Need bicycle suggestions

This is a discussion on Need bicycle suggestions within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I have decided to start bicycle riding a couple of times per week, and I'd like to know exactly how many guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need bicycle suggestions

VIP Member

Need bicycle suggestions

My wife and I have decided to start bicycle riding a couple of times per week, and I'd like to know exactly how many guns we should each carry with us (just kidding somewhat ).

Actually I'm "shopping" for bikes now, and a lot of this has changed since I was a kid. I'd appreciate any information on bicycle brands/models to buy, or brands to stay clear of. We're both in our 50's, we don't plan to do racing, mountain biking or whatever. We'll take some nice long rides on paved bike paths or rides around quiet subdivisions. I've looked at some Schwinn bikes at Academy, seems like they had an Ozone brand too, and I've looked at a local bike shop that had Sedona Giant and a Raleigh. The guy at this bike shop recommended a on-the-road comfort type bike in the brands above. Both had fairly big/comfortable seats and the cost was about $300+ each (I noticed the missed opportunity of buying a new pistol). Just like renting a pistol to try out, we rode the bikes in their parking lot and they felt fine, I'm just worried mostly about getting something that isn't junk and will feel fairly comfortable after a 10-20 mile ride. Like I said we won't be doing this for speed, jumping canyons, or doing flips. We'll just be riding around for pleasure and the exercise.

BTW we will both be CCW of course, and probably some pepperspray that might dissuade a dog. Thanks in advance for ideas, suggestions, or input.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

If you will be mounting a M2 .50 calibre machine gun to the handlebars you will need a frame and wheel base capable of supporting the added weight,I'm betting in that configuration traffic will not be a problem as cars will be giving you a wide berth
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    You need a old school stingray, with racing slick and sissy bar!
    J/K, Giant makes a great bike for the money
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    raleigh makes a good bike and their not overpriced.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    You need a old school stingray, with racing slick and sissy bar!
    With the banana seat too

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    raleigh makes a good bike and their not overpriced.
    +1 on that. I would also suggest checking out Trek bikes. I love Trek, for the money I think they make the best bikes out there. And they make just about any type of bicycle you could ever want.

By the way, this advice comes from a guy who rides an average of 250 miles per week on a bicycle. I have been riding my bikes for a little over a year and I am for sure hooked. It is a great way to stay in shape and a great way to be outside and enjoy the sun and fresh air. Good for you and the wife for wanting to bike and good for you on CCWing while riding. I carry my Glock 23 even when riding in bike-a-thons.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

go to a local magazine rack/store look through bike magazines get ideas about name brand qaulity info on the differnt makes .
    SIGSAUR 1911 gsr 45
    S a W SIGMA 9mm CRAP
    Ruger 10 22
    Black powder 44 cal revolver

Senior Moderator
    Raleigh and Giant both make fine bikes. You can't go wrong with either.

Trek is also a very fine bike builder.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    If you will be mounting a M2 .50 calibre machine gun to the handlebars ........... I'd prefer twins, but I heard that the aluminum frames would crack welds, do you think the steel frame models would hold up with .50 cal. twins?

You need a old school stingray, with racing slick and sissy bar
    Guess what? I still have both of the bicycles I had when I was a kid. My first bike at 7 years old was a full-sized (read adult) Murray bike. It was so tall for me that my dad had to modify the seat lower so I could pedal. I don't know why they bought me such a huge bike, I guess it was marked-down because of a scratch or ding. The other bike is the bananaseat/sissy bar thing. I don't remember the brand, I'll have to look at it again. I made a lot of trips to the convenience store for Icee's on those.

By the way, this advice comes from a guy who rides an average of 250 miles per week on a bicycle Yes Mike I remember previous threads that you are an avid rider, thanks for your input, though I didn't know you rode 12K+ per year ! My FIL's yearly goal is to ride 1K per year and he does do that.........he's 80 years old ! I think that's pretty good. We live out in the country with a long gravel drive to a hwy that I'm pretty wary of riding on, so we're lacking the convenience of going for a quick ride right from the house. We'll get a carrier so we can take our bikes to a safer riding environment a couple of times per week.

*** I think I'll call the bike shop today and see what kind of price they'll make me on the two comfort bikes they suggested, plus a carrier. What about accessory stuff? Water bottle? Gloves?***
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Don't buy a bike because of the seat. Seats are cheap. And a good bike store can give you an aftermarket plush seat for any bike you buy for free if you negotiate it.

I'd look for a bike that comes with a nice lightweight frame, alloy wheels, and personally, I like disk brakes.

I have a old Raleigh cross bike, and a Diamondback full suspension Mountain bike (modified). I like 'em both.

One bike to consider might be the Breezer Uptown 8. Particularly in the U-frame variant, it can be incredibly easy to ride. It's got an 8-gear internal hub, various features suitable for a commuting bike. It's not the lightest unit on the market, but it's solid and functional. It does have an aluminum frame, which some can find to have a bit more road "buzz" than steel-framed bikes. Add a decent Brooks B17, B66 or B33 saddle, and you've got about all you need.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This post is all IMHO:

It sounds like you are on the right track. Nearly any comfort style bike should do. I wouldn't get too caught up in the name -- as long as you stick with a major manufacturer, you should be fine. Electra, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Bianchi, and Raleigh -- I'm sure I'm leaving a few out.

Personally, I'd try out as many as you can. Make sure that the bike you choose has eyelets for mounting a rack. You might not think you want one now but if you ever do, you'll regret not getting a bike that could accommodate one.

Do not buy on the spot. Once you've found a bike you like, go home and do research. Do not pay MSRP for a bike. Feel free to haggle at these bike shops. It is just like shopping for a new gun.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: Get a bike that is the right size. There is a ton of info on bike sizing on the 'net but not much specifically about sizing comfort bikes. Go to your local bike shop and have them fit you. Listen to their advice -- even if the bike seems a bit too tall for your tastes (trust me on this!).

Consider:

Electra Townie -- Very cool bike. Easy riding.

Bianchi Castro Valley -- I know, not a comfort bike, but still: one of the coolest bikes on the market IMHO. Made for taking trips. Comes with fenders, a dyno hub, and lots of eyelets for racks and other accessories (I got one for my wife.)

Raleigh Venture -- Nice up-right, super comfortable ride. Surprisingly fast for a comfort. :)

I'm an avid cyclist/triathlete.

My advice is to go to a large specialty bike store that carries multiple brands and ask for their advice. You wouldn't ask the clerk at Wally World for advice on a gun purchase, don't do it for a bike either.....

Give them your budget and explain exactly how you intend to use the bikes and you should come away with several good recommendations.

Good brands that will have models that will interest you include, Trek, Breezer, Specialized, Giant, Raleigh, and Schwinn.

Then get out and ride......it's a great activity!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One bike to consider might be the Breezer Uptown 8.
    Ooh! +++1 on the breezer. Excellent suggestion.

Lead Moderator
    Also ask at the bike store if they do a free adjustment after about 30 days. Most good stores do since there is a lot of cable stretching that can go on in that first month.

I hate to say it, but from what I've seen in the past the cheaper the bike, the better the chance it will become a "closet queen". A good bike will run a couple hundred bucks! (In other words Toys-r-Us isn't the place to buy if you plan on a long term relationship with your bike. )
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links