U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia

U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia

This is a discussion on U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; FOXNews.com - U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia - International News | News of the World ...

Thread: U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia

FOXNews.com - U.S. Pastor Given More Than 3 Years in Prison for Bringing Rifle Shells Into Russia - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Monday, April 21, 2008

MOSCOW — A Moscow court on Monday sentenced a U.S. pastor to more than three years in prison for smuggling hunting ammunition into Russia.

Phillip Miles, from South Carolina, has been in custody since his arrest on Feb. 3. He was arrested several days after customs agents at a Moscow airport found a box of 20 rifle shells in his luggage.

The court sentenced him to serve three years and two months in prison, with the sentence calculated from his detention date.

Miles has said he brought the .300 caliber cartridges for a friend who had recently bought a Winchester rifle. He said he did not know bringing such ammunition into Russia was illegal.

Judge Olga Drozdova accepted in her 20-minute summation that Miles had brought the ammunition for a friend, "as they are both inveterate hunters."

The cartridges were not initially found as he flew into Moscow. They were detected a day later as airport security put his luggage through an X-ray machine while he was on his way to check in for a flight to Perm, a city in Siberia.

Miles was dressed in a gray jacket and clerical collar for his sentencing.

"I'm very disappointed. It's a strange sentence for one box of hunting bullets," he said as court bailiffs led him in handcuffs from the courtroom cage, where defendants in Russian criminal courts are held during trial.

His lawyer said the sentence was surprisingly severe.

"I hoped he would only be found guilty of the illegal possession of ammunition," Vladimir Ryakhovsky said.

He said the conviction for smuggling was unfounded as his client had acted without any intent to break the law.

An appeal will be filed within 10 days, he said.

Miles seemed relaxed throughout the judge's summation.

His interpreter struggled to keep up with the judge's delivery and stopped at various points throughout the sentencing. At one point, Miles tapped the interpreter's elbow to remind her to resume.

Miles has admitted bringing in the shells, but said he did not bother to check if Russian laws differed from U.S. laws.

But Drozdova said the court could not condone ignorance of Russian customs regulations and noted Miles had visited the country more than 10 times.

She also stressed repeatedly that information on baggage limitations was available in the airport in both English and Russian.

Ryakhovsky said, however, that leaflets in the airport contained no specific references to a prohibition on taking cartridges onto flights.

"The judge's finding on that front was dishonest," he said.

Miles will remain in a Moscow jail until the appeal.
    Didn't I read somewhere about knowing the laws of the state you're going to? Oh, yeah. I read that HERE. Of all the experiences I want in life, spending time in a Russian jail is NOT one of them.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    When in Russia do as the Russians do.........
    Problem here (in America) is that we will adjust our laws so that we don't offend anyones civil rights.....come to our country and we will change our laws to fit you.......no need for you to comply to our current laws....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    And I have even worse news for the Pastor. If the court's decision is not reversed, he will be considered a felon in the US and thus he can kiss his right to firearms goodbye.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Ironic and sad...to think of all the missiles and other such items smuggled out of Russia over the last few decades, and a man is sentenced to 38 months in prison for 20 rounds.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Unthinking hacks in governments are as fearful and mindless in Russia, apparently, as anywhere else. Got the smell of gunpowder on ya?, then ya must be intending the overthrow of somthin'.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Ironic and sad...to think of all the misiles and other such items smuggled out of Russia over the last few decades, and a man is sentenced to 38 months in prison for 20 rounds.
    +1 They also want to make a statement to the U.S. We haven't been seeing eye to eye lately, and they knew this would make headlines!!

I have no desire to ever visit that Country!!
    I wish we could plan a trip for the misinformed in this country, drop them off in a few Select Countries and see if it changes their Idea of a Right!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I thought they hunted and stuff in Russia. Is it the caliber?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    yeah, i've seen several hunting shows on hunting russian brown bears and the assorted sheep. this is news to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And I have even worse news for the Pastor. If the court's decision is not reversed, he will be considered a felon in the US and thus he can kiss his right to firearms goodbye.
    Bingo. ^^

People really have to use their thinking caps when it comes to firearms.
    Know the laws and ways of where you are going as they very often do vary from where you might happen to live.
    What was this dude thinking? He actually took that ammo past US TSA as well which is very much unlawful in modern day America, never mind Russia.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Maybe it was the brand of ammo. Maybe your only allowed to have Wolf ammo in Russia.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Try buying ammo outside the U.S. and bring it in. There are certain ways of doing it and ways that will get you in trouble. I think his main problem was not declaring it, however' importing ammo into Russia may simply be illegal. Here's a sample of airline law:

Ammunition - Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. If ammunition is permitted, it must be declared to the airline at check-in. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

From the article it sounds like he was charged with, found guilty of, and sentenced for 'smuggling ammo', not possession of ammo.

Assuming you don't just walk across the border, smuggling ammo, drugs, or whatever into the United States would get you a stiff sentence, also.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sponsored Links