An interesting read others might enjoy...

This is a discussion on An interesting read others might enjoy... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Political Loathsomeness and The Enumerated Powers Act by Walter Williams -- Capitalism Magazine Excerpt limited to 250 words due to sites terms of use: Political ...

Thread: An interesting read others might enjoy...

An interesting read others might enjoy...

Political Loathsomeness and The Enumerated Powers Act by Walter Williams -- Capitalism Magazine

Excerpt limited to 250 words due to sites terms of use:

Political Loathsomeness and The Enumerated Powers Act
    by Walter Williams
    (April 9, 2008)

Do any of the prospective nominees of either party deserve respect from the American people? The answer partially depends on your knowledge, values and respect for the U.S Constitution.

When either Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton or John McCain take office, they are going to place their hand on the Bible and take the oath, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

It will be a phony affirmation, but what's worse is that the chief justice of the United States, who administers the oath, and the average American will believe the new president.

You say, "Hey, Williams, that's a pretty tall charge! Explain yourself." There's a measure introduced in every Congress since 1995, by Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz., called The Enumerated Powers Act that would require that all bills introduced in the U.S. Congress include a statement setting forth the specific constitutional authority under which the law is being enacted.

The Enumerated Powers Act currently has 44 co-sponsors in the House. In the Senate, it has never had a single co-sponsor, and that's a Senate that includes our three presidential aspirants. The question one might ask is why would Sens. Obama, Clinton and McCain have a distaste for, and fail to support, a measure binding them to what the Constitution actually permits?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

I always enjoy Walter Williams. Good read.
    Dave

How true...I wonder if I shall ever see in my lifetime this country and government back to what the Constitution appropriated. Or will we just start making amendments?

Quote Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
    I always enjoy Walter Williams. Good read.
    Dave
    He teaches at GMU (within driving distance for me). More than once I've thought about going back to school just so I could take one of his courses.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Thanks for posting!!

VIP Member
    He makes economics easy to understand. I bet he is a great teacher.

Here is a link to his archive:
    Townhall.com::Columnists::Columnist

& link to full article:
    Townhall.com::Political Loathsomeness::By Walter E. Williams
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links