Advice needed for problem neighborhood kids.

This is a discussion on Advice needed for problem neighborhood kids. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I presume this is the correct place to post this one. Here is some background. The last dog my wife and I had was an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed for problem neighborhood kids.

Question Advice needed for problem neighborhood kids.

I presume this is the correct place to post this one.

Here is some background.

The last dog my wife and I had was an excellent old girl. She never barked in the house unless someone was in the yard after dark. She never barked at anyone while outside unless they came through the gate (exception being the deliveries).

Anyhow, there is a rental house on the corner that was a "Underground Railroad" for illegals. There were constantly kids (ages 3-14 - I kid you not, a toddler walking the block unattended) out roaming the block and starting hazing the dog. It got worse, she started barking at them, and any kid that walked by. The hazing got worse and they started throwing rocks at her (almost lost an ear on that one) and trying to poke her with sticks through the fence.

I talked to the kids, I yelled at the kids, and the last time I caught one of them trying to stab her with a stick I called the local PD (non-emergency line) to report it.

When the officers showed up I asked them what my options were. I explained the happenings and expressed my slight concern that the dog was going to hit a breaking point and bite one of the stupid little reaching over the fence, and the joyous little lawsuit to follow, and losing every thing we have for the lack of respect on the kids part.

There response was..."There is nothing we can do, or will do. You can document all you want, have video, and if it does happen, you will still be sued and probably loose."

Since then Harley has passed away, and we have a new pup, who we are trying to train to not bark at anything unless they are inside the gate. Now we a new set of kids on the block who have made it a point to antagonize her. First it was one riding the skateboard down the sidewalk to our gate, she come around the house barking, then walks back up the sidewalk to do it all over again.

I went out when I finally witnessed it, "I don't know what you did to my dog, or why she does not like you, so please, do not ride your skateboard or walk past our house, use the other side of the street." That lasted 1 day.

Now there are two of them and they are both doing the same thing, and when they are not skateboarding, they are carrying around broken off 1x1s about 3 feet long, and make a trip by the house about 15 times a day. I have watched them when the dog is outside waiting for one of them to do something other than "walk by". These are the only ones that I do not go out to stop her from barking, I want her to know that I agree that these kids are a problem and to be aware of them.

What gets me is that one of them has a dog of their own. They know I am at them about this, and they stare at the windows and doors when they walk by to see if I am at the door or watching them through the window.

I am going to get a camera mounted on the front of the house, and have pondered waiting for them to actually do something (it's gonna happen, this has been going on for a month now) and taking the video to the parents and telling them "This stops NOW." or "If this happens again, I am pressing animal cruelty charges and calling social services since you have no regard for your kids whereabouts and activities" and let the parents figure out what I meant by that since the police have already established they will not do anything.

Suggestions anyone? I am not going to leash the dog in the back yard. Our property, our fenced yard, her territory, and she is doing her job.

BTW, this is reason #18 why I hate kids, and #56 why I do not have any.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Have you talked to any of the parents of these kids? The one and only time some neighborhood kids were teasing our dogs (who were 120# and 140# at the time). The kids were poking with sticks and lunnging toward the fence.

I went straight over and talked to the grandparent who the kids were staying with. I explained I worked hard on training my dogs not to bite but those kids were provoking them and working them up at the fence.

I'm not sure what grandma told the kids, but it didn't happen again.

I'd call DHS, INS, the local Humane Society, and get a free consultation from an attorney on the matter. Make it record that your dog has been treated maliciously while kept on the confines of your own property. Make sure your dog's rabies vaccine is up to date. Get pics, or video to support your case, then possibly file a restraining order against the entire lot of little fugitives. Get copies of all your local ordinances and find any your neighbor is violating. Make their life hades. I'd also be looking into contacting the owner of the property (since you stated it was rental), and kindly tell them what's going on and you want it stopped. Check to see if the property is current on taxes due. You'll need to make a trip to the courthouse to do this, but it's all public record. My advice in a nutshell then would be----turn up the heat on your end until things start to fry. Good luck.

VIP Member
    +1 plus go ahead and document anything and everything. Talk to your local animal care agency or county neighborhood agency.
    As for skateboarding problem, I find that sprinkling some small to medium size gravel works wonders in reducing the ability of skateboarders to have a smooth ride..... OK, just kidding, we don't want the poor miscreants to suffer any damage.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Suggestions anyone? I am not going to leash the dog in the back yard. Our property, our fenced yard, her territory, and she is doing her job.

BTW, this is reason #18 why I hate kids, and #56 why I do not have any.
    My suggestion...tackle the problem, which isn't the kids (yet).
    It's the parents who don't parent.

Kids are great. But, they usually learn what they see from momma and poppa. If the parents will parent, the crap will stop. If not...take a to the parents...just kidding (no matter how much you may want to do that).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Toss debris on the sidewalk....pebbles etc to make skateboarding a problem...

You are in a tough spot here.
    I agree with the others here who have suggested to have an 'adult to adult' conversation. Choose your words carefully, and stay pleasant (in the beginning).
    I have had conversations with 'poor parents' (isn't that why many kids act like they do anyway...poor parenting?)... and if you carefully plan your approach, stay pleasant, but be firm...you might just solve your problem.
    Another approach might be to 'pleasantly chat' with the youthful offenders...I mean that...
    You might just get the little SOB's to bother someone else.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Express yourself very emotionally and loud. Most kids like to push buttons but really don't want a confruntation

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFloAuthor View Post
    Toss debris on the sidewalk....pebbles etc to make skateboarding a problem...
    This was going to be my suggestion too... buy some small pea gravel and sand and spread it around on the sidewalk in front of your house. Make sure you dont do a lot, as certainly some dingle berry will be walking by and fall down because of it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Tie up the dog for a while and electrify the fence.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Moderator
    Find an old junkyard dog that has a bad attitude and turn him loose.

Claim no ownership and act like you are horrified at the fact that he hates kids on skateboards and wants to eat them...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

document with photos (better if they have time/date stamps) contact attorney and sue the parents for the trespass... maybe trespass to chattels too...

parents are responsible for the acts of their children and you have done your best to remove the inherent lure of the dog - by keeping it behind a fence

generally the serving of papers from the court - notice of suit should be sufficient to rein them in..

Good Luck

Police may well not be able to help, and/or choose not to. But, the legal route is only one avenue. As suggested, consider strong documentation, enlisting other neighbors in the documentation effort so that you're not a lone man standing (and thus awaiting being "shot" down), then bring in the real cavalry in these situations: ICE/immigration, your social services / child neglect departments, your city's group that tracks "nuisance" homes and their owners. Meanwhile, appreciate that you're on the scat list for these latchkey kids, so keep your left (and your radar) up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why the nerve of these little so and so's.. why they are acting like.., like.. kids!
    Maybe you could try to be nice to them. Let them pet your dog and become friends, they probably don't have pets. Then you could explain about how to treat other people's pets.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This was going to be my suggestion too... buy some small pea gravel and sand and spread it around on the sidewalk in front of your house. Make sure you dont do a lot, as certainly some dingle berry will be walking by and fall down because of it.
    Might want to do it late at night, and do several houses...so it's not just in front of your own...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links