Motorcycle trip from Los Angeles

This is a discussion on Motorcycle trip from Los Angeles within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My daughter attends college in LA (near Glendale). I'm riding my Harley out to hear her concert the second week in May. She'd like to ...

Thread: Motorcycle trip from Los Angeles

Motorcycle trip from Los Angeles

My daughter attends college in LA (near Glendale). I'm riding my Harley out to hear her concert the second week in May. She'd like to take two or three days and see some California scenery on the bike. Paved roads only for this old guy! We'll probably do the hostel thing, so no campgrounds needed. Any advise on trips within a reasonable distance to the north? We've done the Highway 1 trip already.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

2. Remove Ads

Yosemite is always nice this time of year and the bike ride would be incredible. Tons of great places to stay in Oakhurst, CA about 1 hour outside of the yosemite valley. PM me and I would be happy to help anyway I can.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I recommend that you consider taking highway 49 from Fresno to Auburn. You can take I-5 from L.A. up over the grapevine (HORRIBLE pavement) and then split off on hwy 99 through Bakersfield to Fresno. The trip to Fresno takes about 3 hours.

From there take the Yosemite highway (49) up into the Sierra's. Winding roads and great views. In May the highway is gorgeous (not as nice as in the fall, but...) and the towns along the way have B&B's for tourists doing just this sort of thing.

Lots of gold rush history and museums and other places to go on the route. You can stop off at the capitol on the way home and yell at Arnie for the rest of us about the sorry mess we're in. Then cruise south on I-5 to highway 46 and go west to the coast at Paso Robles. Stop at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo for the night. Then continue on along highway 101 south to L.A and home.

A full trip, done right, should take about 5-7 days with lots of stops.

I lived in the desert north of LA (125 miles) for 16 years. I have a good drive for you. From Glendale, drive toward Santa Clarita on I-5. Get onto the ANTELOPE VALLEY freeway (also named the 14 freeway) to Lancaster. Keep going north thru Lancaster and about 10 miles outside of Lancaster, you will come to Rosamond. Its home to Willow Springs Raceway. Keep going another 10 miles and you will get into Mojave. In Mojave, stay on hwy 14, and you will get to the Ridgecrest area (where I lived). you will run into HWY.395 , and keep going north. Mt. Whitney is about 70 miles north of Ridgecrest in Lone Pine, CA. Keep going another 4 to 5 hours and you will reach the Lake Tahoe area and then Reno. Beautiful scenery.
    OR.... before you get to the Ridgecrest area. On the left you will see HWY 178 which will take you to Lake Isabella and follow it around the lake to beautiful Kernville and the Kern River (merle haggards' fav drowning hole) and take the canyon on thru to Bakersfield. Get to Bakersfield and stop and have lunch or dinner at Buck Owens' Crystal Palace (CMA showcase club of the year for 2 or 3 years running). About 100 yards from there, take HWY.99 north towards Fresno. When you see HWY 46 going west toward Wasco, take it. It'll go to I-5 and you can get back to L.A. or keep stay on 46 until you get to PasoRobles and the coast (Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo). Then hook south toward Santa Barbara. Another beautiful place.
    oh.....how do i miss it....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

What Arthur said above but when you get to Lake Isabella,. cross the lake and take the back road into the Sequoias and Yosimite
    "Brains before Bullets"

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. I appreciate the tips from folks who have been there!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links