I need help with OHIO!!!!

I need help with OHIO!!!!

This is a discussion on I need help with OHIO!!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is my situation: I placed my resume with a head hunter last night at 2015, at 2030 I get a phone call. I have ...

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

Exclamation I need help with OHIO!!!!

Here is my situation:

I placed my resume with a head hunter last night at 2015, at 2030 I get a phone call. I have NEVER had a response so quickly to my resume. The man has an excellent position with a power plant in OH and he thinks he can get me in. My resume is with HR today and I should have an answer on an interview tomorrow night. I WILL FLY OUT THURSDAY!! and interview Friday. Start date 5/30. This job has a starting salary about $15k more than I make now with $30k in about 2 years. I will have to decide at the interview if I want the job...

Here is where I need HELP!

I have read OH CCW laws and they are confusing, can one of you that live there break it down a little for me?

What do you know about the Perry, OH area?

How limited are 2A rights in OH?

PLEASE HELP!!!! This job is the opportunity I've been waiting for (although I never considered OH as a location).

Thank you
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I will have to decide at the interview if I want the job...

You've seen this right?

gunlaws.com - Ohio Gun Law Links

This is probably the most useful re: CC

Marc Dann Ohio Attorney General - Concealed Carry

Check out Handgunlaw.us Is he asking for an upfront fee for the intervew?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Been to handgunlaw.us and did the reading. The red flag you wave is over the interview?? I understand your caution but I am a late comer in a long hiring process, I will be lucky if they decide to fly me out for the interview. I must start on that date as that is when they start the senior reactor operators training course. Jumping through hoops for this postion is the difference between $70k and over $100k annually...I'll deal with that part.

Headhunter fees are paid by the hiring company.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Been to handgunlaw.us and did the reading. The red flag you wave is over the interview?? I understand your caution but I am a late comer in a long hiring process, I will be lucky if they decide to fly me out for the interview. I must start on that date as that is when they start the senior reactor operators training course. Jumping through hoops for this postion is the difference between $70k and over $100k annually...I'll deal with that part.
    Yes, red flags over a professional level job requiring an immediate decision.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

The AG's site which I linked to has a plethora of information, like this FAQ: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...bs/ccw_faq.pdf

I'd spend some quality time there if I were you. Just my $.02.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    What do you know about the Perry, OH area?
    The Perry reactor has sometimes been problematic and could use good quality, level headed individuals. I assume anyone concerned with CCW meets that criteria.

I don't know what part of Virginia you are from (rural, urban, etc.). Perry is located on Lake Erie. Lots of recreation available nearby. Mentor Headlands and Geneva on the Lake for swimming and nice family areas. I grew up in Geneva. You are also close to Cleveland which has a rich heritage. Wonderful ethnic neighboorhoods, incredible cultural amenities and great shopping. The Cleveland Orchestra, Art museum and Natural History museum are hard to beat. I now live in Canton, OH but travel to Cleveland frequently.

Good luck on your new opportunity. I am acutally considering Richmond, VA only because I have grandchildren there.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Spent time there, I read the words but right now they are not making sense...the part over a gun in the car seems REALLY wordy. Thanks for the concern about the process, in this field it's jump when you can (unfortunately) since I have worked with Naval Nuclear Propulsion my whole adult life, a chance in the power industry (where the money is) is HUGE!

We currently have legislation in the State House which may ease some of the confusion - we just have to wait n see...

basically on person in holster, or in a container with lid and some type of closure (zipper, snap, Velcro etc...) or in a locked glove box...

if you are stopped for any law enforcement purpose in Ohio - must notify immediately...

good luck with the interview - I am still looking for work...

Thank you Howard...that is what I am looking for.

Mr. D also the kind of info I'm looking for...sounds like as long as it's on my body I'm OK...

Administrator
    I'm an Ohio LEO, I answer any specific questions you have.

North Perry and Lake county in general is a nice area, lots of neat things to see and do and plenty of nice areas to live.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for all the help guys, the interview fell through...management doesn't want to spend the money right now to interview me in fear I may not take the job on short notice...just have to keep trying.

If the job is that great of an offer (which I hope it is), why would you be so concerned with CCW laws. Seems making a living would take precedence.

No matter the job I would not give up my rights for more money...I live pretty good now, this was just better.

I forgot to mention my signature...this is a statement I truly live by and believe with all my heart. I feel I would be a hypocrite if I excluded myself and my jobs from this philosophy.
    Last edited by Free American; April 23rd, 2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: As a matter of fact

For that kind of $$$, I'd be covering my own expenses to get to that interview!

Ohio's gun laws are not as restrictive as what out of staters would like to think they are. As a leader of Ohio's foremost gun rights organization, I can tell you, we are in the Statehouse constantly trying to improve our laws. We've come a long way baby! I certainly would not let our gun laws stop you from taking a job in Ohio. They aren't that bad. It could be worse.....the interview could be in IL or WI, or NY or CA!

The Lake Erie area is wonderful!!! Just don't move to the city limits of Cleveland if you value your gun rights.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

No matter the job I would not give up my rights for more money...I live pretty good now, this was just better.

I forgot to mention my signature...this is a statement I truly live by and believe with all my heart. I feel I would be a hypocrite if I excluded myself and my jobs from this philosophy.
    Well, I don't think you are giving up your rights, Ohio isn't a communist state, it is after all, America.

Just seemed to me that you made 2 statements:

1. I have been offered a dream job, with great pay.

2. I'm not sure I want the job because maybe Ohio may not meet my specific gun law needs. Just seemed kind of funny to me.

Again, I hope the job works out for you, Ohio seems to meet most of my needs for gun laws, not all of them, but most of them.

Links