Accidents happen to anyone

This is a discussion on Accidents happen to anyone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I was trying to be a great boyfriend today, since my gf is in Puerto Vallarta, I was having the house exterior painted, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well, I was trying to be a great boyfriend today, since my gf is in Puerto Vallarta, I was having the house exterior painted, and I was going to get some surprise projects done for her.

So the guys come over and start the painting, and I take off to run errands. I am doing great, getting everything done, and buying what I need to build a custom headboard for the spare bedroom. Something special and in expensive to fit the 'theme' of the room.

So I get to my buddies shop to use the power tools to make this easier on me. I rip down a 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" premium plywood into 2" strips. I am making a simulated picket fence. I have been using this table saw for almost 10 years, and am extremely cautious with it. I keep my eye on the blade while it is on, and don't move until I am certain of what I am doing.

I get down to the last 2 strips, and accidently put my left pointer finger, between tip and first knuckle, across the top backside of the table saw blade.

I immediately close my hand as hard as I can, knowing it isn't going to be good, and walk into the showroom. I say " hey Jack we gotta go to the ER, I just cut my finger on the saw." He turns, along with everyone else and looks at me like WTH? I say "let's go before it starts hurting". I throw my keys to the tinter, and say " get this tinted while I am gone", since that was on the list to do also.

He says " let's go, I'll drive" and off to the ER we go. By now, I am feeling it.

Good thing the ER was only 1.5 miles away, cause I probably wouldn't have wanted to go much longer than that. I happened to heave enough thought process, to remove my carry weapon before we get there, since I don't know what I am in for.

He slows down in front of the door, and I jump out. Parking lot is FULL. I run in,and the place is EMPTY. Walk up to the triage window, and fill out the damn form.

No one is back there, so I knock on the window, and after about 30 seconds, a nurse walks into the office and looks up at me and can tell she needed to open the door right now.

I tell her what happened, get the formalities over with, and get right into a room. By now, it is hurting, but going numb. I am not happy, and want something for the pain.

Nurse comes in and starts the saline bath, which started the shock process,so I tell her I need to lie back. It calms down after about 2 minutes and the pain gets more intense. Then x-ray comes and snaps 3.

I call my buddy and tell him to be ready to drive me home, since they said I was getting "the good stuff". Then, my GF calls from Mexico. I am like 'aw not good timing', and have to answer it. I tell her, and she is upset. I tell her it's fine, I can feel it, and it's gonna be back to normal in a few months. She calms down, and finishes up the stories from Mexico.

Dr. shows up and takes a look, I tell him it's numb, but I can feel it. He says "great" . That means I didn't damage the nerves!!!

1 digital block, hurt like all hell!! Starts shock over, 7 stitches and I head back to finish the headboard.

I got it finished! and had a couple of lessons re-enforced today. I can handle myself under painful and tough circumstances and I am not immune from mistakes, no matter how careful I am being.

Sorry no pics that I can u/l right now. They are on my cellphone.

The headboard looks great, and the house is painted though!!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Ouch! At least it's your left finger rather than your trigger finger.

Be careful out there...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    I use power tools pretty regularly, I was a trim carpenter in a former life... the table saws always kinda scared me.

I did a very similar thing to my thumb a few years ago when I was putting in a new hardwood floor in my own home. It does serve as a wake up call for sure.
    "Just blame Sixto"

B52
    Ouch man, I lost the tip of my left index finger due to a B52 number 7 engine. $10,000 (paid for by your tax dollars, thanks!!!) and a few years later my finger doesn't look too bad. I am right handed and still count my blessings. I hope you recover quickly!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    You have even more company. Without moving the slide back I reached over and sawed my right thumb below the knuckle through the bone.

I remember grabbing my thumb, which was draining blood like a squirt gun and asking my coworker for a band aid.

One month ago yesterday, I was using a power drill with a nice sharp new bit in it to drill out the screw holes on a flange of a flexible piece of wave guide at our transmitter site. The other end of the wave guide was already connected to the dish I was working on.
    I was holding the end of the wave guide with my left hand and drilling the screw holes out. When the drill bit actually made it through the first screw hole, it caused my left hand to slide up on the wave guide and my index finger was pinched between the wave guide and the drill bit. In the process of this happening the bit ripped my finger open across the knuckle. I could not pull my finger out, the bit was squashing my finger and it was trapped.
    Now the worst part, as I was there by myself, I couldn't ask or even yell for help. It is a remote location as most transmitter sites are. In order to free my finger, the only thing I could do was to switch the drill into reverse and back it out across my finger.

