Question about ISP service

This is a discussion on Question about ISP service within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As you all know I'm in the Philippines right now and we have a" DSL " ISP and it is really bad. They say I ...

Thread: Question about ISP service

Question about ISP service

As you all know I'm in the Philippines right now and we have a" DSL " ISP and it is really bad. They say I have 100 Mbps download time but it reminds me of the slow dial up days. I've been thinking of changing to a satellite ISP. Can anyone tell me if satellite service is any good. These are my only choices here. I have a satellite service for my TV and it works great unless it's very cloudy out.
    Thanks for your input,
    Rhome
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

2. Remove Ads

DrTCP windows tcp tuning and tweaking - dslreports.com (utility)
    Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed test
    Internet Speed test - Broadband, DSL Bandwidth Connection Check
    Internet Performance and Speed test
    MySpeed - Speed test
    Bandwidth Place Speed test

You may be able to tweak your download speed with the first application listed. There is also a site that will tell you your optimum settings for your computer's Tcp receive window. I use it, and my settings are other than default as of now. I'm on cable and it's doing 1.52Mps now. Don't know about satellite other than it can be rather finicky as you say according to the weather and other environmental factors. Good luck.

Yea, what Ram Rod said about trying to tweak your settings on DSL. I know that Satellite is getting better than it was when they first started it in 2003. It wasn't too bad but it's better now. It still goes down if either you or the ISP is having bad weather but not too often.

I would have asked them to clarify your download speed. A T3 line is a business line and is only 45Mbps, and it's pretty expensive so I know that DSL cannot even think of getting speeds like that. I'm on cable and get around 3-5Mbps, I pay for 7Mbps but I only get that on a good day. LOL.

hmmmmmmm,,, I just checked with MySpeed and they say I'm getting 9.16Mbps. Whoo hoo!!! LOL.

VIP Member
    I'd try tweaking your settings to speed up your DSL. Not sure what satellite runs now, but a few years ago it was VERY expensive, equipment ran about $1000. You needed a seperate dish, since the signal comes off of a different satellite. Satellite modem for it and the monthly fee was very expensive as well. If memory serves me correctly, around $150 per month. I'm sure it has come down some, but how much I have no idea.
    Last edited by archer51; April 20th, 2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add info

Satellite here in PI is about 2000 peso's / month which is about $45 USD, they tell me I will need to get a modem for their satellite cable but that's about as much as I know about it. I did check the speed and it is running 2.05 Mbps for download speed and .332 Mbps for upload speed. My biggest complaint with our ISP is that they don't keep me connected to their server for more than a few minutes at a time before I have to either reset their modem or they fix whatever problems their server is having. Very frustrating. Thats why I was wondering about satellite service.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~

My biggest complaint with our ISP is that they don't keep me connected to their server for more than a few minutes at a time before I have to either reset their modem or they fix whatever problems their server is having. Very frustrating. Thats why I was wondering about satellite service.
    Is this happening just recently, or ever since you've been connected with them? I wonder if there are some computer settings you can do to prevent this or lengthen the time you stay connected. I've heard that some ISP's will automatically disconnect you after a preset period of inactivity. If you're wanting to stay connected all the time and not actively using the connection--this may be the case. Most of the times the ISP's do this is because of limited server space.

You should think twice before switching to satellite. While the downstream speeds are reasonably fast, your up stream speed is actually dial up.

You will get a dish to receive the downstream signal, but you will actually have to dial up on a phone line to get the up stream.

This means that every time you make a request for a new webpage it goes out on the phone line and after all the processing the result is sent back to you via satellite. The overall experience due to the phone lag is, well, not good.

Perhaps things are so bad in the PI that this is an option. But state side it would always be the choice of last resort.

I would look around and see if there is a wireless option.... this is where everything is headed and in many parts of Europe and the US it's already there. (I know PI is in Asia.) Wireless speeds are now routinely as fast, or faster than cable.

Good luck, I hope you can find something that works for you.
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
    You should think twice before switching to satellite. While the downstream speeds are reasonably fast, your up stream speed is actually dial up.

You will get a dish to receive the downstream signal, but you will actually have to dial up on a phone line to get the up stream.

This means that every time you make a request for a new webpage it goes out on the phone line and after all the processing the result is sent back to you via satellite. The overall experience due to the phone lag is, well, not good.
    Actually that's how they used to operate. But now you can get satellite internet services where it's all through satellite (transmit and receive), at least that's how HughesNet works now. So for them you won't need a phone line.

Some people (and local governments) are actually getting satellite services to use during emergencies when/if the local infrastructure goes down. Not the cheapest option, but just being able to deploy a dish and have internet access is pretty useful.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Actually that's how they used to operate. But now you can get satellite internet services where it's all through satellite (transmit and receive), at least that's how HughesNet works now. So for them you won't need a phone line.

Some people (and local governments) are actually getting satellite services to use during emergencies when/if the local infrastructure goes down. Not the cheapest option, but just being able to deploy a dish and have internet access is pretty useful.
    Thanks for the update. I don't really keep up with the satellite market and probably should have checked before posting.

I'm guessing from your post that satellite is still the choice of last resort. And is being deployed only in a blackout situation. Does that sound right?

