Dad mistakes son for wild turkey.

This is a discussion on Dad mistakes son for wild turkey. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com What a nightmare this would be... i can't imagine how you'd feel after something like this....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dad mistakes son for wild turkey.

Dad mistakes son for wild turkey.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

What a nightmare this would be... i can't imagine how you'd feel after something like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Absolutely tragic!

Prayers sent.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

How sad.
    But how stupid, I'm sorry to say, not to verify what you are shooting at before you pull the trigger.
    God bless the little boy and may his parents have the strength to pull through this.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Very sad and tragic indeed...a tragedy that will never go away.

Rick

I guess the dad knows. Just how the hell do you mistake your own child for a turkey? According to the report, he and his son were wearing camo. Turkeys don't wear camo. An 8 year old boy weighs about 60 lbs or more. Turkeys don't weight near that much. The distance was ONLY 20 yards.

As the sheriff said, a terrible trajedy, but one of gross negligence - manslaughter. The father obviously was more interested in killing a turkey than he was in Hunter/hunter safety. The boy's name was Hunter. That is ironic.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

that is horrible my prayers are with them
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Just terrible. My thoughts and condolences are with the family. It was obviously a tragic accident, and I'm sure the dad feels more pain than any of us could possibly imagine. I will withold any further judgement for now.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Apparently, mistaking people in cam for turkeys is not uncommon:

Turkey Hunter Mistakenly Shoots, Kills Camouflaged Man In Tree

POLK COUNTY, Fla. -- A camouflaged hunter sitting in a tree was accidentally shot and killed Friday by another hunter trying to shoot a turkey, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.

Investigators said Michael Shane Hasting, 40, was hunting with his 6-year-old son at the River Ranch Acres Hunt Club Friday and spotted a turkey.

Hasting fired at the turkey and moved forward to see if he hit the bird. He then discovered that he accidentally shot Randall Williamson of Pompano Beach.

Williamson was in the wooded area sitting in what is known as a squatter's chair and wearing camouflage clothing and mesh over his face, according to a Polk County sheriff's news release. He was also holding a camouflage shotgun.

Detectives are treating the incident as an accidental shooting and no charges will be filed, according to officials.

People often posts on various forums about what caliber or gun for defense against mountain lions and bears and I have to laugh because in comparison to the risk posed by hunters who kill and injure 10s of times more people (almost always hunters or people in hunting parties) than mountain lions and bears, combined, kill or injure (inclusive of everyone, not just hunters).

Apparently, mistaking people in cam for turkeys is not uncommon:
    It is good to know that such recklessness is so common. What the hell is the matter with folks like this?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Sad indeed, but absolutely no excuse for not 'knowing' your target BEFORE you pull the trigger.
    Many of these 'hunting accidents' involve alcohol...but regardless, hunters taking brush shots (shooting at something moving in the brush) was one of the reasons I quit deer hunting in MI may years ago.
    About the only safe way to hunt is to belong to an organized club with lots of land or know a farmer with protected property...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It must be devastating.

I remember a few years back I was visiting my dad's farm for deer season. Being the only person allowed to hunt on his land, I wasn't expecting to run into any other hunters at 5 am. All of a sudden out of the pitch black I hear "hello?" as I'm walking to my stand. I must've jumped about 5 feet in the air. Turned out to be someone from an adjacent farm. Told me he thought I was a deer and all I said was, "thanks for waiting to find out." I told him he could watch that area and I'd take another field. Spooked me good.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

There are hunting accidents that do occur such as people shooting at a bird flushing in heavy brush and somebody being in a position where the hunter can't see them when shooting,but mistaking a person for a deer or turkey IMHO is bull,failure to identify you're target before shooting,shooting at movement or noise etc.If so called hunters were actually charged criminally for involuntarily shooting somebody due to negligence maybe hunters won't be so quick to shoot at noises or deer running over a hill at 300 yards and shooting til their guns empty without taking into account they don't know what's behind the ridge.At the ranges you shoot a turkey there is no reason not to be able to see it's a turkey.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Several years ago hunters in certain areas were advised to not use white toilet paper because several had been mistaken for white tailed deer and shot. I know at least one of the four rules of gun safety should cover this but when you make something idiot proof they just build better idiots.

Boy the thought of that happening to my 6 year old son makes me sick at my stomach. Last time I was turkey hunting I saw two guys heading my way down the tree line on private property. I watched them for about 50 yards and as soon as I figured out who they were and as I was bow hunting I took an arrow out and waved my feathers where they could see me and it. (Orange and white) When I got their attention they looked quite sheepish and headed the other way while making apoligies. One was a police officer the other our county game warden. It's nice to get one up on the game warden. Although I've never been in a situation where I had to worry about the game warden and in fact we get along just fine. He was hunting the property next to ours but using the tree line on our property for cover to get to where he was going to hunt. The property he was going to hunt on belongs to one of our state senators and he never allows anyone to hunt it except the game warden.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Drunk, stoned, and armed, a deadly combination...

KSTP.com - Man*who shot son had alcohol, pot in his system

The Belle Plaine man who fatally shot his 8-year-old son while turkey hunting last month had alcohol and marijuana in his system at the time of the incident, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday in Sibley County.

Anthony Klaseus mistook his son, Hunter, for a wild turkey last month and shot him in the chest with a 12-gauge shotgun, according to police.

When officials arrived at the scene, they smelled alcohol and asked Klaseus if he had been drinking.

Klaseus stated he had consumed one beer several hours earlier in the day and agreed to take a preliminary breath test. Klaseus tested with a BAC of .060.

Investigators searched Klaseus vehicle and found several 12-packs of beer and several empty bottles and cans. They also found a marijuana pipe, which had freshly burnt marijuana residue inside.

After urine tests, Klaseus was found with an ethyl alcohol concentration of .05 grams. The sample was collected three hours after the time of the shooting. tests regarding the exact amount of marijuana in Klaseus' system will be released in the next few weeks.

Klaseus is charged with second-degree manslaughter, reckless discharge of a firearm, trespassing, and hunting without a license.

If convicted, Klaseus faces over 15 years in prison, a $32,000 fine, or both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links