Man arrested for having loaded guns in house

This is a discussion on Man arrested for having loaded guns in house within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This guy was arrested for child endangerment for having loaded firearms within reach of a child. Bridgetown Dad Ordered to Stay Away From Son - ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man arrested for having loaded guns in house

Man arrested for having loaded guns in house

This guy was arrested for child endangerment for having loaded firearms within reach of a child. Bridgetown Dad Ordered to Stay Away From Son - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati
    Gee, I guess my Dad could of been arrested when he left me alone in his gun room reloading shotgun shells when I was 14. His requirement was "son, if you want to shoot skeet, then you have to re-load your own shells'. Not only did I load mine, but he made me load his also.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't leave a loaded gun where a 4 year old could get it. I don't leave guns where my 1 year old can get them either.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

big difference between 4 years old and a young teenager.
    big difference between reloading shotgun shells and leaving handguns on countertops around the house.

Lots of unknowns with this story but the arrested man certainly sounds like he needed some gun safety instruction at the very minimum!!

Officers say they also found a machete on Bartee during his arrest.
    He has three handguns laying around, and he is carrying a machete?

Seriously though, leaving 3 handguns laying around like that is very irresponsible with a 4 y.o. running around.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

There was a 5 year old that got a gun off a shelf and killed his sister not more than a couple days ago I do not advocate leaving any gun where a young child can get it loaded or otherwise.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    There was a 5 year old that got a gun off a shelf and killed his sister not more than a couple days ago I do not advocate leaving any gun where a young child can get it loaded or otherwise.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ld-sister.html

Posted that last night. This guy could have had the same unfortunate incident. I wonder how the police found out.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the "child endangerment law" can be painted with a very large brush.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDun View Post
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the "child endangerment law" can be painted with a very large brush.
    Maybe so, but leaving a loaded weapon within easy reach of a toddler is just stupid, no matter how you slice it.

-JT

I agree with others here, this is plainly unsafe and stupid on the part of the father.
    And agreed a 4 yr. old is not the same as a teenager nor are loaded pistols the same as reloaded shotgun shells.

It's people like him with actions like his that have been the reason for the great effort by others to restrict our freedoms.
    Common sense is a foreign concept to people like him.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Definitely an irresponsible dad...I'm not sure he should go to jail (no injuries), but the judge should somehow get his attention.

Stay armed...use a safe...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree, the guy is stupid but its not against the law to be stupid nor is against the law in Ohio to leave loaded firearms laying around. If you want to arrest somebody for it then pass a law and stop using this child endangerment law to get around it.

That's the thing though Dun it is just that in Ohio and most every other state; 'child endangerment'.

2919.22 Endangering children.

(A) No person, who is the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child under eighteen years of age or a mentally or physically handicapped child under twenty-one years of age, shall create a substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection, or support. It is not a violation of a duty of care, protection, or support under this division when the parent, guardian, custodian, or person having custody or control of a child treats the physical or mental illness or defect of the child by spiritual means through prayer alone, in accordance with the tenets of a recognized religious body.

Source- Lawriter - ORC - 2919.22 Endangering children.
    This guy as the boys dad did create a substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection, and support.
    Being stupid is one thing, and having loaded firearms laying around within your home is another.
    But by law and common sense being a person charged in the care of a 4 yr. old leaving loaded pistols around in clear and easy access to said child, that is stupid and endangerment.
    His actions go against basic common sense and the ten rules of firearms use and storage.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I wonder what prompted the police to come to the home in the first place?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I agree with others here, this is plainly unsafe and stupid on the part of the father.- Janq
    +1

Just plain stupid and dangerous. I hope the child has a better mother!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Jang, who I agree with about 99% of the time posted the following bit of code:
    "2919.22 Endangering children.
    (A) No person, who is the parent, guardian, custodian, person having custody or control, or person in loco parentis of a child under eighteen years of age or a mentally or physically handicapped child under twenty-one years of age, shall create a substantial risk to the health or safety of the child, by violating a duty of care, protection, or support."

While I agree that the guns should not have been available to the 4 year old, I worry about the application of a very broad brush phrase such as "create a substantial risk to the health or safety of a child."

I think in my state there is a specific law which will make things criminal if a child gets his hands on a gun and something unfortunate occurs. That isn't quite the same thing as this broad brush, "create a substantial risk."

Let's see now. I recall a time when my kiddo was learning to ride a bike. Training wheels and all, helmet and all, there was a substantial risk. Try as we might, he'd sometime get into the street. And indeed the kid fell, bonked his head, mom grabbed him up from the ground and took him immediately to a doc who told her to calm down. Or, another time the local school had a bike riding contest for first graders. Several kids got scraped up and might have broken something, just luck really it didn't happen. Should we take competitive sports away from kids?

When I was growing up I was always playing monkey in a tree. Mom would scream "your going to fall and break every bone in your body," but she also knew at some level that a boy needs to learn to climb. Was allowing that creation of "substantial risk."

Or, what about the numerous times I would swim out into the middle of a large lake---because that is what boys do when they get a chance. Should mom have chained me to the pier?

I don't know what happened in the house that caused the police to become involved. But, I do know that there are sometimes really good reasons for leaving loaded guns in various spots in the house, and there is a parental decision that needs to be made. In the usual course of events is the dang kiddo going to get his hands on this, or is this safe in the usual course of events.

Four year olds do have limited climbing ability. They are as likely to hurt themselves in a fall as to find that hidden weapon high up on something.

From my perspective as someone well old enough to be a grandpa, with a kiddo in his 30s, I can look back at the many times I might have been accused of creating a substantial risk---so too our school district which operated a high diving board at the park.

Anyone else see a problem with the type of code Jang kindly posted for us?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links