Almost got arrested today.

This is a discussion on Almost got arrested today. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have two recurring nightmares: 1. Getting arrested for doing something really stupid like being the John in a sting operation or trying to sneak ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost got arrested today.

Distinguished Member

I have two recurring nightmares: 1. Getting arrested for doing something really stupid like being the John in a sting operation or trying to sneak a gun into Mexico (real stupid). 2. Getting arrested for something really stupid that was unintentional like forgetting to disarm before entering a Federal building or walking out of a store with an item you really did forget to pay for.

Today I almost got arrested for shoplifting. And, of course, we all know the scenario. Standing before the judge, "Your Honor, it was all a big misunderstanding." I was at Wally-World today. I cut my finger earlier in the day and it took a lot to get it to stop bleeding. While shopping my wound opened up again. So, going to the pharmacy aisle, I threw a bunch of tape, bandages, and alcohol into my hand basket I then went to McD's in the store and proceeded to bandage myself. I made quite a mess with the napkins and leftover band aid paper so I stuffed it in the McDonald bag. I then proceeded to the counter to pay. I announced to the cashier that I did not need all the items in the basket and put them next to the counter. As I was picking through the basket a man came up, politely introduced himself as a Wally World security man, and asked to see the contents of the basket. I obliged. He then asked me where the second roll of tape was. I told him there was no second roll of tape. He said there was. I said there wasn't. There wasn't. He then inspected the contents of the McDonald's bag. Cookie crumbs, napkins, some with blood, and band aid miscellaneous was all he found.

Caught in an awkward moment, he then told me I could be arrested for shoplifting because I opened contents before paying for them. At that point I asked for some type of identification. He refused. I asked a second time and he refused stating that he only had to say he was with Wally World Security and did not have to produce ID. He then asked the checker if that were true. She nodded yes. I think at that point he could have asked her if she had an adulterous relationship and she would have nodded yes. But, I digress. He then announced a second time, loud enough for the English speaking world to hear, that one phone call to the police and I would be arrested.

At this point a little yellow bird was flapping its wings furiously in my head shouting, "Warning! Warning! Minimum wage employee about to take your security clearance and your job." I shut my pie hole, paid for my goods and began to leave the store. Ah, but I just could not resist. I asked to speak to his supervisor for which he willingly agreed. As I began to explain my case he shows up. I ask him to leave. Not before he makes the supervisor tell me that he does not have to present ID as a store dick. She nods in agreement and then, as he turns to leave, he gives me this "I told you so!" look. That's the only time my religion almost went south. Oh, how I wanted to smack his full-figured face. I told the above story to her as well what would be the best option in the future were this to occur: a. bleed all over Wally World toiletries, counters and credit cards or patch myself up at McD's? To her credit, the supervisor apologized for his rudeness.

Lastly, let me say that I abhor theft. I also know the stats on shoplifting and how it deeply affects the corporate bottom line. That we all end up paying for it. I also readily admit I looked suspicious. McDonald bag in hand basket full of non McDonald trash. But, I believe I acted properly, no chest butting on my part though I did almost lose it with the smirk. I still can't understand how they can demand you do their bidding without any ID. Heck, cops have to show ID. I told the supervisor, how would it look for Joe Bag-O-Donuts to brace me in a back aisle, handcuff me, demand ID, and then walk off with my wallet. Incidentally, he finally did show me his ID: "Ray - Wal-Mart Employee". Boy, that was comforting. Not even a picture. Word to the wise: We never, ever, know when something innocuous and innocent will bite us. That weight-impaired adolescent could have cost me my job. No, that's not drama. That's fact. It took me an hour to calm my insides after that.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Yup. You never know how things will turn out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Store security guards can be the worst bullies.

When I was a teenager I was out Christmas shopping at the mall. Back then they had a Zayre's store connected to it. I was looking for presents for my brother's and sisters, and I saw a walkman, so I picked it up and was going to buy it. By the time I got near the registers, I had decided to wait and look around at a few other stores first before making a decision. I figured I'd come back and get it if I still wanted it, so I set it down on one of the displays and left the store and went to the toy store.

After about 5 minutes in the toy store, this guy comes up to me and grabs me by the arm and flashes a badge saying he's Zayre's security. He told me that he saw me steal the walkman. I told him that I left it in the store on my way out. Still holding my arm, he pulls me out of the toy store like a criminal and told me to show him. I led him right to it and with a grand flourish and a bow I pointed to the walkman I had left. Luckily it was still there. He mumbled something about putting stuff back in the right places and just walked away with no apology.

After that, every time I was in the store, I found him in the aisles pretending to be a shopper, and very loudly pointed him out that he was undercover security, and a really bad one at that. After a month of that, one day he wasn't there any more. I wonder why.

While the situation might have been inconvenient and perhaps a bit embarrassing, I'm not sure why you were worried about your job. Seems pretty clear cut. They had no evidence of you stealing anything. You either returned or purchased all the items you took.

Perhaps it might have looked differently if he found an unpaid for item among the trash or accosted you at McDonald's opening merchandise, but the fact this happened at the register with you paying for the goods suggest to me (I'm no lawyer!) that they had no grounds for any charges.

