Shooters and their hearing problems - Page 2

Shooters and their hearing problems

This is a discussion on Shooters and their hearing problems within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was born with a bilateral severe hearing loss. It is a nerve deafness of unknown etiology and it cannot be helped by any medical ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooters and their hearing problems

I was born with a bilateral severe hearing loss. It is a nerve deafness of unknown etiology and it cannot be helped by any medical or surgical treatment. According to the many ENT physicians and audiologists I have seen over the years, my right ear has about 60% loss and my left ear about a 75% loss. These people are astonished that I have two graduate degrees and work as a healthcare executive. Apparently, most people with such a profound loss rarely graduate from college or work in professions that involve contact with people. I currently have two hearing aids that cost approximately $ 7000 for the pair, and FYI, hearing aids in my situation are not covered by any insurance. I have to pay for them out of pocket. I bought these aids about a year ago after not using any hearing aids for the last twenty five years or so.

Suffice it to say that I am diligent about guarding my remaining hearing, and use both plugs and muffs when I am at the range.

PS: the other interesting condition at my birth is that I was born with bilateral strabismus (crossed eyes) which causes double vision. Back then, 46 years ago, the state of the art was to wait on the corrective surgery until the child was about six years old or so, which is when I had my surgery. They now know that this causes amblyopia (lazy eye) in that the infant brain learns to suppress the vision from one eye. Consequently, I have only one good eye; in the other one, the neurological connections from the optic nerve to the vision center of the brain never developed. This is why children who are born with strabismus since the 1970's now have corrective surgery at a few weeks of age.

Regards,

MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Assistant Administrator
    Wow Michael - that is some achievement - good for you. Good to see you

Mind you - ouch - $7k for the aids, phew! But yes we all need to take care of what we have, normal or diminished. I am truly amazed that my early days in 60's, shooting .303 Brit long range with only (at best) - cleaning patches stuck in each ear, did not leave me really screwed up.

Fortunately my loss is really quite marginal and I jealously guard what remains - it is too valuable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I have shooting related Tinnitus.
    I'm joking around up there but, it's really terrible and nothing to joke about.
    You do NOT want to damage your hearing by shooting without ear protection...trust me on that.

My ears have been ringing nearly every day for years now.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Prior to reading this, my plan was to consult an Audiologist today. I have noticed when I listen to voices with music, the music tends to drown out the voices. At first I thought that the musicians were at fault or the singers weren't loud enough but I now suspect a hearing problem. I too am averse to loud noise and have Tinitus (MyDoc sez it's normal with aging, but I wonder?) I spent 45 years in Naval Aviation and have done quite a bit of shooting, then there was listening to two wives yak and nag. It's not surprising that I may be loosing my hearing.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Could You Type A Little Louder Please?
    So, that's why you bold so much stuff!!

Oh sorry, so that's why you bold so much stuff!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Stop Mumbling!

I would say as my family would try to talk to me. That is until I realized they were only mumbling when there was background noise, like a dishwasher, TV or a radio. I wasn't as careful as I should have been when I was younger, but I have since doubled up on my hearing protection since I noticed the deterioration. I wear ear buds and over the ear protection when I'm shooting a handgun, but I haven't found over the ear protection that is comfortable when I'm shooting a rifle. I'm still pretty young and these ears have to last me a while!

I wear plugs and Peltors...

Many folks don't realize that the sound waves hitting the sourrounding bones will transmit into your ears as well.

Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

BTW, check out the letters on that black hat!
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links