Any Of You In The Midwest Feel An EarthQuake This Morning?

This is a discussion on Any Of You In The Midwest Feel An EarthQuake This Morning? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just wondering. Any Damage around you? Rare, Large Earthquake Hits Midwest By JIM SUHR, AP Posted: 2008-04-18 12 41 Filed Under: Nation News WEST SALEM, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Of You In The Midwest Feel An EarthQuake This Morning?

Administrator

Any Of You In The Midwest Feel An EarthQuake This Morning?

Just wondering. Any Damage around you?

Rare, Large Earthquake Hits Midwest
    By JIM SUHR,
    AP
    Posted: 2008-04-18 1241
    Filed Under: Nation News

WEST SALEM, Ill. (April 18) -- Residents across the Midwest were awakened Friday by a 5.2 magnitude earthquake that rattled skyscrapers in Chicago's Loop and homes in Cincinnati but appeared to cause no major injuries or damage.

The quake just before 4:37 a.m. was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 45 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Milwaukee, Des Moines, Iowa, and Atlanta, nearly 400 miles to the southeast.

"It shook our house where it woke me up," said David Behm of Philo, 10 miles south of Champaign. "Windows were rattling, and you could hear it. The house was shaking inches. For people in central Illinois, this is a big deal. It's not like California."

In Mount Carmel, 15 southeast of the epicenter, a woman was trapped in her home by a collapsed porch but was quickly freed and wasn't hurt, said Mickie Smith, a dispatcher at the police department. The department took numerous other calls, though none reported anything more serious than objects knocked off walls and out of shelves, she said.

Also in Mount Carmel, a two-story apartment building was evacuated because of loose and falling bricks. Police cordoned off the building, a 1904 school converted to residences.

"Oh, yeah, I felt it. It was interesting," Griswold said. "A lot of shaking."

In Louisville, Ky., the quake caused some bricks to fall off a building near downtown. Television video showed them strewn in the street.

In Chicago, officials were checking structures downtown to ensure there was no damage. The quake also shook skyscrapers in downtown Indianapolis, about 160 miles northeast of the epicenter.

The strongest earthquake on record with an epicenter in Illinois occurred in 1968, when a 5.3-magnitude temblor was recorded about 75 miles southeast of St. Louis, according the USGS. The damage was minor but widespread and there were no serious injuries.

In 1811 and 1812, the New Madrid fault produced a series of earthquakes estimated at magnitude 7.0 or greater said to be felt as far away as Boston. They were centered in the Missouri town of New Madrid (pronounced MAD rid), 140 miles southeast of St. Louis.

Experts say that with the much higher population in the Midwest, another major quake along the New Madrid fault zone could destroy buildings, bridges, roads and other infrastructure, disrupt communications and isolate areas.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I didn't but I woke up about that time and I assume that may be what woke me up. The local news is making a bid deal out of it even though we are quite a ways away. South Bend, IN here.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    I slept right through it, but one of my wife's friends says here house trembled and their pets went berserk.

I'm in Southern Mo.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

The news said it could be felt in the Detroit area, but not by me. Of course, I slept through a good one in california before. I still feel bad about beating the dog for knocking everything off of every shelf and table in the house...

(just kidding. I didn't beat him, but I thought he did it)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Doggone I lost the story. I think it was a 5.6 ?

Correction. a 5.2 - I just found a story and posted it.

Don't know anything about it. Fixin' to find out though!

Administrator
    I didnt feel it, I was sleeping... but my lady friend said my dog jumped up and started running around at the time of the quake.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Good addition SIXTO. Interesting.
    I wonder how many members pets knew something was happening and not their owners?

Hey...it's good to trust those ultra~sensitive animal instincts.

WOW never knew it happen until I got on here!

VIP Member
    QKShooter I didn't feel it in St. James (middle of state) but my daughter who lives in St. Louis Called me this morning to see if I was alright. She told me it shook her place so hard, that she woke up thinking some one was trying to break in. I was up at the time of the earthquake and my place did not shake. But the St. Louis news said a lot of broken windows in Arnold which is just outside of St. Louis. And the news also said they had to shut down Kingshighway which is a major road in St, Louis because of bricks falling down from the overpass at Kingshighway and Vanderbuilt.

Woke me up .. lasted about 5 seconds and was over. Nothing really big, bed moved, concrete structure was creaking, water from my shower head spurted a little water... other than that, nothing. Even the tiny aftershock (4.something) did nothing... I thought it was the pressure change in the building, come to find out an hour later it was an aftershock.

Just up the road from Sixto, had same reaction. Didn't even know there was a quake till got to the bus stop!

Steve

My son lives nearby in IN...I'll have to ask him if he felt anything.

Had many (they say hundreds per week) although we only felt a few each week in Alaska's Aleutian Islands...that was years ago. They were a common thing in AK, no one really thought much of them until we had one that was 8.0 in May of '86...that was an attention getter!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Slept through it I guess, although some friends said it woke them up. Someone said it did some damage to some roads around St. Louis, dunno if that's true though.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

I am probably about as far northeast of Vincennes as the epicenter was southwest of Vincennes (45 miles or so) and had been up about 30 minutes and certainly could feel it. Knew exactly what it was at the time but thought it lasted a little longer (10 seconds or so) and that concerned me a little. Work in Bloomington (another 45 miles northeast of here) and also felt the 11:00 aftershock. Know of no damage in our neck of the woods although the State and County were inspecting bridges immediately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links