( true humor ) DOW Rattlesnake , and farmer

This is a discussion on ( true humor ) DOW Rattlesnake , and farmer within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok as some know my operation is pretty much spread over half a county. Passing thro the next town over the other day i see ...

Thread: ( true humor ) DOW Rattlesnake , and farmer

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

( true humor ) DOW Rattlesnake , and farmer

Ok as some know my operation is pretty much spread over half a county. Passing thro the next town over the other day i see a fella i need to visit with parked outside the coffee shop and stop to catch him ( its about 6 am and my best bet all day ). So i walk in and the topic of discussion at the " liars table " ( that is the big one that the coffee club congregates at at any local mom and pop joint ) is the " run in " between a well known local farmer and the state devision of wildlife .

Now folks its spring in SE Colorado , and that means temps runing into the high 60s , thro the 70s . All the world is turning green or coming out to see the sun , including our no legged cousins . Well it seems said local had come to town about 11 am or so for parts at the local big a store , and when he left he backed out across a lane of traffic ( kinda a u turn in reverse from parked ) to go back out to his place . This is not as unsafe as it sounds since there is not a stoplight in the entire county because the volume of traffic does not warrant it in spite of hwy 287 going right thro lol . However he backed out in front of the local " possum cop " ( Dept of Wildlife ) who then began giving him the " stinkeye " . Well they both proceeded the roughly 5 blocks to get to the end of town .. Said farmer glanced to the left and saw a snake going across a gravel parking lot and pulled in , sure nuff it was a rattler , and it was just across the road from the baseball field where kids play . Well the farmer stepped out and grabbed the " universal snake stick " ( an irrigation shovel ) and was walking up to kill said sticker snake when the " creek dick " ( again D.O.W. , but with an investigative hat on lol ) pulls into the lot and parks just beyond the snake ( imho mistake 1 ) . The fine lad in charge of our wildlife questions said farmer what is his intent vis a vi snake and shovel . Said farmer politely informs dow that a short but sincere snake memorial service is about to be in order , pointing out the closeness to town , the base ball field , danger to kids , pets , ect.. Dow is not impressed and informs said farmer of the fact that there is now a season for rattlesnake in our fair state ( news to me , and i have not looked it up ) . Further more if said farmer kills , hurts , molests ect.. said venomous reptile he will be ticketed , then goes to lean on his pickup ( at no time did he get within 10 ft of the now coiled and confused snake ) Said farmer is well a unique sort of fella , the leaned on the shovel for a minute or two , and asked if DOW was serious , and was advised with a smirk that yep he would be charged if he harmed the snake . The old boy thought about it for a couple minutes more , shook his head and said all right i guess .. with that he scooped the snake up and in one motion pitched it in the back of the dow pickup where it was upset and headed under the cross box toolbox buzzing loudly . Said farmer then calmly put his shovel back in his pickup , said have fun , and drove off .

Now this was related by the young man that was in the pickup with said farmer at the time , and i dont know what dow did with the fresh captured snake , but i thought it worth a post as be careful what you do , had the farmer not backed out in front of dow he would not have had the confrontation , had dow not got skunkeyed no confrontation , however it worked out well imho ( well at least it did if dow drove the snake out in the country and then just left the tail gate down a bit while he fixed fence or counted quail or something . I have not heard any reports of holes in dow pickups as of yet so i presume the young lad did not shoot the snake out of the back of the pickup .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

I'd shoot it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    The only good snake is a dead one!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

A fitting end to a young DOW officer's obvious lack of experience...

Don't mess with old men, especially old farmers...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    A fitting end to a young DOW officer's obvious lack of experience...
    A fitting lesson for all of us imho . The farmer in question screwed up by doing an illegal reverse u turn ( just as he is accustomed to ) and the dow kid took the bait so to speak . Had the dow fella ignored the u turn and went on we would have a dead snake , now we have a live one and both have a lesson . The farmer will likely back out right now and drive around a block to go home , dow likely now will go around the block to stay away from anyone in a pickup that has a shovel out lol . Its just humorous to me that in this sense shows what you do has impact and will come back around . It is seldom you see " karma " so condensed as this tale , or so laffable lol .

Edited to add:

Apparently no snakes were harmed during this post lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

A few weeks ago during my handgun qualification for my CPL, between the instructor and I we shot 3 snakes. This was at his place, and we killed two gardner snakes and one great big blue racer.

Too bad the guys truck window wasn't down ida threw the snake in the cab then said now ya can't hurt him removing him and i'll be watching
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Rattlesnakes are bringing a pretty penny nowadays. A pretty average one would bring a $20 bill not long ago. However, the down side to that is that when the snakes are taken out of the wild in such large numbers, the rat and mouse population goes crazy and the inevitable result is some big problems.
    An agreement was reached between the buyers and several agencies to not buy a rattler under 18 inches so the natural control of rats and mice would help maintain a proper balance.
    Who would have ever believed it?
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

I'm in the pest control business and at least here in Oklahoma you only need a license to mess with Rattle snakes if your going to sell them. I hate bunny huggers that have more respect for a skunk or snake then kids. I always wanted to toss a skunk in their front door when they bitched about me killing skunks. As for snakes the only ones I kill are the poisonous ones where they shouldn't be. When I was in the military and someone would call about a snake, they almost always were not poisonous. I'd just catch them take them home and turn them loose in my barn. Put them to work for me controlling rodents in my barn. A few of months ago a couple of police officers decided to shoot a snake in a tree with their handguns. They ended up hitting a small boy fishing with his grandfather. A very stupid mistake. At the most they could have used a shot gun but ended up shooting their handguns in the air. Hit the child twice. Aside for the stupidity of shooting a hand gun in the air to get a snake out of a tree, the police shouldn't have been messing with it anyway. Either call animal control or a pest control company. I keep snake tongs in all my vehicles so I don't have to handle poisonous snakes bare handed.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

VIP Member
    Thanks for a good laugh, the look on the 'possum cops face would be priceless. Having been bitten by a copperhead any time I see one it is taken care of immediately, the non-poisonous ones are left alone or moved to a better habitat.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar

That was great! Poetic justice at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post

I keep snake tongs in all my vehicles so I don't have to handle poisonous snakes bare handed.
    Well now, that seems prudent!

88m
    the fact that there is now a season for rattlesnake in our fair state
    News to me as well.
    over on this side of the mountains they are KOS -kill on sight -.
    I think the DOW was full of it. looked it up and I can not find a thing about a rattlesnake season.

Hunting Home - Colorado Division of Wildlife
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.” Jeff Cooper

Found this:
    PRAIRIE RATTLESNAKE
    June 15-Aug. 15
    Areas: Statewide
    Daily bag limit: 3
    Possession limit: 6
    in this publication. Also found this in another area of their web site:
    Only two poisonous snakes live in Colorado—the western rattlesnake and the massasauga (that’s pronounced maw-saw-gwa). [Note: As of 2007, the prairie rattlesnake—formerly classified as a sub-species of the western rattlesnake—is considered a separate species.]
    So, looks to me that if the snake in question was a prairie rattlesnake, there is a season but if it was a western rattlesnake, there isn't. Now, if you want to get close enough to tell the difference, more power to ya. Me, I'm going to shoot first and ask questions later.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links