Staying home alone

This is a discussion on Staying home alone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't know about you guys but I hate staying home alone. I happen to live in a wooded community semi-secluded. I swear that every ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying home alone

Staying home alone

I don't know about you guys but I hate staying home alone. I happen to live in a wooded community semi-secluded. I swear that every noise I hear gets me going, whether it is a creak or rattle. Does anyone feel this way? Must be all those friggin movies I watch. Damn even my wife can do it alone with just the kids.
    One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

Don't bother me none. That's the only time I get peace and quiet.

You live in a wooded community, but let me guess, you grew up in a more urban environment. Correct?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If I felt that way, I'd guess the firearm laying next to me on the couch would be the AR-15 instead of the 45. I love the peace and quiet--I really don't live as far out as I'd like to someday. We have lots of critters 'round here and my wife has referred to the place as Uncle Tom's Cabin and me as the 'swamp'. Every evening we hear the two habitant owls converse in the woods across the road. I am however getting tired of lost souls using the drive for a turn around spot. If you were traveling down the road past my house in the middle of the night with your hi-beams on headed south----------you'd want to turn around too I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Don't bother me none. That's the only time I get peace and quiet.

You live in a wooded community, but let me guess, you grew up in a more urban environment. Correct?

Yes sir. I used to live in the burbs in NY but now moved to PA. Being a law enforcement officer and all, you would think little things like the dark wouldn't bother me. Gotta stop watching those Ghost movies.

I've never had a problem with it. If rattled a bit by your own home's quietness, you'd really get rattled at a little cabin you rent for a week, up in the wilds. XC skiing and coming across one of those skier's huts is a great sight to behold. Of course, momma didn't say anything about how creepy it can be with all the strange noises, lack of insulation, big "fireplace" made out of 55gal drums welded together.

If concerned, you can install a few of those X10 surveillance devices around the house, outside. With the wireless setup, it's fairly painless. You can even hook it up to motion-sensing recording. After viewing a few dozen hours of a whole lotta nuthin', you'll probably start to get more comfortable. And, when the S does HTF, you'll have it on video. A great keepsake/memento, for the police.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Man, I wish I could be out alone...
    How peaceful!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Never bothered me any, many times I wish I was in such an enviroment, but currently that is not possible.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yeah, I don't like it either. Gets my imagination going just the same way as it did when I was a kid. Dumb? Probably - but it's how it is.

Personally, I take reasonable precautions and then try not to focus on it too much. Not ignoring security - but you can make a hobby out of it and psych yourself out. Not worth it in my opinion.

Administrator
    My Wife and me get along super but, I need my yearly dose of complete and total isolation away from any thing and every-body that walks on two legs.

I've missed it for two years now but, this fall I'm absolutely headed out for parts unknown with no sound of human voices.

What's even funnier is that my dad is the same way. He is retired from the job as well, come hunting season neither one of us would go up to the cabin alone. LOL

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    My parents live in the woods in the middle of nowhere, WA. There are a few meth labs in the area, and they have been broken into twice. Once a generator was stolen, the other time, propane. I'd feel uncomfortable if I wasn't armed. I feel pretty safe with a gun or two around though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Administrator
    I look forward to an empty house, although I'll admit its strange when you're used to a full house.

Get yourself a good teddy bear, you'll be OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I look forward to an empty house.
    Same here. Or at least one where they're all sleeping. Which is why I'm here now.

I'm with the OP. I lived in the suburbs of NY for the last 6 years and just moved back to Vermont. But in my defense, some strange stuff went on here, and there have been a lot of robberies in this small white bred mountain town. One of the victims was my brother who lives 4 houses down the road.

But being home alone doesn't bother me, I only get jumpy when my family is home and I'm in "protection mode." Then I check out every little sound.

I'd be scared if I lived in the woods in PA. too,they never caught that guy that would wait til men were home alone and then when they least expected it.....ring the doorbell and run away
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When we used to live out in the 'boonies'...no sounds but the birds...one could hear anything coming down the dirt road...felt much safer than in town...
    I miss those days...the wife would never live 'back in' now...

Stay armed...enjoy the quiet...get a good dog...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links