Somewhat bad experience with an LEO last night.

This is a discussion on Somewhat bad experience with an LEO last night. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've always respected LEO's because I figure they have to deal with a lot of ignorance and their job requires a lot more patience than ...

Thread: Somewhat bad experience with an LEO last night.

Somewhat bad experience with an LEO last night.

I've always respected LEO's because I figure they have to deal with a lot of ignorance and their job requires a lot more patience than I believe I have. However, something happened last night that put me in a sour mood.

I had just left my sister's house after learning that my grandmother has lung cancer. No surprise there, she used to smoke 3 packs a day for about 40 years before quitting 3 years ago. Anyways, I was a little upset since I'm pretty close to her. As I'm driving away, I make a wrong turn on to a one way street. I immediately realized my mistake as I am very familiar with the area. As soon as I turned I pulled over quickly. As I was about to put my car in reverse to turn around, a police officer speeds up to the front of my car from across the road. He almost hit the front of my car, and also blocked the way I was going to use to correct the situation. He rolls down his window and shouts "Can't you read the sign? This is a one way street! Back it up!" I was so disgruntled I didn't know what to say.

As soon as he came, he'd left, and I was able to get going in the right direction. I hope he was just having a bad night, but it certainly didn't put him and others in uniform in a good light. This is the first negative interaction I've ever had from an officer. Granted what I was doing was illegal, but I don't think he had to shout and curse.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 23rd, 2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

2. Remove Ads

At least you didn't get a ticket, either.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    At least you didn't get a ticket, either.

-JT
    Take it with a grain of salt. It wasn't the most polite thing to do, but he could have done a lot worse. Probably a bad night.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I'll take a little profanity over a ticket any time.

I agree, I'm glad I didn't get a ticket, it was just so unexpected! And also un professional. It was like I just called his mom fat or something.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I'll take a little profanity over a ticket any time.
    Big +1 there

To the OP: Sorry you got hasted by a grumpy LEO (even moreso for that cop's wife!). Also sorry to hear about your grandmother; Mine's in the same position actually. It's harder on the family than anyone else.

Best of luck.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Sorry for the bad encounter.....I probably own a couple of "I'm sorry I blew my stack" to several people during my career. I guess it did make other LEO look bad to the same person. So please take a "I'm sorry " from me; cause I'll probably never cross the paths of the ones that I actually owe it to.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sounds to me like you 'skated' through this one...

Think about it, what have you called someone driving the wrong way on a one-way street?My words would probably be under my breath, but never-the-less, I'm sure that some colorful adjectives would be used...

For the cop to come and go in a flash...with no ticket...??????

If I were you, I go buy a lottery ticket tonight...

On a softer note, sorry to hear about your grandmother.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Guy in a bad mood, at the end of his shift... sees some 'idiot' turn wrong into a 1 way...

It's understandable, but very unprofessional.

You've got two choices... (A) ignore it, or (B) try to find out who the guy was and lodge a complaint.

I'd highly recommend (A). Chances are excellent that this guy is a pretty good cop (after all, most of them are!), who was having a bad day. No reason to screw up his record in retaliation for him saying something inappropriate.

Sorry about your Grandmother. Her problem seems much more important than a run in with an impolite police officer.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

The wife and I had a similar experience in a small Nevada town several years ago as we were passing through. Although we shrugged it off, it changed our plans about spending the night and we took our money to the next town on down the road. We didn't spend a lot of time worrying over it but even now the thought of that town leaves a sour taste.

I wonder how his night was going. Possibly a lot worse than most understand.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    That has to be just about one of the most used words in the English Language these days.
    If you listen to two young people heatedly arguing back & forth you'll hear the "F" word used 75 times in 5 minutes.

I do agree that was very unprofessional of him.
    Glad that it all worked out for the best though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    It was inappropriate and unprofessional.
    There was no reason to use the "F" word.

Our Sheriff is very supportive of what we do. One thing he will not allow or stand for is profane language. As a result of that, we never get any complaints about it.

One thing I dont understand though...
    if you have a bad experience with an LEO, why does it put others in a bad light?

I have had bad experiences with other LEO's, that dosent mean that I expect them all to be jerks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Something I have learned in life;in any profession,and I do mean any profession,you will find the good,the bad and the ugly.Maybe this cop just had a bad day.If I were a cop I would probably be fired for calling people stupid,and worse.Sorry about the ill relative.

Links