Mountain Bikes??

This is a discussion on Mountain Bikes?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've gotten sick of paying what is nearly $4 for gas and I think I'm going to pick up a bike for getting to class. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Bikes??

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Mountain Bikes??

I've gotten sick of paying what is nearly $4 for gas and I think I'm going to pick up a bike for getting to class. I know I'll need a mountain bike because some of the terrain between here and there are trails which can get nasty when the monsoons (yes, we have monsoon season here) hit.

I was curious if anyone here had any suggestions for a bike for a newer rider. Budget on the outside would be around $700 or so for the whole thing, with cheaper obviously being better.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting a huge response on a gun forum but I figured WTH, right? haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Why not get a small motorcycle or scooter? It beats a pedal pusher...and gas would be a minimum...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Been a while since I could really call myself a biker, but your question is kinda like asking: What's the best gun for CCW? You've various geometries for various missions: Some are more stable going down hills, but suck going up. Some are great going up, but are suicide going down. The tires that do best in muck require more energy and thus make you slower on decent roads/trails. [enter stuff I've forgotten here]

I'm glad you realize that it'll cost a few bucks. Bikes don't come from walmart, they come from bike shops. At walmart (etc), they sell ride-on toys that resemble bikes to the layperson. Ask them to help you fit it properly. FWIW, I liked my Gary Fisher Tassajara. Used to ride it 16 miles to work regularly. Fine on road, but liked to be off-road. A little better at downhill than uphill, I got the previous years' model for just under $500. Best of luck.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Why not get a small motorcycle or scooter? It beats a pedal pusher...and gas would be a minimum...OMO
    I respectfully disagree.

Get a bike from a bike shop, NOT a department store. There is a world of difference in the quality. Specialized, Trek, and Cannondale all have entry-level bikes that will suit your needs. (If you get crazy about it, you can spend the big bucks later.) I ride 2000-3000 miles a year, most on a mountain bike. I've done it forever. It's good for you. It's great transportation and you will live longer if you do it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yup, you can pick up a 50cc used at that price. Check out the "Ruckus", but I think a quality bike is just as good if not better.

For a bike, I'm partial to Trek... They have good componets at reasonable prices... a 800 or 900 series are good values for your purpose.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I was into mountain biking, Specialized, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, and GT offered intro bikes in the $400-500 range.

In a broad sense you can identify a cheap MB easily because they lack front and rear wheel quick release, especially the rear wheel.

Avoid walmart, go to a bike shop, as said above.

Oh, one more bit of advice: Unless you are doing some HARDCORE offroading most of the time, you DO NOT need rear suspension. When pedaling on a flat, it wastes a tremendous amount of energy that could've been pushing you forward. This is like getting a 4x4 to drive around town. Just get front suspension.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I like Cannondale, they have held up well for me.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    Since your out west I'd look at the brand " KHS " they are a bit cheaper in price but very dirtworthy. If you go to a couple of bike shops and talk to the greasy guys not the sales staff you will get the good info. Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, and Jamis are all less expensive and make quality products. Just like with firearms you can pay more for a name...think Kimber for example. Gary Fisher bikes are owned and made by Trek, but more expensive than a similar model with the Trek logo on it.

The key to remeber is that most bike companies make frames. The drivetrain is allmost always made by shimano or s-ram. So when you compare pay more attention to the parts on the frame, not the frame itself. And again ask the mechanic what parts are better than others, and what will work best (and not be too expensive) for you.

The best component group in your price range will be Shimano Deore
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Been a while since I could really call myself a biker, but your question is kinda like asking: What's the best gun for CCW?
    Wow. You completely nailed that and it didn't even occur to me. LOL Derrr.

To answer most of you, no, I'm not looking at Walmart. My roommate bought a walmart bike and rode it home. The ride included a very long, steep hill. He was lucky to escape with his life. I'm looking to get a proper one from a decent shop.

Another friend recommended I get fitted for one as well, but thought I would need and like a large frame in the 19-21" size. I'm a big guy at 6'3, 260. He suggested I take a look at Globes. Like you said Cupcake, he said to walk away from anything with a rear suspension because I won't need it.

The terrain I'm looking at is about 1/4 street and the rest a variety of clean dirt paths. Some turns are off-camber and the trail is uphill both ways. Really. Over the distance it dips significantly in the middle. But, as I said, monsoon season is where I will need the ability to move on the trail.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Funny you should mention bikes. I just picked up a Trek Navigator 2.0 a couple weekends ago. It's a "comfort" bike. Front suspension, seat post suspension, wide comfortable saddle, and an upright riding style. Yes, it is VERY comfortable. I have bad elbows and shoulders. The upright riding position keeps the weight off of them. Great bike. But, it's not a mountain bike, that's for sure. It has a real tendency to pop a wheelie when going up steep inclines. Sort of makes the ride exciting though.

Good luck with finding a bike. My budget was $400. I found this bike for $300. Great deal. But having a budget of $700 is going to make your choice almost impossible. It's like having a $2000 budget for buying a 1911. You'll be able to afford most of what's out there. Good luck trying to decide.

Hey neighbor, if you're interested, I've got a Trek Navigator 200, large size (21" frame) that has been sitting in my shed since I bought it, very few miles on it. According to the paperwork, it's a 2005 model, and I've got a bunch of extras (rack, panniers, etc). Let me know if you're coming down the hill and would like to look at it. I'll make you a good deal. Got all the manuals and paperwork from the Bike Barn in Phx. I'm in the central city. This link shows the newest model, mine is the 200 and looks quite a bit stronger.
    Tracy

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | Navigator 2.0
    Last edited by AZ Husker; April 14th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Lead Moderator
    The best advice would be go to a reputable bike shop and tell them what you want to do. That way they can point you in the right direction, and you'll get a bike that is properly fitted to you. Most good bike shops used to throw in a free 30 day adjustment, since things tend to stretch.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Husker: You may have yourself a deal. PM inbound.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

One last bit that no one has addressed is the monsoon season thing.

When it's raining you WILL NOT be riding. Nor will you be riding while it's still slimey mud. If you try this you will be buying new bearings for your bike every season from the water/rust/destruction issue. Not to mention other things like cables and equipment group in a year or so.

When it's slimey out, you can't ride because you can't get traction or stability. You'd get there sooner and safer if you walked (because you can walk faster than you can push a bike through the mud) and you'd be clean at the end of the journey.

I do not ride in the rain or after it quits raining (if it quits in the am). My Trek has lasted with original bearings for 17 years (although I'm going to replace the wheels soon and did replace the bottom bracket/cranks last year). I ride on average 3 days per week, 20-30 miles per trip with the occasional long ride (40+ miles).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links