Another reason not to expect the police to save you (Merged)

This is a discussion on Another reason not to expect the police to save you (Merged) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Slain student apparently dialed 911; help not sent By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press Writer Thu May 1, 11:50 PM ET A college student ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another reason not to expect the police to save you (Merged)

Police: Slain student apparently dialed 911; help not sent By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press Writer
    Thu May 1, 11:50 PM ET

A college student apparently called 911 from her cell phone shortly before she was killed but a dispatcher hung up, failed to call back and never sent police to investigate, authorities said Thursday.

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray said it was too early to know whether a better response could have prevented the April 2 slaying of Wisconsin-Madison student Brittany Zimmermann or helped police capture her killer.

Authorities refused to release the content of the phone call, but Wray said it should have been enough for the Dane County 911 Center to take it seriously.

"It would be accurate to state that there is evidence contained in the call, which should have resulted in a Madison police officer being dispatched," Wray said at a news conference. "The 911 center did not call back to the telephone number, Madison police were not notified and no officer was sent."

Zimmermann, 21, was found slain in her apartment in an apparently random crime. Police believe someone broke into her apartment before killing her. They have not identified a suspect but have ruled out her fiance, who found her body in the apartment they shared.

Dane County Public Safety Communications Director Joseph Norwick said the dispatcher who received the call from Zimmermann's cell phone inquired several times to determine whether an emergency existed. The dispatcher hung up after receiving no answer and then answered another 911 call that was waiting, he said.

The dispatcher failed to call the number back as required under the department's policy, Norwick said.

Norwick said he was investigating the incident and reviewing whether policies should be changed and employees should be disciplined. But he also said, "I don't think there's anything to apologize for at this time."
    I am sure that the police would never apologise for dropping the ball,which may of resulted in a homicide,but let's be realistic in this case the chances are she would of been dead by the time the dispatcher returned the call,this needs to be a wakeup call to the sheeple that the only way to stop a threat is with force and the police aren't gonna save you they will take reports do an investigation and maybe lock somebody up but you will be either traumatized or dead.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Call 911...the police are only minutes away...when seconds count. Another example of the government's fine example of 'dial-a-prayer'.

How terrified that young lady must have been...and her own pistol and a little training could have assisted her far more than 911.
    Someone should be fired for that...

Stay armed...dial 911 and check for one chambered...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Accountability---someone has to be responsible. I see an opportunity for private contractors/security consultants. It's plain to see our tax dollars aren't being put to good use. Time to wean the system off the bottle.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Her family could sue, and it could go up to the Supreme Court, but we know how they'd rule.

Very Sad
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

"It would be accurate to state that there is evidence contained in the call, which should have resulted in a Madison police officer being dispatched," Wray said at a news conference. "The 911 center did not call back to the telephone number, Madison police were not notified and no officer was sent."

Zimmermann, 21, was found slain in her apartment ...
    It would be accurate to state, also, that fey Wray's wry ramblings should rub many the wrong way.

Madison, Wisconsin. Though it's hard to know until the full transcript/timing of the call is produced, it might also be accurate to suggest that it's time to get a little more "badger" and a bit less "dairy," when a life's on the line.

I wonder if Madison's response times and number of officers per dollar spent have been on the rise or decline, the past decade. I can only assume it's roughly following national trends, but that's premature without the data.

One thing seems clear. It's another shining example of how you're truly on your own on the instant of a criminal attack. Time to break the "bottle" (as Ram Rod suggests) and wean people of the deadly misconception that it's someone else's responsibility to protect themselves. That naivete is getting people killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is why I always tell my wife to get the gun before calling 911. Sad she did not have a weapon available to her.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Norwick said he was investigating the incident and reviewing whether policies should be changed and employees should be disciplined. But he also said, "I don't think there's anything to apologize for at this time."

.........nothing to apologize for? wth.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; May 2nd, 2008 at 04:36 PM.

Unfortunately it will take many more sad stories and destroyed lives for people to really take notice. One of the painful consequences of a liberal media controlling the minds of so many. REACH your kids and teach them to protect themselves.

Raising kids is about so much more than soccer and dance recitals. Their lives may depend on it.
    Facts are negotiable, perceptions are not.

My alma mater....... and sadly, among the most astonishingly liberal universities and towns in the country.

Very sad.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    .........nothing to apologize for? wth.
    ...At this time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycramp
    Unfortunately it will take many more sad stories and destroyed lives for people to really take notice.
    You can lead a sheep to the light, But you can't make them see.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Her family could sue, and it could go up to the Supreme Court, but we know how they'd rule.
    Yep.

Been done, you are right. Not the first, won't be the last.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Thanks for the post..... I have just copied the content and sent it around to the ladies in my life. It was ironic that we just had a discussion about this very subject when my uber-liberal mother advised me to sell my guns, now that the new home we are buying has a security system built in. She also pointed out that a police substation is less than a quarter mile away.

And I advised her that the police were under no legal obligation to even show up, and I was only calling them after the fight was over. If my wife or kids manage to get to the phone first, so be it, but I am carrying the fight to the enemy with sufficient violence to end it quickly.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Call 911...the police are only minutes away...when seconds count. Another example of the government's fine example of 'dial-a-prayer'.

Your so right.

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    If my wife or kids manage to get to the phone first, so be it, but I am carrying the fight to the enemy with sufficient violence to end it quickly.
    AMEN! My thoughts exactly.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links