My Co-Worker Just debunked the Global Warming Theory

This is a discussion on My Co-Worker Just debunked the Global Warming Theory within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We saw on the news about now their saying its turning into an ice age, so we started this discussion. He said first off the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Co-Worker Just debunked the Global Warming Theory

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

We saw on the news about now their saying its turning into an ice age, so we started this discussion.

He said first off the Artic is not a land mass its just ICE sitting on top of H20.
    He said have you ever poured your self a glass of ice water and left it sitting on the coffee table come back and find all the ice melted? I said yes. He said was the glass over FLOWING with H20 no? Exactly even if the polar ice caps do melt SO FREAKING what. Ice displaces the water therefore even if it melts it stays at the same level, Oceans aren't going to rise. Etc..... AL GORE IS WRONG.

I said wow you should get a nobel peace prize for that theory!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Did you know that the Arctic Ice Shelf shown in AlGores movie that threw all the "Melting Ice Cap Huggers" into an environmental panic was fake and was actually a computer digitally enhanced and altered Styrofoam model?

I'll betcha you didn't know that.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    AL GORE IS WRONG.
    Yes he is. For a whole host of reasons both scientific and political.

But your "cow worker" doesn't know physics very well. Here is a good layman's explanation. Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    We saw on the news about now their saying its turning into an ice age, so we started this discussion.

He said first off the Artic is not a land mass its just ICE sitting on top of H20.
    He said have you ever poured your self a glass of ice water and left it sitting on the coffee table come back and find all the ice melted? I said yes. He said was the glass over FLOWING with H20 no? Exactly even if the polar ice caps do melt SO FREAKING what. Ice displaces the water therefore even if it melts it stays at the same level, Oceans aren't going to rise. Etc..... AL GORE IS WRONG.

I said wow you should get a nobel peace prize for that theory!
    There are a couple of problems with that theory.

First, the top of the ice cube in your analogy is level with the surface of the water. The polar ice cap isn't. It is very tall in some places. If your friends analogy was correct, we wouldn't see icebergs because they'd be submerged.

Second, Antarctica is a continent, with land under all of that ice.

Third, there are places like Greenland and mountain tops that are covered with ice and glaciers which would melt also.

Fourth, even the ice that is below the surface of the water will expand when it melts, creating more volume as a liquid than as a solid.

Now, I'm not saying that I believe in the popular assumptions of global warming, I'm just pointing out the holes in your buddy's theory. The earth went through warm and cold cycles long before humans came around. Sure, we could be adding to the problems, but we don't know that.

Is that what they are teaching at Hogwarts now?

+1 to everyone else.

Well considering that we had something in the vicinity of 3 feet of snow on Easter weekend, I am not too concerned with "global warming."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Well considering that we had something in the vicinity of 3 feet of snow on Easter weekend, I am not too concerned with "global warming."

Me either. I heard on the radio yesterday about some Global Warming protesters in Canada that had to be evacuated after their rally was hit by a blizzard.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    Me either. I heard on the radio yesterday about some Global Warming protesters in Canada that had to be evacuated after their rally was hit by a blizzard.
    God truly has a sense of humor.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post

Fourth, even the ice that is below the surface of the water will expand when it melts, creating more volume as a liquid than as a solid.

Water expands as it freezes.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Water expands as it freezes.

Actually water expands as it freezes and then when it warms bck up. Water shrink until around 34 degrees and then starts to expand as it freezes due to the ice crystals being formed. When it is melted it shrings back down but then as it is heated it expands until it reaches 212 degrees and then just vanishes. This is another one of those deals where we can argue all day and everyone is right and wrong at the same time. But in the end it doesn't matter becasue algore is going to save us and get another oscar doing it.

Your coworker is forgetting one key difference; Human beings do not drink salt water, which is what sea water is.

Along with that the polar ice caps are a combination of land masses (see Iceland for just one notable example) with frozen fresh water ice masses...large significant masses that when melted flow down into land based aquifers and into the salty sea water. That alone results in an increased displacement and there after reduction of available land mass at borders due to over flow. Iceland is already going through this right now.
    Further the ice floes that themselves are frozen ice that eons ago started out as sea water are now pure water. The result of that mixing of fresh water with salt water is two fold. First the fresh water dilutes the salinity of the sea water which in turn directly affects sea life. That is a problem that trickles down and up.
    Also fresh water is less dense than sea water for the same amount of volume because it's lacking salt. For example a 1 cubic meter square sampling of fresh water weighs less than same of ice sea water. Oppositely a chunk of sea water that say weighs ten pounds will take up more volume as measured than a same weight chunk of fresh water.

