If attacked by a Mountain lion?

This is a discussion on If attacked by a Mountain lion? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will be camping deep in mountain lion country this Summer (AZ) for an extended time. I'm not looking for another which caliber/round is best ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If attacked by a Mountain lion?

If attacked by a Mountain lion?

I will be camping deep in mountain lion country this Summer (AZ) for an extended time. I'm not looking for another which caliber/round is best argument, but if assuming i was attacked and had time to get off a sighted revolver shot where exactly on the animal should be your primary target? I will be prospecting and have no hunting experience except for small game.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    If you have the time, between the eyes, if you are not 95% sure of a head shot, center chest for a frontal shot, right behind the shoulder for a broadside shot.

If he closes with you, stuff the gun in his ear or mouth and pull the trigger, several times.

He WILL go for your face/throat or (if he can) the back or your neck/head if he can, it's instinctive.

Don't let him get behind you, period.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Take somebody with you that you know you can ourun,the mountain lion will attack the slower morsel
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    As said before, shoot for a shot between the eyes if possible, if not, shoot for the throat. The nose is also a very sensitive spot for an animal and will probably send it running.

If the animal manages to get on top of you first, you will have no choice but to try to shove the gun in its gut, mouth or chest and shoot till you are empty.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Don't walk into an ambush. Walking below rocky outcroppings etc. is how deer become dinner.

Get your buddy to carry too. It's a lot easier to shoot one off someone else than shoot one off your own back.

If you get attacked by a mountain lion, you won't have the composure to get him "between the eyes". That is a fool's statement.

Keep shooting until you kill it. Then put a couple in its head. If a mountain lion attacks you, they don't do it for fun. One of you is going to die. Don't let it be you.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

It might be nice to take some rosary beads with you..... That's a scary summer you got planned.

On the other hand, if you don't get killed driving there you'll probably be ok. Much greater chance of getting killed in a car than by a mountain lion.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    There's been a few threads about this. Most of the time, ML's are harmless and just VERY cool to watch. Its a treat to see them. However, nothing wrong with caution. I know a guy who was attacked by a pair. If one attacks, its likely you'll never see it coming. They are pure-bred hunters by mother nature. They will get you from behind or the side and you might on have time for a snapshot. If you have to, just press the gun to the fur and keep firing until it goes limp.

Obviously, the larger the caliber, the better. There was a thread on this not too long ago and I think the general consensus was something like a .41Mag would be ideal for a handgun round. I'm inclined to agree. Usually when I head out I take my .40 or my 12ga.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

In this case...you are going to be the small game...

I'm sure you will get a shot...IF you see him coming.
    Being aware of your surroundings is certainly going to be a major undertaking here...don't go alone! Take a dog, if possible...it may give you the warning you'll need.

Good Luck...

Stay armed...stay alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never been attacked by a Mountain Lion, but a large pistol with bullets that penetrte deep and a dog would be a good start.

chances are you will never know the lion is watching you. deer have much more atuned senses than humans and lions prey on them all the time. be very aware of what's around you, especially above and behind. they need the element of suprise--they are light and agile and need to kill quickly and cleanly, they are not designed to take on prey head on. they will go for the back of the head and neck in an attempt to break the neck. keep your eyes peeled and shout at any lions you see and it should back down very quickly. if it doesn't, shoot it. head shots, center chest shot, or behind the shoulder in the heart/lung area will put it down clean. anything with less stopping power than a .45 is just going to tick it off.

Get a Holloween mask and wear it on the back of your head so he'll think you can see behind you. This is no joke, it works on many animals.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mtcraigco View Post
    If you have the time, between the eyes, if you are not 95% sure of a head shot, center chest for a frontal shot, right behind the shoulder for a broadside shot.

If he closes with you, stuff the gun in his ear or mouth and pull the trigger, several times.

He WILL go for your face/throat or (if he can) the back or your neck/head if he can, it's instinctive.

Don't let him get behind you, period.
    Listen to this man, he has it right.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I gotta agree with Six on this one, the chances of seeing one are small. I've lived in lion country all my life and have seen 3, two were running across the road.
    Take a good revolver, in a large caliber. load the first two holes with snakeshot, as you will probably need that before anything else.(probably won't even need that)
    Keep your wits about you, and your eyes open, and most important, ENJOY your trip.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    If you get attacked by a mountain lion, you won't have the composure to get him "between the eyes". That is a fool's statement.

Keep shooting until you kill it. Then put a couple in its head. If a mountain lion attacks you, they don't do it for fun. One of you is going to die. Don't let it be you.

I agree with Tubby. Chances are you will never see it coming and you would be lucky to be able to even draw. If it decides to quit attacking, it won't just stand there either. All you can do is use everthing you got in you and fight back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links