Another reason not to expect ANYONE ELSE to save you

This is a discussion on Another reason not to expect ANYONE ELSE to save you within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We're living in sad sad times Majority Of People In 'Missing Child' Experiment Don't Notice, Help Girl - Problem Solvers News Story - WKMG Orlando ...

Thread: Another reason not to expect ANYONE ELSE to save you

Another reason not to expect ANYONE ELSE to save you

We're living in sad sad times

Majority Of People In 'Missing Child' Experiment Don't Notice, Help Girl - Problem Solvers News Story - WKMG Orlando

POSTED: 12:01 am EDT May 2, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:29 pm EDT May 2, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An experiment to raise awareness about the plight of missing children found that a majority of people did not notice or stop to help a little girl after seeing her face on a missing person poster a few feet away.

Local 6 printed missing posters of Britney -- a paid 8-year-old actress -- and posted them at the entrance of the Fashion Square Mall in Orlando.

Britney sat alone on a mall seat near a missing poster as her father watched from a distance inside a nearby Panera restaurant.

The experiment was to determine how many people would notice or help the girl posing as a missing child.

Local 6 videotaped person after person entering the mall without even noticing the missing child signs.

Others who did see the posters on the doors were videotaped walking by the missing child.

"I saw her but didn't know what to think," shopper Megan Reed said.

"I didn't even see her," shopper Priseilla Landerer said. "I didn't notice her."

The majority of people at the mall who did see a missing person sign also saw the young girl but just kept walking, Local 6's Donald Forbes reported.

"I took a good look at the poster," shopper Tony Roush said. "I'm a photographer, so I'm good with faces and I walked in and I was like, 'That's the girl. What do I do?'"

Some people said they were fearful of getting involved.

"Thatís what I was thinking," a shopper said. "I was scared the mom would pop out of nowhere and be like, 'Why are you talking to my child?'"

"Yeah, I think a lot of people have that fear (of getting involved)," shopper Omar Rijos said.

Forbes said there was concern by shoppers that if they started a conversation, it would be misconstrued by a possible nearby parent.

"We don't want to get really close because some people don't like it when you bother their child," shopper Linda Turner said.

Others said they didn't want to overreact or be made to look foolish.

"I didn't want to go tell the police and it not be her," shopper Jose Adorno said. "I really didn't know what to do."

Out of the dozen and dozens of people who walked by the girl, only two actually stopped to ask if Britney was OK, Forbes reported.

Marlon Campbell and Gina Perazella noticed the missing flier and then the girl.

Perazella sat down next to the girl and started to ask questions.

"She was alone," Perazella said. "I didn't see any parents around so that was another thing that kind of shocked me as well. And then, (Campbell) said that is the girl on the poster, so the poster definitely let us know."

Chelsa Stewart said she also noticed the girl but did not initially stop and went about her shopping. However, she came back 10 minutes later to ask Britney is she was OK.

"You might as well check," Stewart said. "It's better to be safe than sorry."

Katey Yocum and Maria Majiros Courtney were videotaped looking carefully at a flier and then at the child.

Both went to the nearest store and asked a manager to call security.

"I was like, 'What are the chances?'" Majiros said. "I'm like, 'No, that couldn't be it' and then I was like, 'It looks like her.'"

The experiment and the reactions of shoppers was upsetting and satisfying to the child's real father who watched the experiment from a distance.

"On one hand, I wish someone could have stopped to check on a little girl who was obviously by herself," father Brian Ball said. "But on the other hand, it was nice to see there weren't a lot of men walking up to her and random strangers."

For safety, Local 6 lined the surrounding halls of the mall with producers and planted undercover cameras at the main entrance.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    See what we as a society have DE-evolved too???????

Few even took notice of her.
    Few who did notice her were afraid to become involved. (fear of being called a molester or something along those lines.)

Even fewer did the right thing.

All I can say..... good for those who did check!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I like to think that what I would have done (if I had noticed her) is to contact authorities and monitor her well-being from a slight distance, then turn it over to law enforcement when they arrived.

On a potentially related note, as a public-school secondary teacher I find that it is not worth attempting to enforce a dress code any more...if I mention that some young woman's (or some young man's, for that matter) attire is inappropriate, I am likely to be asked by the parents (if not others) "why am I looking there?" Why set oneself up for that grief?

Sad, but true.

I think I would have noticed...and said something! My wife and I are constantly asking each other about people we have passed...how many kids?...what color shirt?...etc., it's been an 'alert game'...but it works for being cognizant of things around you...

Now I said, I think...I would have noticed...being there is a different story...

Stay armed...be cognizant...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 3rd, 2008 at 09:21 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't know. Sounds like even though a number of people missed the connection, some didn't and ultimately, and in relatively short order, she was identified and authorities were notified. I didn't see mention of how long it actually took.....

Of course, telling everyone that she was found, identified, and safe in 15 minutes wouldn't have made for a very good story then, would it.

I'm not sure I'm gonna blame "society" for this one. Some people aren't good with faces. I'm one of them. I ask my wife a couple of times the same night "is that one our waitress?"......right after she's been to the table!

About a decade ago, I was at a small town local Chinese restaurant at noon lunch hour and noticed a MISSING PERSON sign on the door on my way out. The MISSING PERSON was a local teenage girl.

Ironically, the same girl had come into work and had filled out an applicaiton for employment a few days earlier. As soon as I got back to work, I pulled her application and called the local cops with the information.

They thanked me, but said that she was a girl that ran away quite often and I highly doubt that they followed up.

I never did hear if there was an outcome.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Links