job, then it may be worth it. I may try a couple of the off brand ones.

I looked around a little more on another item - Superior Instruments Co, NY, Model 70 volt/ohm meter, 1954. Could not find any values, but did find a couple of user manuals for $57.

I will post pics when I get time. Right now Ma Nature is messing with my work schedule. Work shipped me out to Pueblo CO for the last three weeks. All of them supposed to be 5 day stints, turned into 6 due to weather.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Put some pics up here and we may be able to chime in.
    "USN" doesn't mean trouble for you, there are legitimate ways to get them into civvy hands. I have a 10k# machine here still with the USN tags.

Just my biased opinion, but those tools that you have no use for should NOT be sold. They should be offered to other family members as keepsakes for their remembrance, then donated/sold as seen fit.

Gramps was worth more than a few pocket dollars. Just my two cents worth.

Old guys?

OLD GUYS???!!!!! Listen up you young son of a......

uh........I forget, what was it we were talking about......?

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    like a port main steam turbine manual jacking rod even for a A4W......
    We've been looking for that...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Just my biased opinion, but those tools that you have no use for should NOT be sold. They should be offered to other family members as keepsakes for their remembrance, then donated/sold as seen fit.

Gramps was worth more than a few pocket dollars. Just my two cents worth.
    I made that clear to the family when I went to get them. I said that their clan has first rights and are they sure no one else wants them. I was told that everyone else has picked up what they wanted, you are the last mechanic in the family line, the tools are yours.

Now, there are most definitely some tools that I am going to hang on to, and others that I will never use, like the 5# all metal, chromed timing lights (2), all metal, chromed, inductive dwell/tach for setting points, and some of the misc wrenches (Bonney, Bronco, Indestro, ect.)

All I am trying to do is get an idea of the history/age and potential value of these items.

Old Guys....I needed the attention of you rather than the younger folk who think Daisy Duke is a blond, and have no idea what a vinyl record is. You are more likely to have seen or had some of these tools.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Sponsored Links