First Florida Trip, Need Some Info.

This is a discussion on First Florida Trip, Need Some Info. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We are currently planning a trip to Ft. Myers in July. My 16 yr old sons baseball team, got invited to a national championship tournament. ...

VIP Member

We are currently planning a trip to Ft. Myers in July.
    My 16 yr old sons baseball team, got invited to a national championship tournament. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on the Ft. Myers area. I'm wanting some info. before we book hotels, etc... are there parts of town to avoid? places to see when we have off time? what areas have better hotels? that kind of stuff.

We will be playing at these facilities:

Red Sox Player Development Facility
    Lee County Sports Complex
    City of Palms Park
    Terry Park

I've never been to Florida, so I really need some help.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I live right by there and can help you out. Ft.Myers is like many florida cities. It has good parts and bad parts, and the bad parts arent bad unless you go down MLK blvd which is not to far from the sports complex you are going too. The red sox stadium you are going to is in a pretty rough part of town, but its not like chicago or anything by any means! I used to play hockey which is located right by the red sox stadium and played for years getting out late at night with never a close call, just bothered by a bum once.

The area for good hotels not to far from your area I would stick to south fort myers area , which is alittle bit farther, but less then 15-20 min depending on traffic and much newer and nicer. hwy 41 is where most of the places are. If you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me.

Be careful at rest areas.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Quote Originally Posted by blazinred View Post
    I live right by there and can help you out. Ft.Myers is like many florida cities. It has good parts and bad parts, and the bad parts arent bad unless you go down MLK blvd
    How come MLK blvd anywhere is always bad?

I live in Venice, about an hour north of Ft Myers, but make frequent trips for both business and pleasure down that way. I have never had a reason to feel threatened, and I have made many trips down MLK Blvd. I often go to the big Flea Market which is located right on MLK. Mind you, I don't make a habit of stopping at the convenience stores with bars on the windows, but driving through is no problem.

Check out the flea market while your there. If your into history, check out the Ford / Edison estates also. It's a nice little guided tour. Make sure you go with live tour guide though, don't take one of those cheesy recorded devices.

Run out to Sanibel and Captiva islands for a day in the sand.

Have fun, don't forget your sunscreen! That's the most likely danger you will be in!

Dying of natural causes is for wimps!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiver View Post
    I live in Venice, about an hour north of Ft Myers, but make frequent trips for both business and pleasure down that way. I have never had a reason to feel threatened, and I have made many trips down MLK Blvd. I often go to the big Flea Market which is located right on MLK. Mind you, I don't make a habit of stopping at the convenience stores with bars on the windows, but driving through is no problem.

Check out the flea market while your there. If your into history, check out the Ford / Edison estates also. It's a nice little guided tour. Make sure you go with live tour guide though, don't take one of those cheesy recorded devices.

Run out to Sanibel and Captiva islands for a day in the sand.

Have fun, don't forget your sunscreen! That's the most likely danger you will be in!

+1.......and PM for info, I'm not far from there....you'll be fine here

Links