Opinions from Motorcycle riders

This is a discussion on Opinions from Motorcycle riders within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With gas still climbing it is becoming very apparent that I am going to have to do something to cut my gas consumption or I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Opinions from Motorcycle riders

With gas still climbing it is becoming very apparent that I am going to have to do something to cut my gas consumption or I may be in danger of not being able to afford to drive to work.

I am considering getting a motorcycle and I would like opinions on the one that I am zeroing in on.

So far, my motorcycle of choice is the Suzuki GSX-R 600. In fact, here is a picture of exactly what I want:

So I love to hear opinions from any of you cycle guys and gals out there.
    Also, I have not ridden a a motorcycle since I was 18 (now 40) and have never in fact had a motorcycle endorsement on my DL. So what is the best way to go about learning everything and getting the endorsement?

Tell me anything and everything, I am a knowledge sponge, I'll soak up anything you have to offer.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!! Its a huge wealth of knowledge and practical skills. I forget what the exact numbers are, but the grads of the MSF course are way less likely to be killed or injured on a bike.

Also, I know the gixxrs are sexy machines, one is on my wish list too, but its no learners bike. Consider buying a used shadow or a sportster for at least your first season. They are much more forgiving, and used they are a dime a dozen.
    Last edited by SIXTO; April 26th, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    TAKE THE MSF COURSE!!! Its a huge wealth of knowledge and practical skills. I forget what the exact numbers are, but the grads of the MSF course are way less likely to be killed or injured on a bike.

Also, I know the gixxrs are sexy machines, one is one my wish list too, but its no learners bike. Consider buying a used shadow or a sportster for at least your first season. They are much more forgiving, and used they are a dime a dozen.
    +1

You definitely want to start with a smaller, slower bike. Crotch rockets are not the bikes to start with, and neither are big Harleys. Something 750cc or under would probably be appropriate. While I do know a guy that passed his test on a big Fatboy, it's really hard to do. Plus, when you first start, there's a decent chance you'll drop the bike at least once, and you don't want to do that with an expensive one.

Also, I know the gixxrs are sexy machines, one is one my wish list too, but its no learners bike. Consider buying a used shadow or a sportster for at least your first season. They are much more forgiving, and used they are a dime a dozen.
    Like Sixto said, take the course!!

I have had a buell, a Honda CBR and a GSX-R here is my advice you:
    Buy a small 500cc bike such as a gsxr500 or the buell blast. Now if you say 600 and 500 not much difference, WRONG!

The 500cc is fast enough to learn on that you won’t feel like you are on a moped, and more forgiving then the “reel” Crotch rockets, but they still have the sport bike look. Also they are very affordable used and once you are ready to move up to a bigger bike they are easily resold to another newbie.

Remember safety first, buy all the gear, take the course, and actually wear the gear!!
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

thats pretty...and sexy....hubby has a Harley and we love it...i dont know enough to give advice but that is a pretty bike

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Like Sixto said, take the course!!

I have had a buell, a Honda CBR and a GSX-R here is my advice you:
    Buy a small 500cc bike such as a gsxr500 or the buell blast. Now if you say 600 and 500 not much difference, WRONG!

The 500cc is fast enough to learn on that you won’t feel like you are on a moped, and more forgiving then the “reel” Crotch rockets, but they still have the sport bike look. Also they are very affordable used and once you are ready to move up to a bigger bike they are easily resold to another newbie.

Remember safety first, buy all the gear, take the course, and actually wear the gear!!

Also agreed. Another option would be a SV650. Still a sport bike, but a little tamer and forgiving. Its a very popular bike around here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    +1 on the MSF course. I started commuting on my 600RR instead of taking my truck. Makes the round trip cost $4 instead of $20. Bikes are a lot of fun, and a lot cheaper. Get a used starter bike to learn on. You will most likely drop it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I've been riding bikes for several decades...had dirt bikes, different kinds of Hondas, Triumphs, BSA's, then finally, my last bike was a Shadow 1100...had IT for 5+ years.
    Then we moved to FL...no bike for the first 4 years and then decided it was time to get back to two wheels.
    I decided to go big and comfortable...got a Harley Electra Glide...have had IT for 2.5 years...best bike of all.

I ride it year-round, take it to work 2-3 times per week...

Gotta love a Harley...

Stay armed...even on a Harley...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 26th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Don't listen to the wimps. Get the fast machine, you'll never regret it. It's all plastic and fiberglass so just replace the parts after you dump it. That first unintentional wheelie is worth it so long as you don't keep going. Remember push the bike away when you crash it. Just find a good parking lot to goof around in and go take the test. If you don't pass you will now know what they want and you can practice a bit before going to take the test again. Rinse repeat until you get your Motorcycle endorsement. Sorry couldn't resist a little goof. I know a couple guys who think like that though.

Or you can spend a little money and a couple days in the MSF course. Take the card to the DMV and get your endorsement that way. You'll also have a pretty good assessment of where your basic skills are if you are honest. They have loaner bikes at the courses in my area, so you can take the course before buying.

Pic of my sofa on wheels below.
    Attached Images
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    That first unintentional wheelie is worth it so long as you don't keep going.
    Just cover the rear brake, you'll be OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You could go the route of a scooter. Generally, they're much easier to use on a daily basis, as compared to a larger, full-sized motorcycle. Some are even heavier than their motorcycle counterparts, though it doesn't seem so. If not interested in a larger bike, these might be an option. ie, Honda Reflex, Suzuki Burgman 650, others.

Ditto on the Suzuki SV650. Popular, and for good reason. Or, the new V-Strom 650. Similarly light and powerful, for a smaller bike.

MSF course is worth every penny. It'll help keep you alive and well.

If hunting for a car, check out FuelEconomy.gov, a pretty good web site that allows you to find out the fuel efficiency and emissions situation about whatever model of car you're searching for. A great search tool, if looking for a fuel-efficient car. Consider a ~1994 Geo Metro XFi, sardine can though it is, or a ~1990 Honda Civic CRX HF, if you can find one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'll add what I don't think was mentioned (my apology if it has)...you can get significant insurance discounts if you take the MSF...pays for itself in less than a year in some cases. You can also get rebates on the course from various motorcycle clubs.

Rick

Also, I know the gixxrs are sexy machines, one is on my wish list too, but its no learners bike. Consider buying a used shadow or a sportster for at least your first season. They are much more forgiving, and used they are a dime a dozen.
    What Sixto said!

Also agreed. Another option would be a SV650. Still a sport bike, but a little tamer and forgiving. Its a very popular bike around here.
    The SV650 is nice, but it still has the aggressive seating angle of the other sportbikes. That's why I prefer the Yamaha FZ6 to the SV650. If the commute is rather short, then that's not a problem, but if you ever plan on doing any form of longer distance riding, then it becomes an issue. I've had 600 mile days on the FZ6, but I'm ready to get off my friends SV650 in about 30 minutes.

Imo, a 600cc sport bike is a little too powerful for a novice rider. However, you have the advantage of being older and not stupid about it, so it would probably work out.

My FZ6 gets 35-40mpg city and 50 on the highway if I can stay off the throttle. If you really want to save money, send me a PM and I'll give you all sorts of tips for riding through the winter. People will laugh, but you'll be dropping 30 bucks a month in gas, so it's worth it.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links