While I suspect you have to report any arrests based on your security situation and the matter would be reviewed, I highly doubt you are in serious jeopardy based on this situation.

YMMV.

-john

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    While the situation might have been inconvenient and perhaps a bit embarrassing, I'm not sure why you were worried about your job. Seems pretty clear cut. They had no evidence of you stealing anything. You either returned or purchased all the items you took.

Perhaps it might have looked differently if he found an unpaid for item among the trash or accosted you at McDonald's opening merchandise, but the fact this happened at the register with you paying for the goods suggest to me (I'm no lawyer!) that they had no grounds for any charges.

While I suspect you have to report any arrests based on your security situation and the matter would be reviewed, I highly doubt you are in serious jeopardy based on this situation.

YMMV.

-john
    What the wannabe proclaimed loudly was that by opening the item without paying for it, it was considered stealing by both Wally World and the police. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But if it is, that's the rub. Just my luck to get wannabe AND LEO in an unrighteous mood to arrest me on a technicality. Would that happen? Not likely. Could it happen? You bet your sweet clearance it could.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

In my best Cartman voice "RESPECT MY ATHORITA!"
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    What the wannabe proclaimed loudly was that by opening the item without paying for it, it was considered stealing by both Wally World and the police. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. But if it is, that's the rub. Just my luck to get wannabe AND LEO in an unrighteous mood to arrest me on a technicality. Would that happen? Not likely. Could it happen? You bet your sweet clearance it could.
    While I agree with your statement about what *could* happen, I think even on the long shot that you were arrested, any semi-sober lawyer would be able to point out that the fact you were in the process of paying for the items trumps any implied intent to steal by opening the packages. On top of that, the blood show extenuating circumstances in any case. On top of that good upstanding citizen as shown by extensive background check for security clearance.

And I haven't brushed up lately, but while I recall there is the need to _report_ *any* arrest, I'm pretty sure you need to be convicted in order to really foobar your security clearance.

In any case, glad it worked out OK in the end.

-john

until you walk out of the store with unpaid items it is not shoplifting ,that is why store security has to wait until you exit the store until they try to stop you.the guy acted way to fast and the manager knew it, i don't have a security clearance to worry about,and even then i would have said arrest me you can't afford the lawsuit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    In my best Cartman voice "RESPECT MY ATHORITA!"
    ATHORITOHN

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    until you walk out of the store with unpaid items it is not shoplifting ,that is why store security has to wait until you exit the store until they try to stop you.the guy acted way to fast and the manager knew it, i don't have a security clearance to worry about,and even then i would have said arrest me you can't afford the lawsuit
    Yeah, the Wally World Marine was outta line for sure, but he could have been arrested for shoplifting as the story was told; he used product without paying (I know the OP did pay, I speaking from the point of view of the guard). Typically, you do have to leave the store... also, I think Walmart could afford a lawsuit.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Maybe the WM folks here aren't as tense in this small town. There has been a few times I've been in WM and got a coke out of the cooler and/or a pack of cookies, ate them while I shopped, and put my "trash" in my shopping basket. When I checked out, I handed the empty stuff to the cashier and she scanned it as normal. I've seen mothers with whining kids do the same for them. I hadn't thought about it but I suppose it may technically be shoplifting, or either the shoplifting definition varies some from state to state?

BTW not too long ago I bought quite a supply of stuff and also had ten bags of wood chips (BBQ stuff) on the bottom rack of my basket. When I got to the check-out I handed the cashier one bag for her to scan and told her I had ten. She understood what I meant. I paid for my stuff, headed for the door and could see the "greeter" looking at the bottom of my cart. He asked to see my receipt which is pretty normal, but they kept looking at the receipt and looking at the wood chips. They pointed out that I had been charged for one, but actually had ten. I told them about how I checked out; the supervisor came over and asked me "why was only one bag charged when you had ten". I told her that's a better question for her cashier to answer. She and the cashier conferred for a few minutes, then the supevisor came over and apologized to me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...also, I think Walmart could afford a lawsuit.
    My point, exactly. So, I "win" the court case that I acted innocently. Lessee, Mr. Lawyer gets my ten grand. So I sue for damages: five years, and many,many court depositions later, I am still no further along and now have a second mortgage on my house. Meanwhile, Mr. Minimum Wage has long moved on to a successful career as a fast food assistant work shift supervisor.

If you pay for it before leaving, it isn't shoplifting. On the bright side, at least you got one of the brighter Wally security people, since you didn't mention that he drooled excessively nor did he scratch his privates or nod off during your encounter.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    Sounds as if the security guy screwed up. I find it hard to believe he stopped you for one (possible) roll of tape. Perhaps next time ask a store employee for some bandages and tape. they should be more than willing to help you out and first aid kits are readily available in most cases.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds as if the security guy screwed up. I find it hard to believe he stopped you for one (possible) roll of tape. Perhaps next time ask a store employee for some bandages and tape. they should be more than willing to help you out and first aid kits are readily available in most cases.
    Now that's a good call!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links