Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident?

This is a discussion on Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I was coming home late last night, and struck a deer. Lots of damage to the car, I'm fine, but I'm sure the deer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident?

Question Shooting a Deer After a Road Accident?

So, I was coming home late last night, and struck a deer. Lots of damage to the car, I'm fine, but I'm sure the deer was not as lucky.

So this brings up a question...

If the deer was still alive and obviously suffering, do I have the right to use my concealed weapon to put it out of its misery? This was a somewhat residential neighborhood, and I know you cannot fire a gun within 500' of any residence.

The cellphone did not have a signal, so calling the police while on the scene was not an option. My fear would have been some resident getting nervous about gunshots late at night, and THEN calling the police. Then I would have some explaining to do.

I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this sort of thing. This time, the deer got away, but looking at the damage on the car, the deer probably did not survive the night.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I would have shot it, put it in the bed of my truck, and the first time I got a signal I would have called the sheriff so they could put a tag on it.

After that, it would go in the deep freeze(in appropriate size packages of course).
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Moderator
    I've done it as a driver and I've done it as a Deputy.

It really depends on the political climate of where you are at. In my county, which is mostly rural, its not a big deal. I hate to see an animal suffer.

I've done several deer/vehicle collision reports where the deer was less than dead. If the driver totes I will usually let them put it down if need be.

But none of that may work in NY. Te best thing is to ask an officer there how they handle it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I would have shot it, put it in the bed of my truck, and the first time I got a signal I would have called the sheriff so they could put a tag on it.

After that, it would go in the deep freeze(in appropriate size packages of course).
    I'd have called the sheriff from the house and invited him for venison chili

Lead Moderator
    I would say no. Most likely it is illegal to
    1. Take a deer out of season/ without a permit.
    2. Illegal to discharge a firearm on a road right of way
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I would say no. Most likely it is illegal to
    1. Take a deer out of season/ without a permit.
    2. Illegal to discharge a firearm on a road right of way
    Under "normal" circumstances. Many places have exemptions for this. We get lots of calls about this very thing..escpecially during the rut when Bucks go crazy. If we are hooked up, we tell the people to shoot it themselves if they are able.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

B52
    Just slit its throat with a good pocket knife it's a lot cheaper. Might sound grusome, but the animal will pass very quickly. Then call the sheriff for the tag, next bring it home and salvage what you can. If that's not for you call me up, I love venison!

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    B52 I challenge you to get within hooves range of a thrashing buck to slit it's throat. If you can you deserve the kill, if it doesn't catch you with a hoof (which it turns out are pretty damn gnarly).
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Senior Moderator
    Ditto that. A hurt,scared buck with any sized rack at all will tear you up if you get to close. They are incredibly strong. Its best just to shoot it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

In this state, it is legal to dispatch a wounded animal out of season/without a suitable tag. It is also legal to keep/consume the animal. If you hit it, you may keep it. Some folks use this as a method of hunting.

Senior Moderator
    Some folks use this as a method of hunting.
    You ought to try Southern Mississippi sometime. I honestly dont know of anyone that hasnt hit a deer.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You ought to try Southern Mississippi sometime. I honestly dont know of anyone that hasnt hit a deer.
    Up here , folks mount those deer whistles on their cars. 'Cept they mount the whistles backwards, to lure them closer !

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Here it is legal to shoot the deer and bring it home for dinner.

While some people may not like the idea, it is the right, humane thing to do. Leaving an injured animal to suffer and die slowly is a horrible thing to do/witness.

Followup:

I spoke with the local police this evening, and they said while it may be ethically proper to dispatch the animal, it would have been illegal for the following reasons:

a) Discharging the firearm on a public highway
    b) Discharging the firearm within 500' of nearby residence
    c) Deer out of season

They were very sympathetic, but they said I did the right thing by keeping the CCW right where it was.

Thank you all for responding... it's an interesting discussion!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Here in Virginia I believe the only ones who can legally dispatch a wounded deer like this is the Game Warden (now called Conservation Police) or local police or sheriff deputies. Glad you didn't get hurt. They can do quite a bit of damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links