Aldo, Where's Your Partner?

This is a discussion on Aldo, Where's Your Partner? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll bet this poor cop took some crap back at the station house! NEW YORK (AP) -- Police say a patrol horse found his own ...

Thread: Aldo, Where's Your Partner?

1943 - 2009

I'll bet this poor cop took some crap back at the station house!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police say a patrol horse found his own way back through Manhattan streets to his stable after throwing his rider.

The officer was treated for minor injuries after traffic noise spooked Aldo on Friday. The 8-year-old took off about eight blocks to the stable.

New York police spokesman Paul Browne says the horse "knows his turf."

Officer Martin Brown says Aldo suffered a few small cuts. The 21-year police veteran riding him had some injuries to his neck and shoulder.

Aldo has been a police horse for about a year.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I'll bet this poor cop took some crap back at the station house!
    Embarrassing for sure...but did you have to bring up the 'crap' talk again?...Oh oh...here we go again...

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    It does sound like the cop had a crappy day, I wonder what words were going thru his mind as his horse ran off?
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I wonder if after a few stops at dunkin donuts during the last year had anything to do with aldo ditching his ride
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This isn't all that uncommon. EVERYONE comes off once in awhile (even me - 2 yrs ago and I've been riding most of my life (49 y/o)).

When it happens, the horse runs off because he's scared and running is his normal reaction to fear. Sometimes he runs home, sometimes he doesn't. Ribbing isn't something that usually happens because there is a real risk of very serious injury as a result of the fall. For example: Christopher Reeve was paralyzed from a fall from a horse. So, it isn't a joking matter.

1943 - 2009
    Well, Rob, you obviously haven't spent much time in a station house, or exposed to cop humor. I can guarantee you that this officer has a new nickname.

I knew a Portland, OR, Mounted Officer who was involuntarily unhorsed on duty. It took a long time for him to live that down.

Yes, I'm well aware that being thrown from a horse can result in serious injury. Like yourself, I've been there, done that. I never intended to imply that it was a joking matter.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    We have a couple of pictures of NYC mounties from one of our trips to the city. It's a dying profession around here. There aren't many officers on horses anymore.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    This isn't all that uncommon. EVERYONE comes off once in awhile (even me - 2 yrs ago and I've been riding most of my life (49 y/o)).

When it happens, the horse runs off because he's scared and running is his normal reaction to fear. Sometimes he runs home, sometimes he doesn't. Ribbing isn't something that usually happens because there is a real risk of very serious injury as a result of the fall. For example: Christopher Reeve was paralyzed from a fall from a horse. So, it isn't a joking matter.
    It may indeed be a serious matter, but I guarantee the copper has plenty of new names, his desk redecorated etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It may indeed be a serious matter, but I guarantee the copper has plenty of new names, his desk redecorated etc.
    Saddle with a seatbelt perhaps?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post

No doubt that Christopher Reeve or anyone else being paralyzed from any accident is no joking matter. If this mounted officer had been seriously injured, his fellow officers would make sure his kids got to school, grass mowed, etc, however he wasn't seriously injured and no doubt he took a lot of ribbing at work, which would be typical. That ribbing is recognized by a lot of current and ex-leo's right here on this forum. Sometimes the ribbing is more painful than the minor bruises, but the threat of good-natured ribbing, does serve as a constant reminder to be more careful on the job in the future too.

A relative of mine who is a leo was barely grazed by a bullet in his "buttock". The incident was serious, his injury was not. Prior to talking to him, I heard he was pretty somber and in a bit of a stupor after this incident. While talking to him, I knew he didn't need further reminders of his serious incident, and while gauging his demeanor I decided to add a little related humor to our conversation. I'm no licensed psych, but he snapped right back to his normal self and has been fine ever since. A little good-natured ribbing and humor can go a long way in lightening someone's mental load.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sponsored Links