Once I was free, I grabbed it and went inside to wash it off and apply first aid. When I washed it out, I could see the bone. I closed it up, taped it and got myself a splint. Probably should have gone to the ER but I wasn't finished and I had to get this job done by the end of the day. So I went out and finished it.

It's all healed up now. Not even a real bad scar.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"Accidents" are unfortunate events resulting in some sort of damage or harm that occur in a very low frequency but with a very HIGH probability.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

B52
    Consider your self lucky my friend. My finger was so dirty with oil and hydrolic fluid they could only do a skin graph. Man I miss the tip of my finger and finger nail, take care brother! Cool pics...

A buddy of my is a locksmith who was working on a customers car at the customers house. At the bottom of the dash there is metal at is very sharp, sure enough he sliced his finger almost off. So he takes a shop rag around wraps it around his wrist and take a pencil at twists it so tight that the blood stop. So the customer ask do you want me to drive you to the hospital? Nah I will finish the job and then go. Finishes the job get paid drives himself to the hospital. Walks calmy into the hospital and states the the clerk at the front desk" I almost cut my finger off" The clerk is like Yea, Right. So he takes off the turnique and the blood shoots out like a fountain. The clerk almost passes out. He walks into the ER now because the woman is almost passed out. They stich him up and he goes back to work.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Wow... it could have been worse. I had to skip over the pictures -- I'd get queasy if I looked.

BTW does anyone know how I can desensitize myself to the sight of blood? Action movies don't bother me, but seeing real blood or even talking or reading about it makes me sick. Once I started going into shock when I cut my little finger with a pocket knife (about like a paper cut).

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Ouch!

I have a healthy respect for power tools. I have two uncles that each lost fingers at work. Growing up I thought that's the way it was. You go to work, you lose a finger.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    BTW does anyone know how I can desensitize myself to the sight of blood? Action movies don't bother me, but seeing real blood or even talking or reading about it makes me sick. Once I started going into shock when I cut my little finger with a pocket knife (about like a paper cut).
    No idea. I have no problem seeing my own blood. I've seen it plenty of times and thought nothing of it. But for some reason I get queasy if I see anyone else's. I can't even watch those ER reality shows on TV.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Wow... it could have been worse. I had to skip over the pictures -- I'd get queasy if I looked.

Thats a hard one. Try hypnotism. Being in EMS, I can tell you that some people can do it and others just can't.

Had a walk in at the station yesterday, guy had cut a one inch lac on his finger. Minimal blood loss overall but he and his wife were freaking out that the blood had soaked three washcloths and it was still oozing.

This was not nearly enough blood loss to cause shock but he could barely walk and was about to pass out. Psychological response.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Under circumstances like you describe, the thing to do is remember that YOU are the ONLY person that can give the correct information to help yourself. I don't depend on anyone else to be able to do it for me.

I have a history of heat exhaustion since I was 8 years old. I am now 36, so I know that if something happens to me, no matter what the circumstances, I have to be able to call, or tell someone what is happening. If I am out of it(way too late for heat exhaustion), then whatever happens, happens. I can go into shock AFTER I have medical help! Like yesterday, I was fine until I got to the hospital, and the adrenaline wore off, then I got super clammy and light headed. I told them to let me lay down, and after a couple of minutes, I was good.

It takes a while to get your mind to think this way, but after so many years of my history, I had to do it. Otherwise, I'd be dead by now.
    Sean

Hand injuries are the most common and can sometimes be the worst to heal. I work around heavy industrial machinery and power tools all the time on the job. Some of the equipment will not even leave any evidence you ever had a limb. Needless to say out of all my hand injuries---most of them have happened while not at work. I gashed myself pretty good yesterday taking the throttle body off the car to clean it. My 15mm socket broke in three places on the wall when I went to break one of the nuts loose--when everything gave and went, I gashed my lower left palm deeply on a bracket. It must have took five minutes to start bleeding and when it did----------! Have mercy. I usually wear some kind of gloves, but for the quickie projects I might not bother. Be careful, accidents will happen no matter what we do to limit them. I remember a guy at work saying about a co-worker one time--"if he aint bleedin', he aint doin' nuthin'". Some are more prone to accidents than others for sure.
    For all those who did something and injured themselves this weekend-----------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links