Son joined the Army today

This is a discussion on Son joined the Army today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Congrats to you your son...we all salute him!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Son joined the Army today

Congrats to you your son...we all salute him!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Good Man!

The Soldiers Life

Author: SSgt. Scott E Hilligoss

The soldiers life is not for all
    A soldier must be willing to give his all
    He is overworked and underpaid
    A truer patriot was never made
    Ready to go at any time
    Wherever there is trouble or the first sign
    His courage and honor are unsurpassed
    Ready and willing to complete the task
    Travelling to lands both near and far
    He stands his post and looks at the stars
    Wondering what he might have done
    If he had not chosen to carry a gun
    Remember the next time that you are driving by
    And see the flag flying proud and high
    That somewhere out there a soldier stands
    Weary and cold in a foreign land
    Protecting our country from our foes
    Standing tall and proud come rain or snow.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Godspeed to him, and thank him for his service! We're proud of him, and you!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Former USAF here.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

I joined the USAF for 4 years and ended up serving until I retired. The US military offers a lot of opportunities. Thank your son for serving. Not everyone has what it takes to be an American Warrior.

I'm sure he'll do fine. My own oldest son leaves for Lackland AFB for BMT on April 29th. After that he does another 6 months of tech school for integrated avionics split between Keesler AFB and Shepard AFB. I think I know how you are feeling - proud of him for his decision, but anxious for his well-being. Tell him "thanks for serving" from me and best wishes to him for a long and rewarding career in the military. We need good men and women in our military now, more than ever.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Good luck and Godspeed.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Best of luck to him, and tell him thanks for me... (and all of us)

Even if he isn't accepted, tell him thanks for trying. I say this because not all people that want to serve, can serve. I am a prime example... I tried to join, but was turned down by a health review board in TX...

So either way... My family is greatful to him.

VIP Member
    OK, I'll be the dissenter - To heck with getting a job that will serve him after his time! Get the job he wants to do! I am, of course, biased, but I can't even imagine being in any job other than the Infantry. There is no equivalent in the civilian world, of course, but that's the point - you only get one shot at it (more or less), so go all the way!

I've done all right with my background in the service - Infantry time can go a long way in a lot of jobs if it is admittedly weak in the "technical" fields. Leadership, team work, self-motivation, hard work...these are things that translate anywhere.

In any case, good luck to him, I wish him the best, and he has my sincere gratitude. Keep us posted!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    OK, I'll be the dissenter - To heck with getting a job that will serve him after his time! Get the job he wants to do! I am, of course, biased, but I can't even imagine being in any job other than the Infantry. There is no equivalent in the civilian world, of course, but that's the point - you only get one shot at it (more or less), so go all the way!
    Thats what I did too, but being practical, you have to know how to play the strengths of your MOS and how to squeeze everything out of it you can.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Congratulations to both of you and the best of luck to him!

One word of advice for him from an old Marine.......in the service "missing" a day of work can draw a much harsher penalty than simply being docked 2 days pay......

88m
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I agree with Opfor on this 100% pick an MOS you like and want to do then go all the way with it. Now to add my .2 cents worth have him get his college degree while he is in. That will serve him better when he gets out than what MOS he picks. The GI bill is great but looking back I wish I would have got my degree while I was in instead of waiting till I got out.
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

I'll go ahead and agree with OPFOR and SIXTO. I guess grunts are just crazy, have him choose the job he wants to do, even if it doesn't neccessarily give him a specific skill set for afterwards.

My recruiter looked at me like I was nuts when at 22 with a college degree and a ridiculously high ASVAB (I literally was told I could do any enlister MOS there was available), I told him I was turning down OCS and enlisting in the infantry, no other option in my mind. My point is, have him do what he wants to.

I went through MEPS and all that last year for the Corps, if he has any questions I can try to give him some answers, although surely others on here have more experience with the army.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Congrats.

This is a good choice for young folks who aren't quite sure what to do with their life yet, but want to leave the nest, so to speak.

When I was joining the Army, I looked at the enlistment bonuses for a lot of MOS, then chose one that sounded cool and had a decent bonus. At the time, I think it was something like $6000 for 16S (Stinger gunner).

Granted, not much use for Stinger gunners in the civilian world, but the GI bill paid for a lot of my schooling, afterwards.

what CA mos isn't crazy? regardless i may have some FM's and such that might serve your son well regardless of his MOS(trust me AKO is far too slow to grab every FM, TM, and GTA you need for a job)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links