"Bluing" a rifle barrel at home

This is a discussion on "Bluing" a rifle barrel at home within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not long ago, I made the mistake of painting my Marlin Model 80E .22 Long rifle. I wish I hadnt, so tonight, I began the ...

Thread: "Bluing" a rifle barrel at home

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

"Bluing" a rifle barrel at home

Not long ago, I made the mistake of painting my Marlin Model 80E .22 Long rifle. I wish I hadnt, so tonight, I began the strip down. It is totally apart and all paint has been sanded off. Its back to bare finish.

The stock is not a problem. I know what I will do with it but I need some info and guidance on fiishing the barrel. Should I leave it polished? Its very near chrome slick now but it needs a bit more work. Should I blue it?

If it should be blued again, how do I do that? Is it an easy process? I have been told that bluing is a natural process of rusting ina way, but I have to be honest that I have absolutely no idea what the process of bluing is.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    True the original bluing was a rust process involving a steam box and rubbing down with steel wool and rerusting and more steel wool taking weeks to get the proper finish. Today’s methods are much quicker and easier, the traditional “hot blue” is best performed by a gunsmith since it requires special equipment and chemicals.

Many years ago I used Brownell’s Oxpho-Blue to blue two rifle barrels and the finish still looks as good as it did then. If you use Oxpho-Blue or any other cold blue product it is very important to de-grease the metal completely using acetone or other non-residue solvent and then immediately apply the blue exactly as directly by the label. Also once the barrel is de-greased never touch it with bare hands only use a clean cloth or cotton gloves since skin oil will transfer to the metal inhibiting a good blue.

The better the polish on the barrel, the better the finish will be. Good luck on your project.

Here is a good article on the process. New Page 1
    Last edited by msgt/ret; April 29th, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Additional information.

I found an old .22 rifle in a barn. It was covered with chicken poo and rust. After cleaning it up, I cold blued it. After more than 40 years of heavy use, it shows signs of needing a touch-up in the next 10 years or so.

Buy a good brand of cold blue, follow the directions, and you will be happy with the result.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Administrator
    Yep, you sure can cold blue your gun and do a dang nice job of it.

Go to Brownell's and read up on their various cold blue solutions and pick one. You can do the entire firearm with cold blue and it will hold up just fine with normal use.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cold Blue

+1 on following the directions. Prep work is everything. If you try to hurry or skip a step or rush, it will show. Take your time and be patient and it will come out just fine. Don't leave it bare polished metal, just asking for trouble.

44/40® CREME at Brownells

OXPHO-BLUE® CREME at Brownells

FORMULA 44/40® INSTANT GUN BLUE at Brownells

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Great advice so far! Am looking at the stuff from Brownells now. Thanks!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Plus one...don't simply leave it naked. A good guality blue product and follow the directons... you won't be sorry. Good Luck
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Links