Payment method

This is a discussion on Payment method within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've noticed not only here but on most forums where the members have the availability sell that many insist on paypal, or postal money order. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payment method

Payment method

I've noticed not only here but on most forums where the members have the availability sell that many insist on paypal, or postal money order.

Well, I shut down my paypal account several years ago. Not necessarily on the anti-rights issue but the service is horrible. They would always take the money from my checking account and not from the credit card I selected.

When I'd call, their Idea of service was to put all the blame on you, and they would not/could not replace the money to your checking account and charge the correct card.

When the seller wanted a postal money order I went to mailboxes etc. They sell everything the post office does except money orders. We all know that carrying in the post office is a no-no. In Phoenix there is pretty much always a line. An hour out of your day is actually substantial.

My question is, does a better system exist? Is there some way that the seller can get their money guaranteed without making it so difficult for the buyer.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

2. Remove Ads

For a better option; Cash FTF, or over the internet, you could send a Personal Check, but you would most likely have to wait until it cleared for the item to be shipped.

Honestly, Western Union would be my preferred choice. They get the money instantly(almost), and I would have a receipt of my purchase. Also, if they indeed want the money, it would have to be a real name...or at least a counterfeited ID.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I've done checks over the phone before to commercial companies of course. Brownell's is my most recent addition using this form of payment. Paypal has never given me problems, I have a few different funding sources that I use, and I always make sure it's the one I want before clicking on 'continue'. Sometimes it's hard to change things and verify, but I figure it's pretty secure in that respect. I don't use credit cards any more.

VIP Member
    I have not had a problem with PayPal but if a seller wants check or money order I always use a certified check, line is always shorter at the bank and there is no charge for certified check.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly, Western Union would be my preferred choice.
    All well and good however the closest WU is 53 miles away from me , and many rural folk face the same .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Strange... I've had a business PayPal account for years, and have never had problems with pay selections.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I was mainly talking about forum members. I already pay most of my bills online.

I've talked to a quite a few people who have never had a problem with paypal. Actually when I just had the debit card it was no problem. As my credit improved and I started getting other cards I added them to my paypal account and made the credit card the default. They insisted on taking the money out of my checking account (debit card) and flatly refused to fix their mistake. After a few go rounds with that mess I just closed it out. Maybe they've gotten better. It was very convenient when it worked though.

I was just looking for something simpler for buying over the forum. I don't buy very often so I don't have a lot of experience with what systems are available.

Thanks everyone,

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    My question is, does a better system exist?
    "Better" depends on your goals.

I choose to do bank money order). It keeps my bank routing codes more private, isn't tied to a transaction of any specific type/content, doesn't flirt with the anti-gun policies of the payment companies. Takes a trip to the bank on my end, and a few extra days for the mail to arrive, but it works.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Never had problems with Paypal myself. If I remember correctly you can't use a credit card in paypal unless the seller accepts credit cards. I remember once I was selling an old computer and the buyer wanted to use credit, I had to upgrade my paypal account and they were able to use there card.

-- Kirk.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    I use my banks' electronic banking rather extensivly. Many banks have a bill payer feature which create a bank-cut check and mail it from the bank, to individuals and companies w/o electronic billing.

I use that for most places that don't accept cc's.

Some time back, I had a problem with pay pal and my experience with their "customer service" was similar to Holdcard's. I quit using them -- albeit I know a number of folk who never had a problem.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Lead Moderator
    Hate to say it but paypal is probably the easiest , most accepted payment method.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Hate to say it but paypal is probably the easiest , most accepted payment method.
    Definitely the easiest and most widely accepted. But after how the treated me on several occasions I doubt I'll be going back to them any time soon.

When they hit my checking account it's a good thing I monitor it throughout the day because I would have been overdrawn. I caught it and was able to transfer into the account to avoid the NSF and corresponding charges.

The customer service was very smug and took a "tough darts" attitude. Had they made any attempt at all to rectify the problem I may have stayed with them.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

Administrator
    I've used Paypal since Year 1 & have not personally had any problems.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I've used Paypal since Year 1 & have not personally had any problems.
    Just out of curiosity do you use actual credit cards along with the debit? My problems never started until I added the additional methods of payment.

Holdcard

4th Man Ministries

As far as checking accounts go I switch to ING Checking, no fees $1000 overdraft credit with no fees to go into overdraft, just interest on the credit amount, all that an you get interest on the checking. Great thing is you never have to worry about NSF charges ever again. Would be a great option to use with paypal.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links