Any laywers or law students in here?

This is a discussion on Any laywers or law students in here? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; After reading one to many of those "what if- and how to" posts I got to think..it would be nice to know the law..really well..is ...

Thread: Any laywers or law students in here?

Any laywers or law students in here?

After reading one to many of those "what if- and how to" posts I got to think..it would be nice to know the law..really well..is there anyone in here that recently finished their law or prelaw education?

Anyone that could tell me a little bit about how the prelaw studies is done and how much work is it?

2. Remove Ads

I am not a laywer, or a student of law.

You do not need special "pre-law" education, although many schools offer excellent programs in the subject.

I have two close relatives that are Lawyers. One has an MBA, the other a BA in Economics.

Most of the Lawyers at my work took classes designed to help them get into Law School, but did not receive a formal "law degree". Business is a very common pre-law school degree in my area.

Ron
    I am not sure I fully understand what you are asking. Most law schools simply require an undergraduate degree from a four year accredited college or university. You are not required to major in any particular subject, but in terms of law school it is helpful if you have taken some business and accounting courses.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I went to school with people who had various backgrounds including chemistry, literature, teaching and business; all were able to do well in law school.

Pre-law may, and I stress may, give you an advantage in your first year classes, but it will not go into as much depth as will be needed.

I was a criminal justice major, so I had familiarity with some constitutional law and criminal law & procedure issues, but nothing to the depth I needed to deeply impact law school classes.

Pre-law, literature, economics degrees...when you pick up that 1st year civil procedure text book, it doesn't mean squat.

If you are interested in learning the in's & out's of use of force law, you don't need to go to law school. Their is plenty of material available for study.

Daniela,

If I remember, you were looking at moving to Florida.
    If your concern is about the law here, simply get Gutmacher's Florida Firearms Law, and learn it. It doesn't cover everything. But, it does cover most things. Usually. In Florida.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    After reading one to many of those "what if- and how to" posts I got to think..it would be nice to know the law..really well..is there anyone in here that recently finished their law or prelaw education?

Anyone that could tell me a little bit about how the prelaw studies is done and how much work is it?
    I'm sorry, I am a long way from recent, but I can give you what knowledge that I have gained in my continuing practice over 38 years, as well as continuing education and dealing with newer lawyers. My response is that it would be very nice if you could have multiple majors in English, business, government, history, agriculture, computer science, and engineering. Of course, that is not possible. A lot of law school profesors will tell you that they like English majors because of the writing requirements. The need for a broad background is one of the reasons that many years ago, a liberal arts major was desired. However, if I were hiring a new lawyer today, I would deem a business major the more relevant topic.

When my daughter was in college she called and said she had decided to attend law school, and asked what she should major in. My reply to her was to pick a subject that was the most interesting and in which she made the best grades. She got married shortly after graduation and had abandoned her plans for law school and decided to pursue teaching. It took almost two more years of extra courses to get her teaching certificate before she could enter into teaching.

In summary:

(1) Pick a subject that you will excel in because under graduate grades are a key to law school acceptance;

(2) Pick an under graduate major that also give you some employable skills to cover the contingency that you might decide to pursue a different route;

(3) Read voraciously everything you can get your hands on, but include a lot of non-fiction along the way.

Charles G. White, Board Certified Civil Trial Law, Amarillo, Texas

Thanks guys..I can not decide between Criminal Justice and Entrepreneur studies..
    Am no good in math so I would try to stay away from that, or else I would try some sort of Investments or Securities..But I think that law is a wide degree that can help you in many areas..

Again, thanks!

Go the CJ route.

It is interesting, gives you a taste for what reading cases is like, and will fill you in on some of the basics of research which you can use to find out more info on use of force laws.

It won't hurt you in applying to law school.

while not a current law student - I completed my first year and am finishing my MBA before doing the last two of law -

just about any undergrad degree will do - that being said all of the schools I spoke with said that engineers tended to do better...

I would highly recommend a course like "EyeQ" which is a form of high speed reading (with extra concern for comprehension) there is a lot of reading in law

the schools all required LSAT (law school admission tests) good GPA, recommendations, and an essay...

Some good advise so far. I am in law school now. My undergrad major was environmental studies. There are a lot of crim. justice students in law shool and it helps them only in criminal law, which is 1/20th of law school, at best. So do what you like and what your good at, so you can keep your grades up.

I will simply say that unless you truly desire to be a lawyer, it may not be worth it to you.

Law school is difficult and expensive. The volume of reading and knowledge presented is at times overwhelming. It's like Marine Corps boot camp for your brain; very stressful.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it is not something to be approached half-heartedly. It takes dedication. So, like anything difficult you have to really want it to be successful.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Some good advise so far. I am in law school now. My undergrad major was environmental studies. There are a lot of crim. justice students in law shool and it helps them only in criminal law, which is 1/20th of law school, at best. So do what you like and what your good at, so you can keep your grades up.

I will simply say that unless you truly desire to be a lawyer, it may not be worth it to you.

Law school is difficult and expensive. The volume of reading and knowledge presented is at times overwhelming. It's like Marine Corps boot camp for your brain; very stressful.

So, what I'm trying to say is that it is not something to be approached half-heartedly. It takes dedication. So, like anything difficult you have to really want it to be successful.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Criminal law classes have a very good point to them that law students should take heed to: The study material for criminal law classes is all very similar, if not the same for those classes.

Take your criminal law classes all in the same semester to minimize your study load.

Use the extra time to prep for other classes.

Links