Shooters and their hearing problems

This is a discussion on Shooters and their hearing problems within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When we loose our ability to hear it becomes difficult for family and friends. Shopping and carrying out daily routines in shopping become a challenge. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooters and their hearing problems

Shooters and their hearing problems

When we loose our ability to hear it becomes difficult for family and friends. Shopping and carrying out daily routines in shopping become a challenge. We shooters are the first to say everything is OK, I can hear but once in a while my ears ring or feel like wind is blowing over my ears.
    The ringing or noise in your ear is the first tips off you have a health problem and you should see your doctor. In some cases the doctor may not pick up on any health problem and say your fine, just watch your diet. Danger signs should go up and you need to follow up for your health.
    I attended a couple of hearing loss seminars and when raising the point about ringing or wind noise in my ears they would always ask, are you a diabetic? I of course would say no I donít think so, but they were on the right track as I found out later that was the issue.
    When my hearing started to deteriorate comical situations developed. I could not hear the car radio very plain and looked for a replacement. The sales guy was pretty good and told me the radio is fine I donít need one, he didnít elaborate on my hearing ability.
    When my electronic ears had what I thought was a problem and returned them for repair, the company even replaced the right side hearing piece I complained about, they too were very good to me.
    What may have caused my hearing problem? I really donít know, but over the years of working around large guns being fired, jets winding up a few feet away and working in a cold underground bunker didnít help my health I donít believe.
    I thought this may be of interest to some shooters to check on their health and delay serious problems when their hearing seems to get worse.
    Richard
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    a good idea, I try to wear hearing protection around loud equipment as well as shooting. Only time I don't is hunting.

Assistant Administrator
    Richard - this does indeed need considered by us all.

Odd eh - way way back - little thought was given to hearing protection - and that is partly I think why us older folks sometimes have trouble now - plus to a degree as well - there is something of a lottery with individuals - some are perhaps more predisposed to problems than others.

I am surprised and not a little relieved, that my hearing has held out fairly well considering abuses. I have no tinnitus as yet and seem to have just lost a measure of high frequency reception - my left ear is lower quality than right.

I shudder when I think back to my army cadet long range shooting, 1960 thru 1963. We shot with Enfield MkIV target rifles and most we ever had for protection was screwed up cleaning patches stuffed in the ears - NOT very effective. I well recall spotting for other guys and feeling that blast from the muzzles, they were pretty close!!!

Not strictly on topic but here is a nostalgia pic for me - a scan of an old score sheet from '63 at 500 yards - I still have my old score books .We had seven shots to count after two sighters. I never did get a ''possible'' 35 ever but was able to fairly consistently get 32's and 33's and so was not a total embarrassment to the team

The writing of the score figures I recognize as being that of a Major Couttes - lovely fella, long gone.

Sorry for thread drift as I wallow in nostalgia

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I like your post Chris, I hoped to help some guys that may being going through this issue. Thanks rocky.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I'm glad now my father beat it into my head you never shoot without over the ears protection or earplugs.

Administrator

Shooting Related Tinnitus

Yep...I have it folks. Constant ear ringing. It's loud & sometimes it's absolute torture. With me...it's forever. Take care of your ears folks. You don't ever want to get what I have & to the degree that I have it. Trust me on that.

VIP Member

I work in a loud environment (boiler operations) and shoot a lot, also. QK hits it on the head...once tinitius sets in, you are pretty much hosed. Constant ringing and loss of ability to hear higher pitched sounds....my father can't hear crickets chirping (heavy equipment operator for a good part of his life). I'm almost there.

Take care of your ears starting when you are young! I sometimes wonder about war veterans that are in the Artillery branches....
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

DC Founder
    I have what's commonly known as "tanker's ears" after six years in the military. Tanks are loud all the time, not just when they shoot and the military gave us orange plastic earplugs that didn't provide complete protection. But even before the military, the Rolling Stones concerts and shooting without ear protection deteriorated my hearing. Mine isn't terribly bad, but I have a bit of a high frequency loss which becomes noticeable when someone is talking with a lot of background noise....
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

QK-did you see a doctor about other health issues? Just asking your a sharp guy I know but sometimes men are lagging when it comes to health, pm me if you answer, I don't expect it in the clear. I have serious issues and never paid attention to people telling me about getting it checked. My younger days were shooting 40mm quad mounts about 20 feet away or 5" stuff going off. I have worked in really bad areas. I deveoped high speed printer software for a customer with the printer and I in a small room. It tells on you sooner or later.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Administrator

FortyFve

Thanks for your concern. I appreciate you asking.
    Yes, I am otherwise extremely healthy...except for a sometimes blown out back & a dislocated shoulder...right now.

I actually have a Top Notch Family Dr. who is a really close friend ~ as a plus his office is a nice converted old funeral home about 5 front doors down the street from my home. He is really on the ball.

He has been willing to work with me on everything that I've wanted to try to ease the ear ringing. I am not much up for taking any narcotic type meds though. Ya can forget all of the "herbal treatments" 'cause I've tried every possible combination of those.

Right now...I am using a "True White Noise" CD in a portable player with headphones...it's one that plays every audible sound pitch that the human ear can hear...all at the same time. So...it "fills in" the high end of the hearing spectrum.
    I use that usually before I go to sleep...or try to get some sleep.
    It was initally tough for me to get used to hearing it...but, it does help. This is the one I am using. (below)
    Search Ebay for White Noise. You'll find it.
    It's about $9.00 plus shipping.

What? Speak Up.

I used to shoot without ears (I have eyes as in glasses) and I have a slight ringing in my left ear. It's sometimes bad and sometimes I forget that it's there.

But I got an adversion to loud noise, don't know why, just one day I just couldn't stand loud noise so I started to wear ears. So mine is still okay except for the slight ringing in the left.

I tell all new shooters or even the older ones that I shoot with that I won't shoot with them if they won't wear eyes or ears.

Wayne

hearing

very late to this post...better late than never!

I always wear hearing protection when I go to the range (indoor or outdoor). I was at an outdoor range just a few weeks ago having some fun with my Beretta 92FS and there was a grandfather, father and grandson there shooting a Taurus .357 Magnum wheel gun.

I can't recall whether the adults had hearing protection, but the 16-year old DID NOT (You KNOW what kind of concussion those magnums make! Thumps your chest!).

The 16-year old walked over to me and shouted, "I'M DEAF! I CAN'T HEAR ANYTHING! YOU'RE LUCKY YOU'RE WEARING HEARING PROTECTION!" I just smiled and made the motion of tapping my temple with a bent index finger ('smart'/ 'thinking').

I grew up attending dozens of Christian concerts in the 80's and even wore ear plugs toward the end of my concert days, but I fear that even my hearing isn't as sharp as it should be for being in my mid-30's.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    remember my grandad shooting when i was younger with 45 cases in his ears for protection lol he let me use his ears so i would be protected while he taught me to shoot think he might have picked up on the empty case thing in the old timey marines lol we had hearing protection when i got there if you want to call em that think most of my hearing problems came from verry loud DIs

Administrator

Excuse Me

Could You Type A Little Louder Please?

What did you say??? I can not hear you. Can you speakup for me.
    frankmako

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links