So I was bored, it was late and I decided to write this.

This is a discussion on So I was bored, it was late and I decided to write this. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Posted somewhere else, some time ago. ____________________________________ Cleaning-wise, there are few guns (if any) that are as versatile as a Glock. There are a great ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was bored, it was late and I decided to write this.

VIP Member

Posted somewhere else, some time ago.

Cleaning-wise, there are few guns (if any) that are as versatile as a Glock. There are a great many numbers of products in the market that are geared to the plastic “wunder” cannon. Make sure of this because some regular gun cleaners are NOT good with plastics and you will end up with a blob resembling a crayon on a summer noon.

There are, of course, other non-traditional methods to clean Austrian Combat Tupperware. First and most commonly used by non-traditionalists is, of course, the dishwasher. I can see you wince right now, but hear me out. There are horror stories out there about Glocks utterly destroyed by this particular treatment and they are true. However, these cases happened because their owners were foolish enough not to think about how to do it properly or not follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the proper care of the gun.

If you use a bit of common sense, you can achieve amazing results without damaging your precious firearm by using the diswasher. In an article appeared on July 1981 on Guns and Chicks, Ludovico Glock (Second cousin of Gaston) mentions that the idea of using a Dishwasher to clean their guns caught them by surprise. It did originate in the USA because very few households in Europe have dishwashers and even fewer own guns. The revelation prompted a flurry of activity at Glock R&D to test and insure that such method would be safe and the efficiency of the gun would not be diminished in any way, shape or form. The discovered some interesting facts: First, NEVER use granulated dishwashing detergents. They scour the outside of the gun and wreak havoc with the octagonal barrel (Aftermarket barrels like Jarvis or Bar-Sto will withstand the torture without problems.) The old traditional Cascade that looks like kitty litter has to be forgotten and used only on greasy pans or Springfield XD’s. Liquid-based detergents are perfect and safe with the exception of those that have some citrus scent or add on in them. They tend to corrode somewhat the springs and pit the firing pin so steer clear of them. The new Gelpack detergents have proven to be just the best thing that could happen to a Glock since the creation of the drop-free mags. They dissolve completely and leave no residue whatsoever and these new detergents do manage to get into every corner of the gun. Some owners swear that the trigger pull improves dramatically and it feels much crispier than before. If the detergent also has some of the new Oxy-type cleaners then you have an added bonus since this baby helps with preventing buildup of carbon foul up in the chamber and copper deposits in the barrel.

Go to the Glock website and look for the .PDF “Your Glock and Your Dishwasher.” It will give you the updated Do’s and Don’t’s and you will be a happier Glock owner.

Warning, the above article is a JOKE intended to miff Glock owners. It does not have one single sliver of truth except the Austrian Combat Tupperware thing. It is intended for mature audiences and reader's discretion is advised. Taxes, tags and registration are appart and should not be used if you intend to operate heavy machinery or are pregnant, suffer seizures or have had dental surgery in the past 15 years. TSSA is not responsible for the contents of this message and has paid all dues and fees regarding the publication of this article. Voided in California Massachussets and Austria. Check local legislation before you buy and don't drink and drive.For more information please visit www.miggyisfullofs!t.com

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

1952 - 2006
    I like it Miggy, well said, especially about the "Austrian Combat Tupperware".

They are incredible guns, but I just can't go there.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Lead Moderator
    yup, excellent guns. Dishwasher? Will have to try it on my HK. LOL.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I use MEK(the military version) on all my plastic guns. I feel that it makes them instantly tighter. The slides seem to have less wobble and the mag fits almost "perfect" in the well. Caution~~~:: after cleaning you will have to sight the weapon in as it will shoot about 1-3 meters high.---------

Senior Moderator
    You had me goin' there for a minute - thanks for the disclaimer at the end; you saved my Glocks from my dishwasher tonight!

Dont laugh People have washed there Glocks in the ishwasher ... Would work to as long as you rember to use heated dry so the water wouldnt sit in it

Administrator

Miggy Was REALLY Bored Last Night

But, boredom can sometimes be a good thing.
    Hopefully, everybody knows not to put their GLOCK into the dishwasher.
    I usually just put mine (completely assembled) into the regular clothes washer with the towels & the washcloths. They get squeaky clean.
    The bleach does not hurt them at all but, stay away from using fabric softener. It softens the recoil but, it also softens the plastic frame material!
    The LAZY people who don't like to clean their own GLOCK firearms usually just send them out to the Dry Cleaner. Sadly, many Dry Cleaning establishments will no longer clean GLOCKS. They feel that they are unsafe. The same way that folks leave spare change & airline tickets & family photos in their clothes pockets...is they same way they are leaving bullets in their GLOCK pistols. Too many Dry Cleaning workers were getting injured or killed when the coat hanger hooks were getting caught up in the trigger guard.
    MAKE SURE that whatever Dry Cleaner you select has a F.F.L. or it's illegal for you to leave your GLOCK there for cleaning!!
    A non Federally Licensed Dry Cleaner can only clean your GLOCK for you "While You Wait" also: Make SURE that your GLOCK serial number appears on your Dry Cleaning receipt or you might take in a .45acp GLOCK & get somebody else's 9mm GLOCK back! You'll need to be able to prove which GLOCK is yours since they all look exactly the same. A "word to the wise" should be sufficient.
    Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    This board is full of nutjobs!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

JT
    I just shower with mine. Kills two birds with one stone, and I don't have stop carrying.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator

Jt

Doggoneit...Why didn't I think of that?
    Just Shower With It!
    Shampoo & a little "conditioner" just to make sure your pistol always stays in perfect "CONDITION" & you're good to go!
    Thanks JT!

VIP Member

And adding an Oil Treatment to your hair, you also maintain your gun properly lubricated.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

They say Jet Dry is better than CLP
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Lead Moderator
    Is showering with your gun considered too paranoid?

So where exactly do you stick the Glock while washing your hair?
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Assistant Administrator
    So where exactly do you stick the Glock while washing your hair?
    Censored

BTW - other alternative is to wear the Glock when you go swimming - preferably in salt water. Once finished with the swim - simply shoot it dry
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links