Please tell me about your bank

This is a discussion on Please tell me about your bank within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Am leaving for Utah in two weeks and started browsing Bank of America, Wells Fargo and WaMu but got pretty confused.. And having the patient ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me about your bank

AH [OP]

Am leaving for Utah in two weeks and started browsing Bank of America, Wells Fargo and WaMu but got pretty confused..
    And having the patient of an ant..

I would like to have the users in here tell me what you like about your bank! Tell me what YOU think is the advantages and the disadvantages about your bank..

Do you like or hate the customer service?
    Do you like the way your are welcomed?
    Did you get the help you wanted when you arrived with your somewhat special request?

And anything else you would like to highlight about your bank!

Thanks guys!

Don't know if it's national, but I use and love M&T Bank, here in NY. I'm am always greeted by name, in several different branches. Customer service is great, and they are very friendly and truly interested in the customer.

Hope this helps.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I haven't been inside a bank in years......

They all pretty much suck these days and with the availability of on-line banking, bill pay, and direct deposit, there's just no need.

I bank at B of A. Not because they're any better than any of the others, but because they have the largest network of ATM's in the free world. No matter where I am, if I need some cash, I know I can find one of their ATM's within a mile right around the corner.

I think you will find most any bank you choose much like most any bank in the UK. Fees for different services may vary a bit from bank to bank but I doubt you will be disappointed in customer service with any of the banks here. I do most of my banking with a Credit Union and most of my transactions are done online.

For me the most important issues are online banking, and online bill-pay.

If they offer both at no charge and it's a decent interface, I'm happy.

Currently I use Compass Bank, and am satisfied.

I use National City. My family has banked there since I was born. I walk in, they know me by name, I don't have to provide ID, and if I need anything, they're extremely helpful. I never use ATM's, and their online stuff is OK.

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I prefer to use a credit union. But I'm just a poor schmuck who can't afford a bank.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    I tend to stay with small locally owned banks. I've had to change several times over the years, as the bank I was using got bought up by larger ones.

The one I'm with now, came about from a local grocery store chain that got big enough to open their own bank. They didn't like dealing with big banks either! They have their branches inside their grocery stores. (for those in near Richmond, it's First Market Bank, owned by Ukrop's.)

I don't have to go to the branches very often since they have internet banking.

In my job life, I have to do work for some of the bigger 'institutions' like BofA, Capital One, Suntrust & Wack-a-Mole (Wachovia). One thing I have learned from working at these places....I DON'T WANT THEM HANDLING MY PERSONAL MONEY!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Former WaMu employee here.

Stay away.

That's all I've got to say about that.

-JT

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Having dealt with some major banks for many years, lived thru the take-overs/mergers/FDIC take-overs/etc. . . .

When I was with one of he major banks, one day the manager told em that he no longer had the power to make ANY decisions, Corporate had mandated that all decisions must go thru them. There was no longer any reason to stay there!

My preference is to deal with a small credit union, locally based, where I know everyone from the President down on a first-name basis. Any time I've had an issue (very rare), I can talk to the person who will make it right, directly.

Quote Originally Posted by AH View Post
    Do you like or hate the customer service?
    Do you like the way your are welcomed?
    Did you get the help you wanted when you arrived with your somewhat special request?

And anything else you would like to highlight about your bank!

Thanks guys!
    I have a business account with WaMu and my personal account is with a small local bank that only has five or six branches.

WaMu is professional and gets the job done but I won't rant or rave about how friendly the tellers are or how great the customer service is. They're friendly and smile at you when you come in, sure, but they don't go out of their way for you.

The one time they made a paperwork error it was reasonably easy to correct and the person that helped me was apologetic about it.

WaMu does cover my banking needs, and since they offer free business checking, I won't complain at all

Now my personal bank, that's another story. All of the tellers know me by name and are genuinely glad to see me and chat about how our week went. They're great folks and haven't asked me for ID for years.
    One time I overdrew by $30 (and some change) on my personal account, and one of the tellers personally deposited $30 into my account and called me immediately to tell me. I went by and gave her $40 the next day.
    Also, by an unfortunate chain of events, I once dropped an envelope containing about $400 into a puddle. The envelope was a red canvas bank bag... and sure enough, being in that puddle for 5 seconds stained several large bills bright red. I just about *censored* myself, a few of them really looked like they had bank dye on them.
    I took them, with the red bag, into my personal bank... They got a good laugh out of that and sent me on my way with fresh bills and a new bank bag, free.

My input: Find a bank that's not a national chain and do some business there for a few weeks.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Bank? I've got a safe, and I pay cash for most everything, a bird in hand and all that.......

I do bank with B of A, and have liked them, They seem to be fair in thier fees, professional in thier workings.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I prefer a credit union..

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I haven't been inside a bank in years......

They all pretty much suck these days and with the availability of on-line banking, bill pay, and direct deposit, there's just no need.

I bank at B of A. Not because they're any better than any of the others, but because they have the largest network of ATM's in the free world. No matter where I am, if I need some cash, I know I can find one of their ATM's within a mile right around the corner.
    I still do business with a credit union in Florida with ZERO ATM's out of the central Florida area. I'll eat the surcharge to avoid a national bank! All of the banks you listed (and a few more) are crooks! Their business models are based upon customer fees (much like Blockbuster was for a number of years). Your deposits don't hit until the bank sorts out what they can pay first (generating NSF/over limit fees). Your checks are NOT paid in the order written or presented. Instead, they too are sorted and paid at the bank's discretion with the hopes it triggers a fee. My team studied banking models extensively during my Master's program (which is reason #42 why I still do biz w/ the credit union). Rant off.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links