Off Topic but its happened overseas

This is a discussion on Off Topic but its happened overseas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As many of you agree I do not like looking down the end of a muzzle. Well today I was walking down the street at ...

Thread: Off Topic but its happened overseas

Off Topic but its happened overseas

As many of you agree I do not like looking down the end of a muzzle. Well today I was walking down the street at on of Bagram Air Field and there were a good amount of Officers with shoulder holsters for their M9s on. I was walking behind one and immediately moved to the right and bumped my buddy off the side walk. He asked why I did that and I mentioned that I was not comfortable staring down the barrel of a pistol. Well he is somewhat sheepish He began to laugh and what not making fun of me being paranoid. Well i was not, I DONT LIKE STARING DOWN THE BUSINESS END OF ANY TYPE OF WEAPON . I guess what I am getting at is for you prior service, What would you do or say to a CPT or LTC with one of these holsters? I just walked on the other side of the street would you have reacted diffrently?
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

2. Remove Ads

I admit that it feels uncomfortable, even if one of my guns is on the table and I have to walk past it. That said, if the gun is holstered, it ain't going off.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Cupcake, I too do not like a weapon pointed at me but if it is properly holstered it will not fire.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have to agree with Cupcake, I too do not like a weapon pointed at me but if it is properly holstered it will not fire.
    Ditto.

Administrator
    Properly holstered and riding in a good quality shoulder rig.
    It does not bother me at all.
    I guess I'm just used to it because I once worked in close proximity to a lot of folks that shoulder carried in horizontal rigs.
    I can honestly see how it would initially unnerve folks though but, it's really not a real problem other than a psychological one.
    I am not saying that in any sort of demeaning way.
    It's something that you sort of pay no attention to if you're around it a lot.

Let's just say that you are carrying at the waist & you remove your holstered firearm from your belt...and set your properly holstered firearm down on the coffee table.

There it is....just resting there on the coffee table...all "comfy-cozy" in its holster...would you be afraid to walk in front of it for fear that your firearm was going to go off all by itself and blow a hole through your legs?
    Of course not.
    It's really no different.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    I just walked on the other side of the street would you have reacted diffrently?
    Yes. I would have simply ignored it.

I don't know how the M9 is carried these days, in my day, it was the M1911, and it was carried in condition 3. At any rate, a properly holstered sidearm poses absolutely no danger to anyone walking behind the wearer.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    I see this ALL THE TIME with Fobbits in A-stan and Iraq. It doesn't bother me too much, except that most of these holsters are locally made and not exactly high quality rigs. The thing that really worries me is that 99.9% of the people who carry like this have never trained with their rigs AT ALL, and would have no idea how to use them if they ever had to. This, coupled with all the "clearing barrel" areas that require constant drawing and reholstering (complete with all the muzzle sweeping that this entails when drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig), doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magilla82ABN View Post
    As many of you agree I do not like looking down the end of a muzzle. Well today I was walking down the street at on of Bagram Air Field and there were a good amount of Officers with shoulder holsters for their M9s on. I was walking behind one and immediately moved to the right and bumped my buddy off the side walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I see this ALL THE TIME with Fobbits in A-stan and Iraq. It doesn't bother me too much, except that most of these holsters are locally made and not exactly high quality rigs. The thing that really worries me is that 99.9% of the people who carry like this have never trained with their rigs AT ALL, and would have no idea how to use them if they ever had to. This, coupled with all the "clearing barrel" areas that require constant drawing and reholstering (complete with all the muzzle sweeping that this entails when drawing from a horizontal shoulder rig), doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies...
    Goodness gracious, what kind of holsters are they using in the military now...Bianchi Tuxedos and similar? When I was carrying a .45, I used a Tanker's holster.

I don't use it for carry anymore, but I still have it.

This is nothing new....I understand where you are coming from, but until a directive comes down that forces people with shoulder holsters to have holsters that are designed for muzzle down, you are constantly going to have a problem. I saw this in Bosnia in 1996, 1997, 1999; Kuwait/Iraq in 2003, 2004, 2005.......BFD.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links