Driving In Bad Weather

This is a discussion on Driving In Bad Weather within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; How many enjoy driveing in bad weather/extreme weather I drove to Colorado a few months back got to drive in a blizzerd...

View Poll Results: Enjoy driving in bad weather?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extreme weather is fun.

53 63.10%
  • No, I hate when it's cloudy.

27 32.14%
  • Unknown

4 4.76%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving In Bad Weather

Driving In Bad Weather

How many enjoy driveing in bad weather/extreme weather
    I drove to Colorado a few months back got to drive in a blizzerd

2. Remove Ads

I'm from the mountains east of Seattle.

I've driven in rain so hard that you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you.

60+ mph winds (especially across the I-90 and 520 bridges) that will blow your car around the lanes.

Snow (in the winters, obviously) that makes everyone else drive like a grandma, and makes hills difficult to ascend/descend even with 4WD.

Bad weather driving is fun if you have wide open parking lot to do donuts and bootlegers turns in, sure... But when you're dealing with other idiots on the roads, and max speeds of 40 on the freeway, you start to contemplate it.

Nope. I'm getting tired of this climate.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator
    Call me crazy, but I love driving in snow. The deeper the better. I go out and play whenever it snows, I honestly enjoy it and take pride in my driving ability no matter the weather. I learned to drive in the Cleveland snow belt in the winter, so the mild garbage we have been getting the past couple of years in southern Ohio has been boring.

The people who are not very skilled or are to afraid but are out anyway are the ones that make it dangerous.

With a good car for it, I also like driving in the rain. My Speed6 really excels on wet roads, and I tend to push it little provided traffic is light. In contrast, I had a Mustang Cobra that was terrible on wet roads. The rear end would break loose when a kid in the car in front of me spit out the window... but if one was skilled with the car, it could be fun.

I've also piloted a CBR600R from Ft. Lewis to Cleveland in the early spring of '96... that was interesting. I did it in 2.5 days, and saw snow, ice, T-Storms, state troopers, wind shears that I thought were going to toss me off the bike like a rag doll. It was fun... but I wont do it again. My back still hurts.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hey Sixto, off-topic but related question for you: Is it illegal to throw some 360's in an iced-over parkinglot? No destruction of property (tiremarks) or etc... and it's private property so I don't think you could get a negligent for it.... could you?

I have a 4WD vehicle that sees a lot of use during the winter and I don't mind the actual act of driving in the snow; I just hate dealing with all the other idiots that don't know how. Also I live on a steep hill, which is harder to get *down* than *up* with snow/ice on it. My Lexus is useless in the snow, although the new all-weather tires made it more tolerable last winter.
    I don't mind driving in rain unless it's that torrential-downpour rain that creates huge puddles and visibility problems.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I grew up in Colorado so I'm no stranger to bad roads. I have a jeep, so it's no big deal to me, but it is fun driving around people stuck on hills.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    Hey Sixto, off-topic but related question for you: Is it illegal to throw some 360's in an iced-over parkinglot? No destruction of property (tiremarks) or etc... and it's private property so I don't think you could get a negligent for it.... could you?
    You can indeed get a reckless driving ticket on private property, as long as the public has access to said property. I.E., a parking lot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Dang. Guess I won't do that anymore (not that it was a frequent occurence, anyway). I'd kind of hope that a rural cop would give a clean-looking young guy in a nice car a break for some donuts in an icy parking lot, but it'd definitely be officer's discretion, and I don't like to test that.
    OK, back to topic.... heh...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Really used to enjoy the deep snow driving of Michigan's U.P., and rural Alaska...then got to hate it...

Now we have really gotten back to liking the driving in the 'cold, wintery' weather again...

Actually, I have volunteered to shovel snow for ALL the retired folk in our sub...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I miss the winter weather while I'm here in Hawaii (blasphemy, I know). My truck does quite while in the snow, and an outstanding job at pullin other folk's vehicles out of it.

I just don't like all the people that don't know how to drive in bad weather, and think that nice big distance between you and the vehicle in front of you is for them to zip in and out of.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The problem with bad weather as in blizzards is 4x4 don't mean you can't get stuck you get stuck in the wrong place you could freeze to death before help arrives,also during rainy weather I'm not so worried about my driving it's the hydroplaning idiot sliding at me that makes me wish i had been wearing depends.But down here you don't need any road conditions to get killed half these idiots speed,run red lights,stop signs,drink and drive like it's legal or be under the influence of marijuana or cocaine,i'm telling ya it'a a crap shoot to go out.Half the vehicles are from mexico which means they might have a drivers license and insurance lol what's that attitude
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

EXTREME WEATHER IS FUN
    +1 Must be the adrenaline surge. I love snow---I don't really like baseball size hail though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'm from the mountains east of Seattle.
    I've driven route 20 eastward on several occasions, and remember some real "frog strangler" rainstorms. Exhilirating!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

If it's just me on the road, I'll 'almost ' enjoy myself......but having to pay attention to everyone else AND the road conditions/enviroment kinda takes the fun outta it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If you haven't been out driving in a storm where the color of the sky is turning yellow and greens, you haven't lived. Of course, that's about 2mins shy of being sucked up into a funnel so fast it'll make your head swim.

If you haven't been caught in a blizzard in the middle of nowhere with 50mi to go and not another car in sight, you haven't lived. Of course, that pop-sickle they find at the bottom of the ravine on May 16 will bear a striking resemblance to ...

If you haven't been in a Saskatchewan winter at twenty below when a storm front moves in, you haven't lived. "Click!" That would be the sound of a camera taking a new photo for Webster's where the caption'll read: "Cold" is a state of mind.

If you haven't been caught out on Hole #13 with the "big dog" in your hands, you haven't lived. Looking on the bright side, be glad for your new plastic/composite shafts that replaced your graphite Aldilas.

If you haven't stood in the middle of a field in monsoon country during a monsoon downpour, you haven't lived. In such a field, the phrase "raining cats & dogs" simply doesn't have the same meaning.

Got that survival bag ready? Zinnnng!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I love driving in the snow. But then I have had many years of practice driving in some pretty nasty conditions in Montana. Don't get to do that much over here in Maine as the people demand perfect roads before heading to work which translates into more taxes and tons of salt dumped on the roads. Personally I think it unnecessary as with a little caution and experience driving in bad conditions isn't really difficult.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links