Hunter who found B.C. triple murder suspect hailed as 'hero'

This is a discussion on Hunter who found B.C. triple murder suspect hailed as 'hero' within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hunter who found B.C. triple murder suspect hailed as 'hero' Here's to you, Mr. Robinson! Posted: April 17, 2008, 11:44 AM by Karen Hawthorne Canada, ...

Thread: Hunter who found B.C. triple murder suspect hailed as 'hero'

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson! Posted: April 17, 2008, 11:44 AM by Karen Hawthorne
    Canada, News

As fear and frustration over the justice system played out in the small community of Merritt in B.C.'s interior, a 'gentle giant' had been hunting Allan Dwayne Schoenborn -- the prime suspect in the killings of his three children Kaitlynne, 10, Max, 8, and Cordon, 5 -- for two to three hours every day since the murders.

Kim Robinson, 51, a hunter and trapper who's lived in Merritt for 30 years, found Schoenborn Wednesday morning in the woods outside town, looking frail and beaten and reportedly asking for water and a cigarette. As Robinson told the Vancouver Sun: "He said, 'Are you going to kill me?' I said, 'No, but I will if I have to.' " Robinson called RCMP on his cellphone at about 10 a.m. and police reportedly arrived in 15 minutes.

Robinson called the murder suspect a "scared, pathetic little shell of a man" and no match for himself: "I'm 240 pounds and I've done hard **** all my life." He carries a knife and a grizzly claw on his belt.

His wife, Linda, a comptroller for Sanders and Co. Contracting Ltd., says she's proud of her husband, although she admits she never really thought he'd end up capturing the man suspected of killing his three young children.

To which Robinson jokingly objects: "Why not? Haven't you seen me catch 200 mountain lions over the years?"

Audio: Kamloops Radio NL interviews Kim Robinson (coarse language warning)

Global BC video: Murder suspect caught Wednesday

Global BC video: Unedited interview with Kim Robinson

According to Canwest News Service, Schoenborn is no longer in the Nicola Valley town. He was treated in hospital for dehydration and has been rehopitalized. Schoenborn requested his lawyer come from Vancouver, they talked for about three hours overnight, but then investigators took Shoenborn back to the hospital because they felt he needed more medical attention. He was transferred out of town to another hospital under police guard. It is unclear when Schoenborn will be charged. Police say they are, however, expediting their forensic work from the crime scene.

The MLA from Merritt says now is the time for the questions be answered after the arrest of Schoenborn, including why the suspect was released on bail through a telephone process. Harry Lalli says the telebail system failed and must be reviewed. Lalli also wants answers on the nearly day-long delay before Schoenborn was identified as the prime suspect. “If not releasing that information in the last 10 days or at this point, it is material to the investigation that is going on. Then they have a reason not to talk. But if it is immaterial, then obviously the questions are legitimate."

Comments from readers are pouring in on the Vancouver Sun Web site, praising Robinson's heroism:

Community Healing can now Begin
    We are all thankful the suspect has been caught. Kim Robinson is a hero, who deserves an award. It is doubtful that anyone had much sleep since this tragedy. Individuals were constantly looking over their shoulder, afraid to be alone, doors locked during the daytime. Now that the suspect has been apprehended the rest of the whole story should emerge; but I for one won't be surprised if their are some twists to the entire story. Thank you Kim, we are grateful that you are part of our community!

taxpayer
    Kim Robinson - you are a wonderful man, a hero today for sure. THANK YOU.

Peter
    So much for the rcmp catching their man...telling people the dad was inside the house at the start, then waiting 20 hours to warn the public, the RCMP dropped the ball on this case from the start..thank god for the tracker from Vernon..good old hard work pays off...

steve,
    way to go kim,if anyone could bring closer to this disgusting act,i feel theres no other man that could even come close.good job.

Mrs. Rooke
    ...This man who caught him deserves a gold medal for what he has done...

Survivor of abuse
    My thoughts and prayers are with the family members and community that is greatly impacted by this terrible loss. Grateful to Mr. Robinson for finding this man so that the Merritt community is now at ease and have some peace of mind.

Bob from Merritt
    Kim Robinson is a real hero. I am sure lunch is on the house anywhere you go in town - if not I'm buying!

Rachel
    ...and here's to you, Mr. Robinson, jesus loves you more than you will know. We must protect children, no matter what amount of bureaucracy and finger pointing exists in our society.

Andrea
    Good on you, Kim, for taking it upon yourself to do yet another good thing for your community. Merritt should be thankful for people like Kim who genuinely care about their community and others as Kim does. He is a very good friend of mine and I'm proud to be able to say that. I have been feeling very sad for the mother who lost her children, no mother should ever have to lose her children, especially that way, sorry to hear of your loss. I once lived in Merritt and it is a very pleasant little community that has had many unpleasant things happen in it.

Kelsey Wagner
    Screw Tasers... the cops should carry a KIm Robinson.

scott
    heres to you Mr. Robinson. You deserve a huge reward and thanks from every citizen of our country.

Belle
    Let's celebrate Mr. Robinson...he is a great man of strength & courage, he is a real man, in terms of the old wild west, and of today as well. Nothing he did was vigilante, but only responsible concern for family & community.

More on this story from the National Post:

Trapper who found Schoenborn 'a mountain of a man'

Father of slain children received 'break' from justice of peace

RCMP grilled for delay in alerting town over suspect

Slain children's dad urged to give up

In absence of killer, questions

Here's to you, Mr. Robinson! Hunter who found B.C. triple murder suspect hailed as 'hero' - Posted

2. Remove Ads

What the article does not say is the BG had a dog with him, the hunter dispatched the dog and then let his rather large mastiff (see link for picture) soften the guy up a bit, I suspect that's why they took him to hospital, I suspect he will need a few stitches.

VIP Member
    This is good another BG off the street's. Hopefully for ever. Thank you Mrs, O' I mean Mr Robinson.

RCMP really dropped the ball on that one didn't they...

I bet they drag this case out like the pig farm case...

Should have been ripped apart by the dog, than shot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Willington View Post
    RCMP really dropped the ball on that one didn't they...

I bet they drag this case out like the pig farm case...
    This time I won't blame them much, they aren't the bush guys of lore anymore, most of them are Urban types, they kept up a good ring around the town which kept him in the area. they did make mistakes and I suspect that a few people are going to get reassigned because of it.

Distinguished Member
    "To which Robinson jokingly objects: 'Why not? Haven't you seen me catch 200 mountain lions over the years?'"

Someone needs to contact PETA. That's an outrage.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Links