Do you have any idea what the Tx/Rx speeds are?
    Light travels faster than sound.

Which explains why some people appear to be bright, until you hear them speak!

Senior Moderator
    I've got Satellite and its so much faster than dial up that I wanted to throw a wild drunk...and I don't even drink.

I don't even have a phone line, so I guess that doesn't matter anymore. We got rid of it when everyone in the house had their own cell phone, about the only people that called on it were salesmen.

In my case, I live too far out for cable and satellite was the only option other than a primitive extremely slow dial up.

Since then, I haven't regretted it. About the only negative is that service blinks on and off during thunderstorms.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Usually I hate to get into the discussions because there is so much bad information being passed around until usually when you try to explain what is really happeing you wind up makeing someone mad.

The 100Mbps speed you are refering to may be your local network speed or the speed from your PC to the modem. It is not you DSL speed as DSL does not work anywhere close to that range. About the fastest DSL speed you will find is 10Mbps. Most common is the 1.54 Mbps download and 256Kbps upload for residential access. Right now I have 6Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload but thinking about dropping back to the 1.5 Mbps rate. Unless you are downloading videos or similar there is no need for high bandwidth. Cablevision IPS services work on a different protocol and your speed will vary all over the place according to how many they decide to put on the same network as you and how many of those are using at the same time.

Another problem that you may run into with some of the smaller ISP's is the bandwidth of the ISP to the Internet. For instance if you get a 6 Mbps DSL connection but the provider only has a 5 Mbps connection to the Internet the max you are ever going to get is 5 Mbps and that is if you are their only customer.

I often run into sites where their connection is limited so if I try to download something from their server it will be very slow no matter what my speed is and there is nothing I or my ISP can do about it.

As for getting disconnected from you ISP's server that is a matter of terminology because once you log in to you service when you initially connect and get verified then you are no longer ever connected to their server. You are connected to the Internet, not a server. You only connect to a server when you are actually downloading or uploading something. I used to be an ISP and have been all through this with customers trying to explain that the error message that they were getting had nothing to do with my servers.

What you may be seeing and I sometimes see it with my service is the line dropping and not reconnecting immediately. DSL just like CATV should be connected all the time. There is no need to ever disconnect once the connection is established. If you keep getting dropped then the phone company needs to fix that. You could also be having problems with DNS servers. For some reason that seems to be a weak point with some ISP's and is such an easy fix. I changed my setting to use my DNS servers at work the ones from my ISP kept being so flaky.

There have been a good many improvements in the satellite delivery in the past few years and is a viable alternative unless you like on-line gaming. Ping times are going to be slow and it is just the fact that the satellites are sitting 25,000 miles above the earth and the signals can only travel so fast. I haven't priced it in quite a while so I don't know the cost.

Someone mentioned wireless (cell phone connections). If it is available in your area it is a viable alternative. I know of many people that are using it rather than dial-up in rural areas and a good many even in other areas where they no longer have a land-line phone.

Ram Rod gave some good sites to check out your actual speed that you are getting but don't try to get to technical using them. Be sure what speed you are supposed to be getting. It will not be 100 Mbps. If you are not gewttign anywhere close to what you are paying for then contact your ISP. Sometimes you may get the run-around but one time they simply rebooted the switch for my DSL line and it cleared everything up.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMerle View Post
    Thanks for the update. I don't really keep up with the satellite market and probably should have checked before posting.

I'm guessing from your post that satellite is still the choice of last resort. And is being deployed only in a blackout situation. Does that sound right?

Do you have any idea what the Tx/Rx speeds are?
    From HughesNet's site it looks like, depending on the plan, anywhere from 700kbps - 1.5Mbps download and 128kbps-200kbps upload for residential plans. Definitely not outstanding but I guess better than nothing if you just don't have DSL, cable, or phone service.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the satellite services put in data limits on how much you can "use" each month.

Definitely not going to be the best deal out there, but if that's the only way to get internet where you happen to be......

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post

There have been a good many improvements in the satellite delivery in the past few years and is a viable alternative unless you like on-line gaming. Ping times are going to be slow and it is just the fact that the satellites are sitting 25,000 miles above the earth and the signals can only travel so fast. I haven't priced it in quite a while so I don't know the cost.

Someone mentioned wireless (cell phone connections). If it is available in your area it is a viable alternative. I know of many people that are using it rather than dial-up in rural areas and a good many even in other areas where they no longer have a land-line phone.
    +1 on very slow ping times. We setup a school who insisted on a sat system and the online kids programs (flash, etc) were painful. Downloading is very fast but click response is somewhat slow.
    Also available is point to point wireless available in some rural cities in the us, may find it abroad. Setup is rather expensive, but bandwidth is good. BTW, how far are you from the ISP, distance and cable quality make a huge difference in dsl.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Thanks for all of your inputs, FN1910, you're correct that my line is getting dropped on average about every 5-10 min. and the re-connect is very slow sometimes not at all until I turn off the power to the modem and then restart it. As of now I'm in a dispute with the ISP as I believe the owe me a " rebate as they say " on my bill for the bad service they are providing.

Links