Parked Truck - Bought Car To Save Gas Money?

Parked Truck - Bought Car To Save Gas Money?

This is a discussion on Parked Truck - Bought Car To Save Gas Money? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not sure if this is a rant.....or I'm resigning to the fact this was an inevitability......... Not exactly sure if the math works, but we're ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parked Truck - Bought Car To Save Gas Money?

Lightbulb Parked Truck - Bought Car To Save Gas Money?

Not sure if this is a rant.....or I'm resigning to the fact this was an inevitability.........

Not exactly sure if the math works, but we're a 3 vehicle family again. I parked my '94 Z71 as my daily driver/errand runner and bought the wife a '04 Grand Am SE Sedan and NOW I drive the family Magic Bus - '00 Grnd Caravan Sport.

Gas is $3.69 (Reg Unl) as of yesterday.........

Truck (5.7L - 150K)- $35-45 per week just to drive to work (avg/11mpg city - 14 hwy)
    Van -(3.3L Flex - 123K) $45-60 every 2wks carpooling w/wife/getting kids/groceries - if she just drove it about $25 every wk (avg/16mpg city-22hwy)
    Car - (3.4l - 40K) ????? gotta be cheaper.....(rated 19-23mpg city/29-33hwy)

Avg Monthly fuel costs before car - $250-300+
    My hope - $175-225 or less......

Yea, got 3 vehicles to insure and repair.......but thanks to low interest rate....... the overall pmts are low.

The PLAN is use the car as much as possible for errands and short hwy trips, and the van for family outtings that stretch more than 1 day or over 100 miles, and since it's a FLEX fuel vehicle ($2.80 gal) to start filling up with that, for my commute to work
    (and yes.... I know ALL about the downfalls of E85....experienced pretty much ALL of them when we first bought the van 2 yrs ago- poorer mileage/pwr - filling $25% more often - replacing now plugged fuel system in tank - availability......oh the whole food for gas price increase affecting everybody's bottom line....etc...)

I didn't buy a "tin can" economy car because at 6'05"/300+ lbs.....I don't fit in many....and I let the wife chose this one all by herself. (she was due for a car to call her own again)... and thanks to the wonderfull enconomy & housing market....our house plans are on perminant hold at the moment....so...let's buy a car to save money!

AS FOR MY BABY......she sits and looks pretty until I need her......but at least she's paid for.....
    Last edited by cupsz71; May 2nd, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'm going to be doing the same pretty soon. I drive about 20-25k miles each year traveling for work, and my V8 Lincoln LS requires premium. I average about 17 mpg around town, and at BEST get 26 mpg on the highway - that means fill ups north of $60, nearly $70 in places like Miami and NY (18 gal tank is good for 400-450 miles on the highway, though). With the mileage I'm putting down, I'm going to buy a new Dodge just for the lifetime powertrain warranty. The Caliber R/T with manual transmission is under $20k sticker, before negotiations and promotions. It's got all the comfort stuff that I need for long hauls on the road, a bunch of space, and better overall mileage than my LS - and it runs on 87 octane.

It's also not too shabby looking.

We have a Mini-van that gets about 21 mpg, and I have a 3/4 ton 4wd truck that gets around 14mpg. We drive a nissan sentra 90% of the time. It gets 36mpg.

The truck never moves unless I'm hunting or hauling something.

The van only moves if one of us has the car at the time and the other needs to go somewhere.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Dang, I thought it was just me, I guess not! Guess I will be having to do something like that too, if gas doesn't go the other direction soon. I Hate This, and I do Love my Truck.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Jeep Cherokee, average 18 if i am lucky. When it's not snowing or icy up here in MI, I ride a motorcycle. 40mpg all day long, whether i'm floggin her or not. Insurance is 200/ yr too.

The things we do to keep the other-halfs happy

edit

Administrator
    Gas hasn't really hit me all that badly.. I drive less than ten miles back and forth to work, and most of the time I bring a work car home with me. SO, most of my non work related driving is at my discretion, but a pick up or another SUV are not in any future plans of mine.

On another note, when abbreviating a year it is done like this 1994= '94, 2004='04. Sorry, but it is a pet peeve I see every where and it drives me nuts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I drive a old 85 Mercedes Benz 300D gets about 30mpg +- depening on how i drive I only paid about 2400 with 230000 miles I now have 260000 in about 5 months

VIP Member
    My truck just died on Monday...first time in 40 years I have not owned a pickup truck.....replaced it with a Honda,just a matter of economics..I guess I'll get used to it,kinda like getting used to a root-canal...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On another note, when abbreviating a year it is done like this 1994= '94, 2004='04. Sorry, but it is a pet peeve I see every where and it drives me nuts.
    DOUGH!!

Fixed.
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

SInce I started this post I figure I'd better AT LEAST show people what I bought the wifey:

'04 Pontiac Grand Am SE
    3.4L/Loaded w/Sunroof - No Rear spoiler or goofy door side panels
    45000 miles
    Yokahama 255/60/16
    Deep Burgandy/Maroon Metallic

TODAY: Did the McGuires 3 stage deep wax/polish (By hand) / detailed interior/wheels/tires/trim - added nose bra - and shorter (sporty) rear radio antenna

15yrs of auto detailing experience comes in handy once in a while.......

When I get the "Magicbus"done......I'll post it too............ ....oh my truck IS my avatar
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS

I drive a '94 Jeep Cherokee. 4 cylinder, manual transmission, 2 wheel drive one at that. It gets about 23 MPG on the interstate. Not bad for one of these. But, I am considering parking it in favor of buying a '07 Kawasaki Ninja 250r at the moment. The local dealer still has a few '07s in stock that they really want to move. The one I looked at was prices a $2,900 brand new with e warranty. The Ninja 250 can get around 60 to 70 MPG on the highway.

I'm thinking about it pretty hard right now...the stimulus check is due in a week or two....for us, married with 5 kids, it will be about $2700. I bet I could talk him down to that on one of the '07s.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I bet you could talk him down too Mike. '08 is all new bike, they probably are really wanting to get rid of the '07's. The 250R is a great little bike too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yep--it's just the facts. The V8 stays local, and the 4 cyl does the commuting. 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4 quad stays home while the '01 KIA Spectra makes seven 120 mile round trips to work every two weeks. It would cost me about $30 a day to drive the truck, $10 or $12 with the 1.8 liter.

I agree I drive a Jeep grand cherokee bought it when gas was still in the low 2 bucks a gallon range it gets 17 city 20 highway,I will be looking for something that gets about 50% better mileage on my next purchase,the jeep is paid for so may keep it for hauling stuff and hunting but it's got 150,000 miles 43,000 I put on it in 2 1/2 years.I have really cut back on driving,being disabled and unable to work the farthest i usually drive is the gun range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links