For proof of this in a simple experiment most anyone at home could do check this;

'Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level'
    Published: 15:17 EST, August 04, 2005

Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level
    When ice on land slides into the ocean, it displaces ocean water and causes sea level to rise. People believe that when this floating ice melts, water level doesn’t rise an additional amount because the freshwater ice displaces the same volume of water as it would contribute once it melts. Similarly, people also think that when ocean water freezes to form sea ice and then melts, the water is merely going through a change of state, so it won’t affect sea level. However, in a visit to NSIDC in May, Dr. Peter Noerdlinger, a professor at St. Mary’s University in Nova Scotia, Canada, suggested otherwise.
    In a paper titled "The Melting of Floating Ice will Raise the Ocean Level" submitted to Geophysical Journal International, Noerdlinger demonstrates that melt water from sea ice and floating ice shelves could add 2.6% more water to the ocean than the water displaced by the ice, or the equivalent of approximately 4 centimeters (1.57 inches) of sea-level rise.

The common misconception that floating ice won’t increase sea level when it melts occurs because the difference in density between fresh water and salt water is not taken into consideration. Archimedes’ Principle states that an object immersed in a fluid is buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. However, Noerdlinger notes that because freshwater is not as dense as saltwater, freshwater actually has greater volume than an equivalent weight of saltwater. Thus, when freshwater ice melts in the ocean, it contributes a greater volume of melt water than it originally displaced.

Figure 1: A freshwater ice cube floats in a beaker of concentrated saltwater. Note that the ice cube floats much higher in the saltwater than it would in a glass of freshwater because saltwater has a greater density.

Figure 2: When the freshwater ice melts, it raises the water level. Freshwater is not as dense as saltwater; so the floating ice cube displaced less volume than it contributed once it melted.

Noerdlinger's collaborator, Professor Kay R. Brower, of the New Mexico Institute of Technology, Socorro, validated the effect experimentally as seen in Figures 1 and 2.

Source: University of Colorado Boulder

Cited at - Melting of Floating Ice Will Raise Sea Level
    Your coworker has stated a non-science assumption that has been cited many times over by non science oriented or thinking persons in regard to global warming.
    Further proof of this in the physical is happening, has been reported, and can be very easily located with a look to again the fastly disappearing shores of Iceland (and Greenland too) which is merely the canary of our global mine; News: Iceland Melting

- Al Gore
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If the polar caps were to melt, we would indeed be in trouble. Much of that ice and snow is well above sea level. That part of Algore's story passes the smell test. Of course, the rest of his 'science' is total BS!

The planet's temperature has been rising and falling far longer than we have been driving SUV's, and it will continue to do so long after we are gone. CO2 has also varied in our atmosphere over time, without us contributing to it's rise as well.

The global temperature on Mars has been going up, at about the same rate as ours has... I suppose the Martians are driving SUV's too, huh.

Hey, I'd love to have some alternative to giving my hard earned dollars to the oil companies. The people who are saying that we must reverse civilization's progress by 200 years in order to save the planet are the same ones who prevent us from building on other technologies to replace the energy source! We could drastically cut our CO2 production through nuclear power right now! We have had the know how to build safe, efficient nuclear power plants for decades, but the 'save the planet' crowd won't let us!
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    We could drastically cut our CO2 production through nuclear power right now! We have had the know how to build safe, efficient nuclear power plants for decades, but the 'save the planet' crowd won't let us!
    People have an irrational fear of nuclear power. When they built Vermont Yankee, they made an offer to a neighboring town. They would pipe their cooling water to the town, and provide the entire town with free heat. Even though this water had always been segregated from any radiation, the town didn't want that "nuclear waste water" in their homes.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I refuse to lend any respect to the Nobel committee or any of their recent laureates after they gave a Peace Prize to [deleted]ing terrorist. That includes the junk science Al Gore bases his current 'career' around.

Guide to Nobel Prize
    That guy on the left, Yasir Arafat? He was the founder of the PLO (Palestinian Liberation Organization) and Black September. He's responsible for countless deaths and a lot of people suspect his groups were behind the 1983 Beirut Embassy Bombing and the Marine Barracks Massacre. No... I stopped listening to that group and their new inductees.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Al Gore is an idiot at best.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links