Teacher forgets loaded gun on hood

This is a discussion on Teacher forgets loaded gun on hood within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Charlotte Observer | 04/30/2008 | Teacher forgets loaded gun on hood A teacher at Myrtle Beach High School was suspended with pay after accidentally bringing ...

Thread: Teacher forgets loaded gun on hood

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Charlotte Observer | 04/30/2008 | Teacher forgets loaded gun on hood

A teacher at Myrtle Beach High School was suspended with pay after accidentally bringing a loaded gun to the school Tuesday morning, according to Horry County Schools spokeswoman Teal Britton.

The teacher drove her husband's pickup truck to work Tuesday because of some issue with her own car, she told authorities. Her husband reminded her to remove the weapon from the car before going to work, Britton said.

``She did remove it, place it on the hood of the car and somewhere in the hurry scurry of loading the car, she forgot that it was there and drove to school,'' Britton said.

A visitor to the school saw the gun in its holster on the passenger's side of the hood just after 11 a.m. Tuesday and reported it to school authorities, Britton said. School security then searched the parking lot, found the car and the gun in its holster and on the hood of the car. Police then searched the teacher's car and personal affects, Britton said.

``She was placed on administrative leave with pay, which is standard for any investigation that involves serious allegations,'' Britton said.

The school district does not release the names of employees involved in disciplinary actions, Britton said. She said the school district did file a police report with the Myrtle Beach Police Department. Police officials said the report was not available as of Wednesday morning and no official charges had been filed.

Myrtle Beach High principal Nona Kerr held a staff meeting to tell faculty what had happened Tuesday afternoon, and Britton said she sent an automated phone message to parents to tell them about the incident Tuesday evening.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Drove all the way to school with a holstered gun on the hood and

a) Didn't notice it.....and
    b) It didn't fall off.

Why do I doubt that story?

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    A visitor to the school saw the gun in its holster on the passenger's side of the hood just after 11 a.m. Tuesday and reported it to school authorities, Britton said. ``
    Is this some kind of magnetic holster, and how did she drive all the way to school without seeing the gun on the hood of the truck?
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Man... I must drive like an elderly man on his way to church on sunday morning compared to you guys.

Leather has very good grip on smooth surfaces (like painted metal). Short of cornering over 25 mph or so, I can't imagine a heavy gun in a leather holster flying off a car. Perhaps at freeway speeds. Of course that's an assumption on my part - that the gun was holstered in leather.

...how did she drive all the way to school without seeing the gun on the hood of the truck?
    I'd say autopilot. 9/10 drivers use it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I can see it happening. Normal commuting speeds on secondary roads only. What is more amazing is that some disgruntled (many of them) student didn't take it. But although it merits some looking at, I don't think they should close embassies around the world because of it, but they will probably be looking to, because everything nowadays has to be reacted to like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. So there must be many meetings now at the school and written plans in place specifically addressing the very common problem of a gun on a hood while someone drives to school etc etc and a twenty point plan to deal with all the cars that will now have guns on their hoods in parkiing lots worldwide etc You get the idea of how we are nowadays.
    I just posted elsewhere where a fifth grader brought in a hollowed out hand grenade shell to show and tell at school, clearly the kind of grenade for sale at any Army Navy surplus store for ten bucks, and the teacher evacuated the school and police and fire came and it was all over the news, about two blocks from me here, and I thought then that they were going to convene a special United Nations conference on it.
    Sledgehammer for swatting a fly. Where has common sense gone? Very far away.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Drove all the way to school with a holstered gun on the hood and

a) Didn't notice it.....and
    b) It didn't fall off.

Why do I doubt that story?
    She's teaching the next generation of and this is the problem in the U.S.

Distinguished Member
    Thinking of my truck and my teacher wife, I can believe it. She has a ton of stuff to transport to and from the classroom everyday. Add that she is dealing with a vehicle she doesn't drive regularly. She put the black gun in a black holster on the top of the hood where the windshield meets the hood. The black plastic where the wipers hide under the top edge of the hood. While unlikely, I can see where the distractions would cause her to not see it.

Real life is stranger than fiction.

My wife would have my hide if I left a gun in the truck and "reminded her to remove the weapon from the car before going to work."

BLOND cautoin

:***:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I can see how this could of happened,how many cars with coffee cups on the top have you seen driving down the road,at least til they make that first turn and centrifugal force takes over.Now she is in trouble for something that 20 years ago would of got her a warning to be more careful
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links