Tips for Saving on Gas cost

This is a discussion on Tips for Saving on Gas cost within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I dont know the accuracy of this, but I do personally know the person that is very close to the person who originally emailed this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

I dont know the accuracy of this, but I do personally know the person that is very close to the person who originally emailed this to friends.

Some of it makes sense I guess, definitely the boycott part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Gasoline Tips How to save money at the gas station
    Subject: Gasoline Tips

I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but here in
    California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of
    work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get
    more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver
    about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is
    diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
    We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground
    temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their
    storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the
    gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon
    or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum
    business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel
    and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the
    service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast
    mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low,
    middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby
    minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at
    the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some
    other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being
    sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less
    worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL
    or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank
    the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you
    can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This
    roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it
    minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every
    truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is
    actually the exact amount.

Another reminder is if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage
    tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is
    being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW. READ
    ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might
    even be good for us! The Saudis are boycotting American goods. We should
    return the favor.

An interesting thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the
    coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their
    oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the
    tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family,
    and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are
    the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern
    oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
    Shell...........................205,742,000 barrels
    Chevron/Texaco.........144,332,000 barrel s
    Exxon /Mobil...............130,082,000 barrels
    Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
    Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo imports gas from South America, from a Dictator, Hugo Chavez, who hates Americans. If you
    do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is
    now $90 - $100 a barrel

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco..................0 barrels
    Conoco..................0 barrels
    Sinclair.................0 barrels
    B P/Phillips............0 barrels
    Hes s.......................0 barrels
    ARC0....................0 barrels

The filling up when it's cold is a good tip.

Boycotting specific gas would be impossible as refineries are rather regionally based. All of your local chains likely get their gas from the same refinery. The only difference is additives that the respective chains add to it.

True tip to save gas. Get rid of the SUV and get a motorcycle.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Well, the way I read it is it would help to boycott certain gas stations. If you boycott the ones whose company headquarters purchases petroleum from terrorist/undesireable countries, that in effect will hurt that company as a whole. Hurt them bad enough and their particular supply of petroleum would no longer be mixed with the petroleum from the more desireable suppliers.

"Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we grumbled about it. It might even be good for us!"

I was around during that time... gas lines going around the block, fist fights at the pumps, OUT OF GAS signs at the stations, driving all over town to find a station with gas. No way do I want that again.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Well, the way I read it is it would help to boycott certain gas stations. If you boycott the ones whose company headquarters purchases petroleum from terrorist/undesireable countries, that in effect will hurt that company as a whole. Hurt them bad enough and their particular supply of petroleum would no longer be mixed with the petroleum from the more desireable suppliers.
    Except it's franchise owned and the big oil companies are like 2 middlemen away from the end gas station. You likely couldn't make the big oil companies feel it at all.

It's a catch 22. Americans think that gas should be cheap but they drive around in huge vehicles that get horrible mileage by themselves. They also drive a lot. Now, granted, you have to drive a good amount in America because it's so spread out, but that's not what I'm talking about.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

You may be right Sammy, but I just dont believe that America's love for bigger cars and SUV's are the cause of these rediculous gas prices. There are tons of things Americans do in excess (in relation to other countries) that havent realized this kind of butt-raping price increase.

Our SUV's of today are bigger and heavier, but they are just as efficient, mostly more so, than cars were 30 years ago.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Our SUV's of today are bigger and heavier, but they are just as efficient, mostly more so, than cars were 30 years ago.
    That is very true, I HAVE to drive a pickup for my trade, but compared to the trucks I used to own,my newest one sips gas.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ??? The ground temperature more than four feet deep is pretty much constant. I would love to see someone fill a gas can and check the temperature in the morning and in the heat of the day. I would wager that the temperature is constant.

The tips as a whole, though, while probably beneficial to follow, probably won't result in major savings (see Urban Legends Reference Pages: Tips on Pumping Gas), compared with driving five miles per hour slower, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I agree, but look at the demand of fuel compared to 30 years ago. Now households have 2-3 vehicles and not 1.

Distinguished Member
    Ok-here's my take on the gas situation. Crude oil, no-lead, and heating oil are traded on the CBOT (Chicago board of trade) It is the only commodity that I can think of that the Government controls example--- who can drill and where, and who can refine. They want to call it free trade, but only allow a very few limited players

2) Government got rid of many, many competitors about 10 years age through EPA rules, so now we have a very few, extremely large corporations that control most of the product. The Gvmt has also allowed far to many mergers that also did away with competition.

3) With less companies to do business with, they can run things the way they want, you want a great example ok---Before the Govt forced them out, almost all companies would notify the retailers by the mid afternoon (3:30) what the new prices were going to, they would give you til midnight before the price change became effective. This would allow a retailer time and opportunity to lay in 3 transport loads of fuel easily before the prices changed. Now days some companies change prices at noon with very little notice, the majors notify you about 3:30-4:00 and make the changes effective a 6:00 at the latest. This only allows time to pull 1 load. So as a retailer you can not stock up ample inventory before the price change, so it has to be passed on to the consumer sooner.

4) Large amounts of money flow into the CBOT, and they can manipulate the prices. Best would be if petroleum was off the CBOT, but that wont happen, 2nd best would be only the people directly involved in the business trade it so it would be closer to a supply and demand situation, not a speculation situation that it currently is.

I could go on, but the more I think about it the madder I get

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    ??? The ground temperature more than four feet deep is pretty much constant. I would love to see someone fill a gas can and check the temperature in the morning and in the heat of the day. I would wager that the temperature is constant.

The tips as a whole, though, while probably beneficial to follow, probably won't result in major savings (see Urban Legends Reference Pages: Tips on Pumping Gas), compared with driving five miles per hour slower, for example.
    I definitely am not defending this email I posted. I dont know its accuracy at all. Just the part about boycotting certaincompanies struck a cord with me, kind of like boycotting businesses that have anti-gun/anti-carry policies.

I know there arent enough people who would actually get "on board" though, not enough to make any difference.

Distinguished Member

Most of that has some BS smell to it. The easiest and best thing you can do is to inflate your tires to the psi rating on the sidewalls, most new car and P series pick-up tires can be filled to 44psi.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Filling up at the slurp and go the other day, an old farmer was in line behind me. Surprised at the dollar amount he asked if it filled up the tank, "No, didn't," I said.

His response, "America's got oil, don't want to drill it. Got coal don't want to burn it."

As far as SleepingZ says about speculation, I agree. Castle's in the Air are what changes the price. The thought of drilling in Alaska may drop the price of a barrel, may drop it a lot.

Beat me to it. I doubt there is more than a couple degree difference from high to low temp. There is also heat conductivity rates through the earth to consider. If you heat the surface now, it can take hours for the heat to travel to the "other side." Like a solar trombe wall. That means that first thing in the am is not even the time that the fuel is coolest. Not that it matters much, as gas only expands something like .0007X per degree F. That leaves you saving something pretty insignificant if you can get the gas even 10 degrees cooler. It's a big deal when you buy 10,000 gallons at a time, not 10.

For reference, the widely accepted coefficient of. expansion for gasoline is 0.00069/F and for diesel is 0.00050/F
    (found on some .gov weights and measures page)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The tempurature of the fuel in the underground tanks changes very, very little during the day, but does change a bit between winter and summer. So only buy fuel in the winter.

Pump only at the highest speed. The meters on the pumps are designed and tested to be accurate at any flow rate, but if you pump too slowly, they may raise the price once or twice during your fill up.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links