? Guard Job ?

This is a discussion on ? Guard Job ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was thinking about getting my armed/unarmed security guard licence will that be a vaible job route or will I waste my time mony if ...

Thread: ? Guard Job ?

? Guard Job ?

I was thinking about getting my armed/unarmed security guard licence will that be a vaible job route or will I waste my time mony
    if so what other type of jobs are their?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    I was thinking about getting my armed/unarmed security guard licence will that be a vaible job route or will I waste my time mony
    Errrr...that is a bit of a broad question. There are a million different jobs out there in the working world. What is your background? What interests you? Any reasonable advice is going to require a little more information on your part. I don't know much about contract security in FL, but I do know it pays a bit more than the rest of the southeast US.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I am sorry getting slap happy
    I have no experince with that particler feild so I figured that might help get in or some expereince

I'll give you my $.02.

The average guard job is menial, boring, and thankless. You get no respect, and most of the time it will seem like everyone dislikes you.

Of course, that's because that's your job. When I talk to prospective guards who ask me this question, I sum it up like this:

Your primary function is to be the bad guy. The receptionist doesn't like telling people not to do XYZ while in the Lobby, or tell one of the V.P's of the company that he can't come in without I.D. since he forgot his RFID badge. That's what you're for.

What I don't tell them, is that they are also there to reduce insurance costs. Few companies want guards, most companies have to have them.

Now that I've made my self sound like a cynical jerk, I'll tell you that it's how I got started.

My first real job out of H.S. was in loss prevention for a major retailer. I started as the guy at the door in uniform, then I was promoted to store detective, then a new district version of a store detective where I had eight stores but I wasn't really a manager. The pay was low, the job was thankless, and there was always the risk of being killed by a freaked out shoplifter when you stopped them.

I started thinking with my other head and left that job to pursue a relationship. Stupid. It lasted a few months.

After almost eight years working in the automotive industry (and a couple odd technical jobs here and there), I got married,went back to school and got a job as a guard to help me pay my way through school with a low-responsibility job (or so I thought). I was promoted quickly and now I'm a salaried professional, providing contracted protective services and project management for a major corporation. I make time for school between projects, investigations and details.

I am that one in a million lottery winner. The exception, not the norm. The disclaimer at the bottom of the fat-loss promotional advertisement you just watched for twenty minutes at 2 am.

The normal experience in the industry involves a long time at the bottom before accelerating your way upward. Intelligent guards will usually work one to two years before promotion and then get stuck. The key to breaking through that glass ceiling is networking. Get to know everyone, get along with everyone, that guy who just started that you think is a complete doofus may know the regional manager, and he'll be an account manager considering you for promotion to supervisor before you realize it.

Of course, most of this is true of any industry. Good luck with whatever you pursue and feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by BENZIN View Post
    Get a good flashlight and apply to guard the 'Swamp'...

(only the Gator fans know the location...)

More serious note: One of my graduating seniors got an 'armed security' job from a company on Ocala...started out at $15/hr...that's great for around here.
    If you're really interested, PM me and I'll search out the details.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

thanks for the info on the subject

Links